Hacking Hardware Are UV resin and UV solder masks different functions?

DawnWorkout

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Hello friends
I watched a lot of installation videos. Some workers fixed the D-point with a green solder mask and others with a transparent UV resin.
I think the two products have different prices and different ingredients. Which one should I buy? And what's the difference?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
UV resin is most likely a resin that cures under UV light, usually not going to be conductive and otherwise fairly good for the annoyance of having to use UV on things (most will not have UV torch to hand, though I suppose the sun will do) and possibly clean it afterwards.
Possibly a bit overkill and something I reserve more if I am making a whole board or need to protect a whole board.

"Green solder mask" I am not sure what you mean by that but chances are the alternative for any trace repairs will be the same thing they used for conformal coating, aka clear nail polish. If it is for repair work and you don't plan to have your switch used in high humidity environments then go for that, especially if you have a woman in your life that will lend you some.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello friends
I watched a lot of installation videos. Some workers fixed the D-point with a green solder mask and others with a transparent UV resin.
I think the two products have different prices and different ingredients. Which one should I buy? And what's the difference?
Use the stuff that's made for it (solder mask), you can also use nail polish if you have some nearby, they're made of the same thing. UV resin is probably effective, but there's no point in buying it just for that as it's not the best option, those people probably had some laying around already.
You should also get a UV torch to cure the solder mask, it makes things easier. UV torches are pretty cheap since you don't need a fancy UVC one.

doctorgoat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nail polish is absolutely good to keep around for electronics. Like, just a clear coat. There are other ones (color changing for heat detection!) for weirder purposes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto