OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
txti.es
XP
Country
France
I tried to setup MAME on WII to play the original PACMAN arcade ROM and dealing with inputs have been a nightmare... (I am using the MAME emulator from Homebrew browser)

1. When I changes input in "Configure General Inputs" the change I make are revert as soon as I launch a game or exit the emulator.
  2. I found no explanation of what the inputs in the list really are. The closest thing I found is this
From the link in 2. I guess the actual correspondance for the GCcontroller :
  • up/dow/left/right are for DPAD
  • right-up/right-down/right-.... are for c-joystick
  • left-up/left-down/... are for main joystick
  • Button 1 to 6 are for A B X Y L R (by default they are setup as A B X Y Z L, and R is setup to button 7)
  • In my opinion Z should be either select or coin. Select is in Player 1 Controls and empty by default. Coin is not in Player 1 Controls but in Other Controls
  • Start should be start and not Button 8 as it is by default
Does Anyone succeed to play something on MAME, with a GC controller ?
How do you setup inputs and save them ?
What are input correspondance which work well with classic games like pacman and space invaders ?

Any help is welcome toward the accomplishment of my Wii based Arcade Cabinet ;)

Love and PCB,
Aeredren

Last edited by Aeredren,
Reactions: 0arsoluto

Aeredren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
txti.es
XP
Country
France

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No reason why they wouldn’t be what they were. The version of mame used hasn’t changed. For Android or iOS either, that I know of. If anyone has tried to update a bit, it would be retroarch. But… mame is a low level emulator (favoring accuracy over speed) so newer versions don’t tend to do well on older hardware. The more accurate and more bugs that get squashed, the slower it gets. In many cases, at least.

You’ll find that you can’t use roms from the current romset, on this version; only if they haven’t changed. It’s a headache for games with chd files. Took me a hot minute to get the killer instinct hdd converted to the correct version on my iPad Pro!

Reactions: Aeredren

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You meant MAMEWii?
Or SDL MAMEWii?
Or RetroArch's MAME core?
At OP: I've literally did the job and tested every single MAME rom with MAMEWii and RetroArch's own MAME core.

Turns out RetroArch's MAME core beats MAMEWii in compatibility as given the limitations of MAMEWii (150 roms at once if I recall correctly) is nothing compared to RetroArch's MAME which has unlimited rom compatibility if using certain romsets.
The only game I've had problems emulating with RetroArch MAME core and MAME2003_PLUS cores are: Tetris (SEGA) and Joe&Mac Returns.

If you'd like to use RetroArch instead, I think I can find the time to answer your questions regarding setting it up and compatibility.

Aeredren

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
txti.es
XP
Country
France
If you'd like to use RetroArch instead, I think I can find the time to answer your questions regarding setting it up and compatibility.

Thank you for this proposition (and sorry for flooding with retro arch/Mame posts lately haha) !

I guess my biggest struggle is with Pac-Man MAME's game setup itself, I couldn't figure out how to start the game on PC either until I setup dip-switches to free play...

To conclude : I'll do further testing with MAME 2003 retro arch core when I'll get another GC controller. (My analog stick broke yesterday after too much Street Fighter 2 :'( ). And if I identify a problem I cannot solve I'll get in touch. :)

Last edited by Aeredren,

0arsoluto

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I tried to setup MAME on WII to play the original PACMAN arcade ROM and dealing with inputs have been a nightmare... (I am using the MAME emulator from Homebrew browser)

1. When I changes input in "Configure General Inputs" the change I make are revert as soon as I launch a game or exit the emulator.
  2. I found no explanation of what the inputs in the list really are. The closest thing I found is this
From the link in 2. I guess the actual correspondance for the GCcontroller :
  • up/dow/left/right are for DPAD
  • right-up/right-down/right-.... are for c-joystick
  • left-up/left-down/... are for main joystick
  • Button 1 to 6 are for A B X Y L R (by default they are setup as A B X Y Z L, and R is setup to button 7)
  • In my opinion Z should be either select or coin. Select is in Player 1 Controls and empty by default. Coin is not in Player 1 Controls but in Other Controls
  • Start should be start and not Button 8 as it is by default
Does Anyone succeed to play something on MAME, with a GC controller ?
How do you setup inputs and save them ?
What are input correspondance which work well with classic games like pacman and space invaders ?

Any help is welcome toward the accomplishment of my Wii based Arcade Cabinet ;)

Love and PCB,
Aeredren
I am working on a version for vertical arcade games using a vertical wiiflow with only emulated vertical games (mame, ps1, gamecube and wii) using retroarch wii (soon I will make a version only for horizontal games). I use to emulate the retroarch hexaeco ss games both the split cores from core "a" to core "g" and I also use fba and some other core for mame. forget to remap the buttons from retroarch's own "input" menu. enter retroarch options and go to "system options" and select "enabled" "show mame menu" then when you click again to open the retroarch menu the classic mame menu will appear on the screen, now go in that menu to " remap controls for this game" and by default you will be able to select each necessary button in the game by assigning the button you want. Once the changes have been made for each game, save the configuration in the retroarch menu but go to the option to show the mame menu and deactivate it before. For certain mame cores you can open this classic mame menu by assigning a button to that menu that corresponds to the value "R2 button (trigger) in retroarch input, so on that button assign the button you want from your controller. in the case that you use certain cores that that classic mame menu does not appear in any of the ways that I quote you will have no choice but to modify the buttons by retroarch's own "input" menu. Since you want to make an arcade with Wii I recommend that you Assign the "quit" input that you will find in the retroarch menu to your arcade button, so pressing that button will exit the game without having to enter the retroarch menu itself. There are more tricks to prepare retroarch and wiiflow to mount arcades on wii But I don't want to go any further. Regards

Reactions: Aeredren

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1