Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe anything Nintendo tells me ever since my Ultra64 didn't really have a $250,000 SGI workstation in it.

Back to the point, if you start up a DS with a passcard and G6 in it you can remove the passcard at the G6 menu without locking up the system because it's programed not to lock up. This could just as easily be done to swap carts in a two cart game, but I don't think they will do it. It would be cheaper to put a given amount of rom in one cart than to put the same amount of rom in two carts, especially if you plan on selling a few million copies of the game.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe anything Nintendo tells me ever since my Ultra64 didn't really have a $250,000 SGI workstation in it.

Back to the point, if you start up a DS with a passcard and G6 in it you can remove the passcard at the G6 menu without locking up the system because it's programed not to lock up. This could just as easily be done to swap carts in a two cart game, but I don't think they will do it. It would be cheaper to put a given amount of rom in one cart than to put the same amount of rom in two carts, especially if you plan on selling a few million copies of the game.

crazy talk.

the menu is already loaded into memory...
but with games, the ds is constanly communating with the cart.
anyways, the g6 _wasen't_ programed to let that happen.

How about a save point before swapping ??? ever heard of that ?
save where?
It's gona be QPC all over again....

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
crazy talk.

the menu is already loaded into memory...
but with games, the ds is constanly communating with the cart.
anyways, the g6 _wasen't_ programed to let that happen.
You don't think "Insert cart 2 - press start to continue" would fit in memory? Just how much constant communication would it take?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are only 4 ways I can think of that they could use to transfer a save:

1) Leave the system on and switch carts.
2) Store the save in a slot 2 cart, bringing the total number of carts to 3 per copy of the game.
3) Upload the save from the first cart to a website, then download it to the second cart.
4) A 30 page long password.

The first option is the only one that seems reasonable to me, although I still don't think there will really be games that span multiple carts.

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
Has it been answered yet as to whether or not the DS can handle larger carts? The simple solution to this would be having a cart that could hold 256, 512 or possibly even 1 GB.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Of course the DS can handle larger carts. The DS-X is 4096 megabits, and the microSD based slot 1 carts can potentially utilize 8 times that much memory.

I think the 1024 megabit spec was just the maximum size available to developers at the time, not some sort of hardware limitation.

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
why not do a Golden Sun, use two DS's to transfer the data
I no this option isnt viable for every1 with only 1 DS, but it is an option
This isn't an option. If a game is made for the DS, it must be playable using what was included in the box upon purchasing a DS.

@destructobot - i know it would cost more to make carts with more memory, but i would imagine that the profits would be greater than the cost if SE remade FF7 (or 8 or 9). Say they charge $39.99 for a cart that has 1 GB of storage space...if they sell 2 million copies, that's ~$80 million. Now, we all know a remake of FF7 for the DS would sell way more than 2 million copies. We also know that it would cost no more than $10 million to make this game considering SE has all of the assets (character designs, story, fmv's, etc...).

Now, i have no clue if $10 would cover the added amount of storage the carts would need, but knowing that SE could easily sell millions of copies, I'm more than positive that SE could great profit from the remake...

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They charge $39.99 for 128 megabyte games. I would expect a 1024 megabyte game to cost at least twice as much, probably more. Once you go beyond a certain capacity it costs more than twice as much money for twice as much memory, and there is only so much room for cheap low capacity rom chips in a DS cart. A 256 megabyte game for $45-$50 is probably more reasonable right now.

As far as linking two systems like in Golden Sun, they would need a backup plan for people that couldn't do that. Golden sun used really long passwords, and I'd expect DQIX passwords would be even longer.

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
They charge $39.99 for 128 megabyte games. I would expect a 1024 megabyte game to cost at least twice as much, probably more. Once you go beyond a certain capacity it costs more than twice as much money for twice as much memory, and there is only so much room for cheap low capacity rom chips in a DS cart. A 256 megabyte game for $45-$50 is probably more reasonable right now.

As far as linking two systems like in Golden Sun, they would need a backup plan for people that couldn't do that. Golden sun used really long passwords, and I'd expect DQIX passwords would be even longer.
You're right about the memory vs. money, but doesn't most of the cost of a game go towards development costs? Say SE sold a FF7 remake for $50 on a 1 GB (1024 MB) cart, at 2 million sales they should definitely be able to turn a profit...

*Edit: i know you said that twice the memory means twice the cost, but since the carts will be produced in a rather large quantity...

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
(RANT)
hey, i like how everyone is saying "like they did in golden sun" remember in golden sun you could also use 2 GBAs and a linkcable. HOLY SHIZZ! 2 DS's and WIRELESS! That could certainly work!

I'd also like to address how people are talking about the DS being able to use up to 8 times the memory via flashcarts. Lets think back... since when does a flashcart have 100% compatiblity? Since when does the real deal with 8 times less memory have 100% compat. And on top of that the dude emailed nintendo. I (personally) see no reason to continue this thread.
(/RANT)

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
My question was simply asking if there is anything in the NDS's OS/firmware limiting the size of the game carts. If not, then we should be able to see 256, 512, and possibly even 1 GB carts.

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
(RANT)
hey, i like how everyone is saying "like they did in golden sun" remember in golden sun you could also use 2 GBAs and a linkcable. HOLY SHIZZ! 2 DS's and WIRELESS! That could certainly work!
(/RANT)

I think you'll find i said that a few posts above

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
why not do a Golden Sun, use two DS's to transfer the data
I no this option isnt viable for every1 with only 1 DS, but it is an option

This isn't an option. If a game is made for the DS, it must be playable using what was included in the box upon purchasing a DS.

Explain?
Im on about having card 1 in one DS, card 2 in another DS, and transfering the data
Dont see why that cant be done...

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FFQ_g8OoQM&list=RD8FFQ_g8OoQM&start_radio=1