ANY Good Game Review sites?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He doesn't review games, he just points out everything he doesn't like.

He points out what's wrong and what's right. I mean his reviews do start off with "REVIEWS ______" in the intro. He does note positive aspects, you just have to get used to his style.

He's still a rather genius analyst and also incredibly funny.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yahtzee's reviews are terrible, but they are funny.

They're super critical but they're sadly true. There are plenty of games I loved that he tore apart, but the flaws he points are really true.

Maybe you just don't like him for his hatred of the JRPG or the J-Whatever.

He nitpicks and blows things out of proportion while hardly (or never) touching on the good things.
They aren't reviews, they're just funny videos of him picking apart a game.

So yeah, funny, but pretty much not something you're going to want to rely on as an actual REVIEW, since it isn't one. Every game has something to bitch about, and Yahtzee thrives on that fact.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Since Metacritic was totally ruined and made a lot less functional in their ludicrous bells, whistles and fail site redesign, Gamerankings.com is the best review aggregator.That being said never rely on scores...read at least 3 reviews and then make up your own mind with some user reviews from Gamefaqs.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He nitpicks and blows things out of proportion while hardly (or never) touching on the good things.
They aren't reviews, they're just funny videos of him picking apart a game.

So yeah, funny, but pretty much not something you're going to want to rely on as an actual REVIEW, since it isn't one. Every game has something to bitch about, and Yahtzee thrives on that fact.

Which I find is a good quality. I guess it's bad to focus on nothing but the bad but if we ignore it completely we're destined to be braindead.

And I never trusted user reviews honestly, and yes, this is coming from a user reviewer. Difference is that I trust my own opinion. I find that a good user review is hard to come by. They're either just complete odes of love from fanboys or complete piles of hatred from destined haters. It's hard to find someone whose level headed nowadays.

And if you're wondering why I write reviews then even though I don't trust them from someone whose equally qualified it's because I enjoy people either sending me love letters on how good they are or making people angry enough to be able to laugh at them parading around in a pissy mood.

T.Kuranari

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I think if you want reviews as objective as possible you have to buy or read independent print magazines. Online review sites are often biased and looking for more visitors even if this means writing a controversial review. At least that's my personal experience.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
On the topic, if you want good game reviews, go to Yahtzee Croshaw. Brutally honest and sure to give you a good laugh unless you're an uptight prick who cries about what they think is a perfect game getting torn apart.
As much as I love his movies, I certainly wouldn't call it a game review. The others are right: he just emphatises on the bad sides of the game (he even says it himself: "people don't like it when I am nice to a game").

You can probably use it as a review, provided that you watch it with a "am I bothered with all that he's mentioning?".

(I actually liked Kirby: epic yarn MORE after watching his review. In fact, when I bought the game, I could barely suppress that mental image of me, being able to affort it while some little poor kid couldn't afford it. :evil: )

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read reviews, but take every review with a grain of salt.
There are far too many different types of people for one person's (or even a few people's) opinions to accurately define what everybody will think.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Meh... I never care about reviews of games, I just need to see pics and check on wikipedia what the game is about. xP
Some of my fave games had incredibly low scores in most rating sites, yet I still love them and at the same time, theres plenty of games I can't play, just looking at them makes me wanna fall asleep and still they get scores like 8.5's and 9's out of 10... I do check reviews tho but thats to see the overall rating of the game, but meh... Everyone is different, it's pretty much impossible for any rating of a game to be 100% fair and make everyone happy with it's score. For example, CoD games, they get high scores most of the time, but I find them boring and unapealing and cuz of games like that I thought I'd never like games that looked like shooters, however I wound up loving APB, Mass Effect (it's an rpg sure but has shooter elements), Gears of War, among others.. Just check a video of a game and if you like the vid, try the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Bakerman vs. Wario