Any way to use Riivolution + Backups?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Been playing a lot Mario Kart: Retro Rewind lately, and just noticed that my original Mario Kart disc is begging me to put it at rest.

I know that Riivolution wasn't made for "piracy purposes" which is why it requires original discs... but I can't find information about possible Riivolution patches/hacks/branch/mod that allows backup loading.

What I did found though, was a Riivolution mod that enables Ocarina Codes, so now... Mario Kart Wii has automatic Jump Boosts/Tricks, no blurry filter and no sun glare, so that's nice!

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Been playing a lot Mario Kart: Retro Rewind lately, and just noticed that my original Mario Kart disc is begging me to put it at rest.

I know that Riivolution wasn't made for "piracy purposes" which is why it requires original discs... but I can't find information about possible Riivolution patches/hacks/branch/mod that allows backup loading.

What I did found though, was a Riivolution mod that enables Ocarina Codes, so now... Mario Kart Wii has automatic Jump Boosts/Tricks, no blurry filter and no sun glare, so that's nice!
https://github.com/TCAtrevor/RiivolutionIsoBuilder/

This is a Riivolution ISO Builder, but this is a fork which fixes an issue with the program. https://github.com/Asu-chan/RiivolutionIsoBuilder/releases/latest/

To get it working, grab the zip from there and replace it with the attached exe. I've found that this has an issue where it doesn't properly replace the main.dol, but using Wiimms ISO Tools you're able to fix that

Attachments

• RiivolutionIsoBuilder.zip
    39.7 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: JuanMena

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
https://github.com/TCAtrevor/RiivolutionIsoBuilder/

This is a Riivolution ISO Builder, but this is a fork which fixes an issue with the program. https://github.com/Asu-chan/RiivolutionIsoBuilder/releases/latest/

To get it working, grab the zip from there and replace it with the attached exe. I've found that this has an issue where it doesn't properly replace the main.dol, but using Wiimms ISO Tools you're able to fix that
Oh! It means I have to build the ISO myself? Cool! Will try it as soon as I can.

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Oh! It means I have to build the ISO myself? Cool! Will try it as soon as I can.
Yeah, I've been playing with it the past couple of days actually. There's just a couple of bugs because the nature of Riivolution and the tricks it does. (the main.dol that the game patches seems to be automatically grabbed by Riivolution and not on the XML, which is not actually checked by the patcher).

mavv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should be noted that AsuChan's ISO Builder once contained malware and any builds you find might still do.
can you please provide a source?? i been looking for a method to get around to doing this and this tool looks to be a blessing. i tried it and it worked almost seamlessly, yet this comment is making me really anxious about what i just did

made me actually register to this website just to ask you this because i can't find any mention of asuchan on this website, and the tool being malware anywhere but here

to update, i downloaded firstly from asuchan's git link and ran the program with no warnings of any malware existing. i even tossed the exe into virustotal to get a flat 0 response. i then downloaded the compiled forked build that Larsenv posted and that immediately triggered malware detection warnings from windows defender, so i'm at a loss

Last edited by mavv,

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
Old drama:
1710157433319.png

1710157446306.png

mavv

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that’s honestly crazy. but, i’m still confused. this is about universalisobuilder, which doesn’t seem to be available, and it looked like RSM was responsible for the malware. is riivolutionisobuilder the same tool?

edit: i thoroughly read through and didn't realize that asuchan was RSM on the first read over. really really freaky

is there a tool you can confidently say does serve the purpose of iso patching without it being associated with malware?
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, I've been playing with it the past couple of days actually. There's just a couple of bugs because the nature of Riivolution and the tricks it does. (the main.dol that the game patches seems to be automatically grabbed by Riivolution and not on the XML, which is not actually checked by the patcher).
is there any bit of advice you give to get around this as well? looking at Retro Rewind it doesn't feature its own main.dol, so i'm not sure if i'm missing anything or misunderstanding the process

Last edited by mavv,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't know this existed and it's pretty good from what I've played so far! Thanks for the recommendation!

Couldn't find a cover for it so i knocked this up if any one wants to use... Edit... Improved and added alt sky colour!

RetroRewind.cover.pngRetroRewindAlt.cover.png

Last edited by Lostbhoy,
Reactions: jeannotte

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Didn't know this existed and it's pretty good from what I've played so far! Thanks for the recommendation!

Couldn't find a cover for it so i knocked this up if any one wants to use... Edit... Improved and added alt sky colour!

View attachment 425907View attachment 425909
In the future please do not use that cover template you used by StardogChampion. It has a Teen rating on the front and an Everyone rating on the back, and it annoys me. If you wanna make more, GameTDB's a good place to put covers, and a nicer template is on http://deviantart.com/neorame/art/Vector-Game-Cover-Templates-v6-304146012

Reactions: jeannotte

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: wtf bunny