Hacking Another SSBB PAL Thread: DRE's

bikkou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I know there are some on the forum, I searched for all of them and none has the answer while some do seem to talk about the problem I'm having. I registered just now to post the thread because I could fine no help, so I'll appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
I'll try to be specific about this one, I have absolutely no idea what to do and I'm already getting really desperate by now.

PAL Wii with the latest update as of yet with Wiikey, version 1.9s or something like that, the latest on their site.
Disc used was DL DVD Verbatim +R, twice - one burned with Disc Utility and one with IMGburn using the manual layer break with the code.
ISO used was the earliest one released, on the day before the PAL version of Brawl was actually released. I think most of you used that.

When I use the disc burned in Disc Utility (Mac), channel screen loads, I click start, security message and then white screen. I saw this was common in other threads too, but I'm not sure I followed a solution. The Wii is always stuck after this, meaning I can't eject the disc or reset/turn it off, I have to unplug it from the cable.
I have no idea where to go to from here.

With the other disc, burned with IMGburn with layer break, the game works mostly okay. The first cutscene when you start up the disc is very laggy and if I don't skip the cutscene, when it reaches Mario the Wii will display that it can't read the disc.
SSE is the same. Cutscenes are very laggy and will usually bring the Wii to display DRE. Sometimes if I skip them I can get through, sometimes I can't, and it DRE's even if I skip. At some point I couldn't get through the cutscene no matter what I did, around the part where Captain Falcon and Olimar meet.
The rest of the game is seemingly fine, though at all times while running it the sounds from the Wii will be horrible. Very loud and very frightening, like the Wii is breaking or something.

Last thing worth noting is that I didn't see any indication of an update when inserting either discs. I inserted them both before and after I updated to the latest Wii version, and it never displayed an update.
I suspect that's the cause for the problems with the IMGburn disc? I don't know how to activate the update.

bikkou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:
It's not an update...you just got a bad burn, nothing else. Try without layerbreak.
Hm.. that was quick.
Are you sure? I saw plenty of people in the other threads who said they tried without, and it still didn't work. I only have one DL DVD left and I don't really want to take wild chances.

If it's a common problem that's solved without layer break all the time, then I'll go for it.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
bikkou said:
skawo96 said:
It's not an update...you just got a bad burn, nothing else. Try without layerbreak.
Hm.. that was quick.
Are you sure? I saw plenty of people in the other threads who said they tried without, and it still didn't work. I only have one DL DVD left and I don't really want to take wild chances.

If it's a common problem that's solved without layer break all the time, then I'll go for it.
I'll tell you my story, okay?
So firstly I bought PHILIPS DL. I burned with layerbreak. Disc CANNOT be read.
So then "Ahh, bad disc" so I bought Verbatim DVD+R and burned with layerbreak. Disc reads, white screen.
So another Verbatim this time +R, layerbreak Again white screen
So I bough ANOTHER Verbatim, burned it without layerbreak and WAH? It works!
d8ac144362af70f4_IMAGE.jpg

- My reaction (almost)

Of course I don't guarantee it will work, but
rolleyes.gif
if not like this, so how? It could be (however I doubt it) your wii laser is dirty, or your burner is dead/shitty

bikkou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:
bikkou said:
skawo96 said:
Hm.. that was quick.

I'll tell you my story, okay?
So firstly I bought PHILIPS DL. I burned with layerbreak. Disc CANNOT be read.
So then "Ahh, bad disc" so I bought Verbatim DVD+R and burned with layerbreak. Disc reads, white screen.
So another Verbatim this time +R, layerbreak Again white screen
So I bough ANOTHER Verbatim, burned it without layerbreak and WAH? It works!
http://brawl.kakkoister.com/Images/d8ac144...f70f4_IMAGE.jpg
- My reaction (almost)
Did your Wii state and everything match mine? You got a white screen while my IMGburn disc has problems with SSE.
I guess I'll try it, thanks. I'll wait a little more to see if other people have an idea.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
I got white screen after creating save file screen.

edit: burning yet? Also, good speed is or 2.4x or 4x.

bikkou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
skawo96 said:

Burned it, 2.4x, white screen.

I don't know what the hell is wrong. This is depressing.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
bikkou said:
skawo96 said:

Burned it, 2.4x, white screen.

I don't know what the hell is wrong. This is depressing.
Woah! Then, it means that your burner fails at burning DLs or your laser is not quite good in reading DLs.

bikkou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You sure it doesn't have to do with the fact I still don't see any update from any of the discs?

My burner should be fine too, I burned OS X with it on DL and it turned out more than fine. The Wii is like a month old.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
bikkou said:
You sure it doesn't have to do with the fact I still don't see any update from any of the discs?

My burner should be fine too, I burned OS X with it on DL and it turned out more than fine. The Wii is like a month old.
Yes, update do not have anything with it: If you have updated from Mario Kart in won't come. I don't had update too.

bikkou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bah, I don't know.

No one else has any idea what's going on?

EDIT:
Also, while I'm at it, I tried to burn Pikmin like 3 times now and the Wii never reads it. I downloaded it first as a .gcm file, was told to change it to .iso through renaming then burn it with IMGburn. Did that twice, both times didn't work. I tried burning it with .gcm ending and it doesn't work either. All other GC games I downloaded as ISO's work fine.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
You have dead burner mister man! You could try with nero, but I think it's not needed.
Soooooooooo, you know what you have to do...right?

To be sure: Put the working disc into the burner. Open IMGburn and click "read". It will create a image from disk. Now. Burn the same image on disc and if it's not working - your burner is 99% dead.

bikkou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But... other games I burned work fine..

Dammit, I don't like this.
I'm not sure why I need to read the image from the working disc again since I used the same one for all 3.. is it that important to waste another disc on?
I still need to buy a new pack too.

The shop I bought the Wii from actually has warranty for it, including the chip, and I was going to bring the Wii for them to see anyway since it was scratching some discs. This whole thing might take a while.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This will sound insane, but a friends dvd did exactly the same, whitescreen on BOTH his and my Wii.
I burned this disc for him and used same layerbreak etc. He try my old disc, works fine on his Wii.

Here comes the insane part, I scratched his dvd abit and WOULA it works, i was like "WTF?"
We haven't tested it in his Wii yet, that is still to come.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
bikkou said:

I'm not sure why I need to read the image from the working disc again since I used the same one for all 3.. is it that important to waste another disc on?

The shop I bought the Wii from actually has warranty for it, including the chip, and I was going to bring the Wii for them to see anyway since it was scratching some discs. This whole thing might take a while.
I's maybe not that important: I wanted to see if your other image is not bad or something...so I wanted to see if working image will work again. About scratching the disc
laugh.gif
really?
cool.gif

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
skawo96 said:
bikkou said:

I's maybe not that important: I wanted to see if your other image is not bad or something...so I wanted to see if working image will work again. About scratching the disc
laugh.gif
really?
cool.gif

Yes really... its insane, I just hade to try it again to make sure, works fine. All I just did was to take on my t-shirt, spin it around a new times so it gets like small small scartches and it booted up fine.. I was like "WTF?!"... my friend hade the same reaction when I told him.

We tried it like two times in my wii yesterday before I scratched it, just white screen.

So if you have a DVD to spare and you feel like you must still reburn it, try to scratch it a little bit. Might save you a DVD or two.

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
skawo96 said:
It was single pure luck.

Or its the way the Wii likes Dual-Layers
wink.gif

Anyways, I message here later to report if we have luck with my friends Wii (D2C, D2Pro) and see if it works for him.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/BiY0vNuu1eg?si=0nwmSHWeLkfcJJ__