• Views 32,048
  • Replies 130

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, How does the dev game work? Is it due to the lack of NPDRM encryption?
yup. The big question is if they managed to remove the npdrm protection from a retail game or if they had access to the development build (no npdrm added). Right now, without any more information from the hackers, the second option seems more likely.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
yup. The big question is if they managed to remove the npdrm protection from a retail game or if they had access to the development build (no npdrm added). Right now, without any more information from the hackers, the second option seems more likely.
are there any/many known cases of games being leaked from a studio? especially console and not pc?
i don't really follow the industry and news, so i'm not sure.

it's just weird, unlikely - but yes possible.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are there any/many known cases of games being leaked from a studio? especially console and not pc?
i don't really follow the industry and news, so i'm not sure.

it's just weird, unlikely - but yes possible.
There's Adventure Time, which was found on a testkit PixelButt bought. Other than that; no because people value their jobs. But what's suspicious to me in this release is that it has a lot of things you find in debug builds but not unencrypted retail builds. And it seems weird that they would "insert" this information unless it's part of the way they dump it (which is equally weird).

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any way to turn a cart game into a digital?

Like since the license file is on the cart can you place it in the license folder on the vita and then copy the gro0 partition into the app folder, or does the cart eboot only look to the cart for the license file and not vita as well?

Either way, would anyone be able share their license file for digital games and play them across multiple systems? It's probably detectable and result in bans like public headers do for 3DS, but would it work in the first place at all?

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No gro0 licenses are signed to only work from gro0. If you have kernelhax, then you might be able to write a fake gro0 driver (haha pirates writing a vita driver. Please submit a vita-toolchain pull request when you finished adding kernel module support to the toolchain.) that mounts a .psv rom and that would work.

Other way is to hack npdrm to use fake licenses (à la PS3).

Last edited by yifan_lu,
Reactions: MDashK

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
mr gas/major tom had dumped carts working as digital titles, we just needed the cart to get the license from each reboot.
but how does that work if the cart licenses only work for loading from gro0?

if in your expert opinion yifanlu, that from the evidence you see in the eboot, that it is from a dev build, then i guess i am less believing that it's 'real' now - a shame.

Reactions: Rizzorules

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mr gas/major tom had dumped carts working as digital titles, we just needed the cart to get the license from each reboot.
but how does that work if the cart licenses only work for loading from gro0?

if in your expert opinion yifanlu, that from the evidence you see in the eboot, that it is from a dev build, then i guess i am less believing that it's 'real' now - a shame.
Right that method seemed weird to me. But my hypothesis is that Sony at some point was going to support "cart installing" and allowed gro0 licenses to be used in ux0 as long as the cart is validated once. They never finished the feature but traces were left in.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Right that method seemed weird to me. But my hypothesis is that Sony at some point was going to support "cart installing" and allowed gro0 licenses to be used in ux0 as long as the cart is validated once. They never finished the feature but traces were left in.
and one last thing! not really about hacking, but why when we turn on the vita, and have a cart in, or just insert a card - why does it do the loading thing and take a few seconds of my time?
why doesn't that authentication happen on booting the game?

Reactions: Rizzorules

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and one last thing! not really about hacking, but why when we turn on the vita, and have a cart in, or just insert a card - why does it do the loading thing and take a few seconds of my time?
why doesn't that authentication happen on booting the game?
Well it copies stuff like icon0 to appmeta. That's how livearea updates work. Why does it do it every time? Good question. Lazy Sony engineers? Idk.

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Only if you send him feet +1