Hardware Any good Wii HDDs?

CONDO_BRO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Okay so I would like to use Amazon to buy a usb HDD for use on my wii like for usb loader gx and everything I find says usb 3.0 and I don't think wii's can read 3.0. If anyone has any personal experiences with some wii HDDS can someone link them too me please?

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I think the USB 3 drives will work, I believe they have backwards compatibility with USB 2.

Basically most USB drives you can find on Amazon should work!

I recommend you get a WD Passport, they’re compact drives that can hold a lot of games.

Last edited by Larsenv,

istmeedoofer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I suppose it depends on how many games you want to hold, but I got a reclaimed 160Gb HDD and enclosure for less than £20, perfect for my needs..

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Okay so I would like to use Amazon to buy a usb HDD for use on my wii like for usb loader gx and everything I find says usb 3.0 and I don't think wii's can read 3.0. If anyone has any personal experiences with some wii HDDS can someone link them too me please?
have a wd elements drive, works perfectly with my wii and ps3

usb 3 or 2, doesn't matter.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pretty much any usb 3.0 drive will work i suggest a western digital drive

RyanAnayaMc

The ACE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As it was said, Wiis can read USB 3.0, but it will only run at USB 2.0 speeds. I'd suggest a drive that's not that big also, as Wii games are not that big at around 5GB each. a 500GB can hold 100 games, which is probably overkill. I'd go with a 250GB for the Wii. Seagates and Western Digitals are good grabs.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put my wii shit on the same drive I use for my 360 and PS3. Just a generic 1tb external (means it's a full size drive with it's own power supply not a tiny portable with USB power) brand was Verbatim, I think, but that's just the case, the internal drive doesn't even show up as that brand on PC, I forget how it shows up. Working great for nearly a decade now. It's not 3.0, no reason for it on those 3 systems. Not that 3.0 shouldn't work, since they're supposedly back compatible with 2.0.

If you plan to use it with a Wii U (like in Wii Mode) you definitely want to get one with a power supply, not USB. MIne works fine on that (after hacking Wii Mode) just like on the Wii. Just plug it in there instead after launching Wii Mode.

CONDO_BRO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
As it was said, Wiis can read USB 3.0, but it will only run at USB 2.0 speeds. I'd suggest a drive that's not that big also, as Wii games are not that big at around 5GB each. a 500GB can hold 100 games, which is probably overkill. I'd go with a 250GB for the Wii. Seagates and Western Digitals are good grabs.
Well I just don't want to run wii games on it... I want one that is compatible with nintendont and can play wii and gc games..

RyanAnayaMc

The ACE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I just don't want to run wii games on it... I want one that is compatible with nintendont and can play wii and gc games..

Technically anything that can be formatted to FAT32 can work with anything on the Wii. If you want to play both, 250GB would still be a healthy size. As I said before, 5GB for Wii games, and Gamecube games are about 2GB, so you can hold lots of those. If you also use other emulators like NES, SNES, N64, etc, those would work flawlessly also with any HDD.

Tl;dr Pretty much any HDD would work with the Wii so long as it uses a USB port. It would work no problem with any emulator, Nintendont, and Wii backup loaders.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I used a WD My Passport Ultra (1TB), which is a USB 3.0 compliant drive, for a while with no complaints or issues. I use the same drive in a Wii U now but was required to get a Y-split cable to provide additional power to the drive to work with the Wii U.

Remember USB 3.0 Type-A cables are backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and USB 1 (Type-A) ports. Just realize you won't get the speed benefits that USB 3.0 offers in a 2.0 or older port.

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol Veho goatse device! +1