Hardware Are devs AFRAID to build real hardware?

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Wii has been out for 8 months and we have not seen a SINGLE 3rd party controller (or attachment)! What is going on here? No 3rd party Wii Remotes, no 3rd party Nunchucks, not to mention nothing innovative that plugs into the Wii Remote. Where are these 3rd party offerings? Are they too busy making plastic holders in the shape of bats, swords, and guns that they have no time to make real attachments?

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I dunno, I'm not too fond of 3rd party controllers anyway, these days they typically are junk. I have one for my XBOX because it was free after rebate but I also have two microsoft ones which are what I use. And my N64 only has one controller gamestop sold me and I really don't see the point in buying a 3rd party because they are as bad as 1st party ones lol. People are saying mad catz quality is crap for xbox360. I think the problem with the wii is the connectors and they're probably still studying how it works or something.

laurenz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Infrared sensors and motion sensing hardware is not easy to get and mass produce I guess, it's probably not worth the effort.
On top of that, the wiimote is already perfect like it is, it fits great in every hand.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will back up gamermole:
http://www.game.co.uk/ViewProduct.aspx?cat=&mid=330063

There are chargers and battery packs galore:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/4Gamers-Remote-Cha...i/dp/B000OKXCQU

3rd party sensor bars. (kyno I think they were called)

controller skins (see first link)

custom cases + skins. (a lot of the chip sites stock these)

I can assure you there will be a bunch of gun replacements as and when too (not least of all my own offering).

I think the real reason though is most other pads are nowt but purely off the shelf stuff (there are guides to making your own megadrive pads somewhere around), the Wii is made of slightly more complex stuff. Not sure if the same can be said of the nunchuck though.

Edit: must hit reply quicker.

gamermole

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
at this point theres probably more hardware then games
rofl2.gif
has anyone seen them boxing glove attachments?

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I realize there are 3rd party cables, sensors and chargers, but what I'm talking about is an actual 3rd party attachment with BUTTONS! I suppose the Guitar Hero controller will be the first one!

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I realize there are 3rd party cables, sensors and chargers, but what I'm talking about is an actual 3rd party attachment with BUTTONS! I suppose the Guitar Hero controller will be the first one!

So...you want a controller to plug into the Wii controller so you can play with a game without the Wii controller?

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No he wants something that is completely new, like a Mad Catz Wiimote. All the current accessories do is make it look like something different, it doesn't really do anything. He wants companies to make their own stuff, instead of just adding useless crap to the Nintendo controllers.

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On the release list at work, under accessories, there will some listings of "OB WII CONTROLLE" that was listed at something like £29.99 or something similar and due for release in October. Now the catch is that Game are fond of columns with set amount of characters (hence the lack of "R"). So it's possible that it's actually something for the controller, rather than a controller itself. But it is possible that Gameware are trying to produce something!

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Google search it you'll find it's a Train Simulation game with a massive controller setup:

http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/016/016175/img_1272530.html

What I'd like to see is that Gamecube style Classic Controller that plugs into the Wii Remote, it would make a lot of sense to have such a thing for N64 VC games. Also, someone will develop a new Zapper now that the Nintendo one is announced that will let you hold it differently, maybe put the trigger in the right place, that sort of thing.

MAD_BOY

Lazy bum
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No he wants something that is completely new, like a Mad Catz Wiimote. All the current accessories do is make it look like something different, it doesn't really do anything. He wants companies to make their own stuff, instead of just adding useless crap to the Nintendo controllers.
Exactly! While I actually have no problem with the Wii Remote, I can think of a few attachments that would be a lot of fun:

* A fishing rod with a working reel (not just a plastic Wii Remote holder in the shape of a fishing rod)
* A wireless nunchuck (that connects to the Wii Remote using a small sensor pluged into the Wii Remote)
* A steering wheel that actually has buttons on it (not a shell)
* A one-handed gun (with an analog stick)
* A nunchuck with a large (full hand), sensitive trigger as the Z button

etc.

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, I realize there are 3rd party cables, sensors and chargers, but what I'm talking about is an actual 3rd party attachment with BUTTONS!  I suppose the Guitar Hero controller will be the first one!

like...the densha de go! (or whatever its name is) controller?

I have no idea what you are referring to
wacko.gif
dengo01.jpg

to that
Wow

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

* A fishing rod with a working reel (not just a plastic Wii Remote holder in the shape of a fishing rod)
The Dreamcast rod was excellent, I even use it on other games it kinda works like a Wiimote!

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The Dreamcast rod was excellent, I even use it on other games it kinda works like a Wiimote!

So did/do I. Have you ever played Soul Calibur with the fishing rod? Great fun!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o