Hacking Question Are modded Joycons charged when attached?

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know that Joycons are not recognized as directly attached to the Switch anymore, if pins 9 and 10 are connected. But what about charging? Are the modded Joycons still charging while attached?

MightyMoe

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
This problem occurs only for some users, not for all.
Does it have to do with the console / controller build? Or is it the way you mod the joycon? Because I did the bended tin foil method and it works perfectly, except for the fact that joycon isn't recognized as connected.. So I keep removing the foil after every boot.. Might it work if I tried a different method or if it's not recognized it won't be recognized?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it have to do with the console / controller build? Or is it the way you mod the joycon? Because I did the bended tin foil method and it works perfectly, except for the fact that joycon isn't recognized as connected.. So I keep removing the foil after every boot.. Might it work if I tried a different method or if it's not recognized it won't be recognized?
bending the pin will make it unrecognizable to the system software though they still charge

GalaxyYT

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used the tinfoil method. I cut it so that the tinfoil is touching the pins, but the pins are still exposed so the switch recognizes the joycon, and it still puts me into rcm. I don't know if this is possible if you bend/solder the pins, but as someone said, i think it doesn't get recognized for only some people.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I had a theory, that it depends on your joy-con fw. So I updated mine, but it still works the same (I have soldered pin 9 and 10 together).
Is the joy-con pushed deep enough?

Reactions: Centergaming

MightyMoe

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I had a theory, that it depends on your joy-con fw. So I updated mine, but it still works the same (I have soldered pin 9 and 10 together).
Is the joy-con pushed deep enough?

Any more pushing and it goes out the other side...

The thing is, I tried many foils, different lengths, different thickness.. As long as I could get into RCM, joycon isn't detected.

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine is charging just fine, I soldered two wires to the 10 pad and the 1 pad and lead them to the button that disconnects the joycon in the back of the controller so all i have to do is press that button + vol up to boot into RCM

Reactions: crazy_p

Naked_Snake

Constant Miscreant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Mine don’t because I bent pins 9 into 10 on the joycon and pin 10 has snapped off my switch my normal unmodified joycon is flat and is not recognised, my modded joycon is however, I’m waiting for a new rail replacement to arrive and a second joycon so I can do the solder mod

Last edited by Naked_Snake,

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Mine is charging just fine, I soldered two wires to the 10 pad and the 1 pad and lead them to the button that disconnects the joycon in the back of the controller so all i have to do is press that button + vol up to boot into RCM
Same. The most elegant solution.

Reactions: wicksand420

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Any more pushing and it goes out the other side...

The thing is, I tried many foils, different lengths, different thickness.. As long as I could get into RCM, joycon isn't detected.
Same here. I use tin foil to connect pins 9 and 10 and the Joycon is not physically detected anymore. What also happens is that somehow the Switch's battery is drained a lot faster. Anyone else experienced this?

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You boys who bend your pins are either crackers or stupid. Once they break, which they will, then what? New joycon. You obviously haven't got the skills to replace the pins or you would have already modded it internally avoiding the need to bend the sodding pins in the first place. Get a jig or use a less daft method. And before you all go all "triggered", I'm trying to help.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
You boys who bend your pins are either crackers or stupid. Once they break, which they will, then what? New joycon. You obviously haven't got the skills to replace the pins or you would have already modded it internally avoiding the need to bend the sodding pins in the first place. Get a jig or use a less daft method. And before you all go all "triggered", I'm trying to help.
Then you don't need pin 9. Bam... Joy-con still working fine.
But to be honest, soldering pin 9 and 10 togehter (pads inside the joy-con) is the best overall solution.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Evoc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bent pins 9 & 10 using a screwdriver, not had any issues at all. It still functions exactly how it should, charges fine, switch knows if it's attached or not. It's super handy for being able to enter RCM!

Reactions: CrimsonMaple

MightyMoe

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
Same here. I use tin foil to connect pins 9 and 10 and the Joycon is not physically detected anymore. What also happens is that somehow the Switch's battery is drained a lot faster. Anyone else experienced this?

Didn't have that battery issue so far, but I did read somewhere in this forum (IDK how true it is) that holding your power button for 15 seconds will discharge the capacitors or something and fix battery calibration issues.. Worth at try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Hi hi!