Gaming Any good multiplayer RPGs for the PS3?

bozeefus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend just won a Wii and a PS3 and we are wondering what sort of multiplayer RPGs are available for the PS3.

We're looking for something similar to Diablo 3 where all the players are on the screen at a given time and can roam the world and kill things + level up. How far you roam is dictated by everyone else's position.

Any suggestions?

Shonic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't really "roam around", but a good multiplayer RPG that I've fallen in love with is "Tales of Grace F". I don't know if you'll enjoy it that much since you are looking more for a western RPG, but I am in love with all the Tales of series and would highly recommend them to anyone.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will toss a vote in for Borderlands- very little else managed to evoke the Diablo feel even though it is technically a shooting game. There is a sequel due in a couple of months that is shaping up to be the thing that carries me through to the new year which is good as there is little else announced thus far other than maybe Resident Evil 6 (which is more of an obligation thing) I care to play.
There are a few multiplayer elements affairs some of which have already been mentioned but heading towards more actual multiplayer Two Worlds II has a multiplayer option but I have not really done much in it.

If you are looking for a straight up dungeon crawler Sacred 2 did get a port to consoles and although I suggest the PC version instead (it is quite demanding of a PC but nothing a half decent gaming rig built in the last 4 odd years will not be able to handle well) the console version was pretty good. If you really did like the Diablo model and the earlier games in the series you might not like it but Dungeon Siege 3 got a PS3 version- characters had to be on screen at the same time and although there was levelling it was not drop in with your character and level it up but use the character from the host's game (which did sidestep the everybody needs to be roughly the same level problem but not in a way everybody likes).

I am probably supposed to say White Knight Chronicles and the sequel but I have not played it and if I went searching I would probably know far more than I do right now so I leave that to you.

I am told tales of graces F has a multiplayer option somewhat closer to the likes of the old sonic games (you set characters and they can be controlled by others) but I have not played it or the wii version it came from. Along the same lines (and local only) there is Eternal Sonata which I really rate as a general RPG (granted this was the 360 version and I am told the PS3 version is slightly different although most say not by an awful lot and what there is might well be an improvement) but have not done anything multiplayer in it.

After this I am looking The Lord of the Rings: War in the North and similar titles which at best are RPG elements and nothing I am gagging to replay (which I usually find is pretty damning of a title like this) and mass effect 3 which I have not played so I can not properly comment on.

Last year looked like things would do well for this sort of thing but alas it did not come to pass.
For what it is worth though a couple of links
http://www.co-optimus.com/system.php?id=2&direction=ASC&playerComp=%3E%3D&playerNum=2&genre=&esrb=%25&released=Y
http://www.co-optimus.com/system/12/playstation-network.html (PSN by the way I have not done anything on and http://www.co-optimus.com/system.php?id=12&direction=ASC&playerComp=%3E%3D&playerNum=2&genre=4&esrb=%25&released=All looks like it might have something).

mori123

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
White Knight chronicles does have Some amazing multiplayer features but You will need more than 1 system to play multiplayer it has guilds and gear and grind to your hearts content. for me it was a good replacement for wow, when i quit.

clonesniper666

KRII LUN AUS
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dungeon Siege 3 was decent and has some aspects that you might relate to Diablo(not many though).

Borderlands is good if you like FPS mixed with a little RPG and loot collecting(that is the real selling point).

Games that require multiple systems and an online connection:
White Knight Chronicles 2 ( no reason to buy the 1st game the 2nd has the 1st game already on the disc)
Demon/Dark Souls

That is really the only games that have multiplayer besides Graces F and Sacred 2. Honestly most RPGs are meant for solo play but a few offer multiplayer as well, some older ps1 games may also have some coop but I really do not have a list of those RPGs.

ColeGingeyRamey

Trophies
Website
easyfreebiez.com
XP
Country
United States
Kingdoms of Amalur :Reckoning I love the game Great graphics for ps3 and An awesome selection of weapons! If your looking for wii go monster hunter: Tri Ill help you out on that game! Just p.m. me with your user and stuff and ill help you out.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Online game where its focus is single player with pvp elements and coop = Dark Souls
Local multipalyer rpg = Tales of Graces F
WKC2 is ok. I wouldnt say its bad becasue the 2 really revamped the battle system into something 10 times better than the first. It starts to get a little grindy at the later part of your levels once you hit end-game conent in multiplayer.

potato3334

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tales of Graces f is excellent, combat is very fun and fast paced and playing with friends is a blast, since you can coordinate your attacks together.

Besides, the AI can be sucky at times so its nice to have a real buddy controlling a character.

Metrenix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont know if anyone has mentioned this one on this thread but dungeon hunter is really awesome. especially if you play it with a friend :3 four classes and that nice diablo 3 feel to it, well i really liked it, look up some gameplay on youtube to make sure this is what your looking for

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I was near the test market for the NES and man did it make my 2600 look like ass lol