Hardware Any use for Skylanders dongles?

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I recently recieved a large bag of gaming/tech stuff, There was a Wii in the bag with this USB dongle.
s-l300.jpg

I didn't know what it was (Because apparently I'm an idiot and didn't recognize the picture at the time), so I took it up to my local retro game place and asked about it, and the guy behind the counter just said it was a Bluetooth dongle for a game, nothing more. Out of curiosity, I decided to plug it into my laptop and see what it's USB tag was, and when I read "Spyro Portal", it instantly clicked. So, I'm coming here to ask more about the technical side, as I can't find much through google, and am hoping I could use it for something else, like a Bluetooth dongle, assuming that: A.) Drivers have been made to do so and B.) The portals even use Bluetooth. I know there's a mobile portal that does, but I dunno about the console ones). Any info at all would help. If all else, I may just end up getting a portal to use as an RFID reader.

nightweb

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
From the picture and what I can recall (not 100% certain it's morning here) the only version of the portals to use bluetooth were the tablet versions and they didn't use dongles, also the 360 version had to have a custom accessory chip in it to make it work and I think they had to make it wired for that one, the picture on the Dongle looks like a first Gen Skylanders portal so what I think you have is a dongle for either a Wii or a PS3 Portal but it only works on them and the pc for the first games and will only connect to a portal not anything else.

As for using it as an RFID reader there are Drivers available from Activision's website (if you can't find them let me know and I'll upload them have a install file lying around somewhere XD ) but it installs the portal as a Human interface device (like keyboard) and they only work with the game and the web game. I also remember reading about someone who was interested in how the portal worked and while he was tinkering Activision send him a cess and Desist even though his work wasn't public so noone really knows (or admits to knowing) how they work which is proberbly why google didn't give you much luck.

Your Waffling TL : DR

A.) Yes but only to work with games
B.) Yes but only the tablet version's did and you got Wii/PS3 Dongle

Sorry not much and lots of waffle but hope it helps even a little

Last edited by nightweb,

LanHikariDS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assumed it was the Wii one, as I didn't clarify, the dongle was in the Wii in the bag, not in the bag with the Wii. I had heard I could use the console portals with the PC version with the official drivers, but I didn't mean using it for Skylanders, I meant just using the RFID for other things, like a different way to unlock my computer, which I'd need custom drivers for, not the official ones. I also knew the mobile versions of the portals used Bluetooth, but I wasn't sure what connection the console ones used.

MrPeach2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rejoined just to answer this question...

This is the wireless adapter for the Wii/PS3/everything but an XBox Skylanders "Portal Of Power" which came with some versions of the game.
Without the "Portal Of Power" it's worthless. All the RFID magic happens in the portal.

That said, I have several portals without adapters. Either you can sell me the dongle, or I can sell you a portal... If you like.

Brandon45

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the picture and what I can recall (not 100% certain it's morning here) the only version of the portals to use bluetooth were the tablet versions and they didn't use dongles, also the 360 version had to have a custom accessory chip in it to make it work and I think they had to make it wired for that one, the picture on the Dongle looks like a first Gen Skylanders portal so what I think you have is a dongle for either a Wii or a PS3 Portal but it only works on them and the pc for the first games and will only connect to a portal not anything else.

As for using it as an RFID reader there are Drivers available from Activision's website (if you can't find them let me know and I'll upload them have a install file lying around somewhere XD ) but it installs the portal as a Human interface device (like keyboard) and they only work with the game and the web game. I also remember reading about someone who was interested in how the portal worked and while he was tinkering Activision send him a cess and Desist even though his work wasn't public so noone really knows (or admits to knowing) how they work which is proberbly why google didn't give you much luck.

Your Waffling TL : DR

A.) Yes but only to work with games
B.) Yes but only the tablet version's did and you got Wii/PS3 Dongle

Sorry not much and lots of waffle but hope it helps even a little
mirror the links I cant find them any where
Send them over here

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

NVM i found it
mirror the links I cant find them any where
Send them over here

Attachments

• spyrowebworldportaldriver.exe.zip
    6.3 MB · Views: 724

nightweb

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Yup sorry took a bit had to dig it up off and old Hard Drive, I pop'ed it up here for you till I find a more permanent location for it,
N

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E