DownwardSpyral

The Fastest Thing Alive
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup. Another thread by a n00b that wants a flash set and doesn't know what to get. I've been reading these forums and doing some research. Before I start, I have a few things I would like to outline.

- GBA Support would be nice, but I'm not getting the set to play GBA games.
- On that note, I'm looking for a kit that'll play DS games, run multimedia apps and is ESPECIALLY homebrew compatible. Ever since conception, I've wanted to play Genesis roms on my little handheld. DSDoom looks pretty sweet as well.
- I do not want to Flash my DS Lite. I'm happy using a Passcard 3 as long as it does what it needs to.
- Since I have a DS Lite, I want a DS Lite flash cart. This limits my choices.

1. The G6 Lite has caught my eye, but the corruption problem and lack of homebrew compatibility has me worried. You guys would know, given the experience in the DS brew scene, what are the chances of most popular homebrew apps being 'made compatible' for the G6? I've heard, to name a few, DSDoom and PicodriveDS do not work on the cart. Is this correct?

2. I plan upon using my DS as a mini-mp3 player and media station. I know there are media players available for the DS Lite, but do they work with the unit closed?

3. The SuperCard Lite also seems like a popular choice. I do not have a microSD laying around, but newegg sells them for cheap. I also do not have a card reader, but again, newegg is useful for that. I've read the reviews of the SC Lite, and it appears to be just as good as the G6, but stronger in other areas. Forumgoers might question my sexual orientation for this, but I like my GUI to be pretty. The SC GUI is ugly as hell. Is there an OS (think Pogoshell for the GBA carts) that is available to use instead?

4. I enjoy Wifi. It's a good time. Can Backups connect to Wifi?

Those are all the questions I have for now. I'm sure I'll think of more. In any case, I greatly appreciate any info you guys can give me.

Heinrisch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a EZ4 lite and
2. it plays media with the lid closed, and,
4. it plays wifi without a problem.

I would recommend to get a "microSD card flashcart." If you are going to use your nds as a media station, 512 MB of space won't be enough.

I don't know if anyone has cheap microSD cards?

DownwardSpyral

The Fastest Thing Alive
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well. Newegg has a 1gb one for 40 bux. I'm prolly gonna stick with SanDisk because they make really good memory hardware.

Doesn't the EZ4 Lite not fit very well into the slot?

Also, Do you use a Nopass or Passcard?

Oh, and another minor question. I have my DS set to boot to the NDS OS whether a game is inserted or not. With a Passcard, does it still go to the NDS OS, or boot straight to whatever is on the GBA slot?

Heinrisch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The EZ4 lite fits perfectly, however it does stick out 0.8 mm, and some people think that is annoying.
Here are some pics: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=34392 and a good review.

Yes, I use a nopass device, a EZPass 3, and it boots to the NDS menu and then you can select the EZPass 3 (shows up as a nds game).

I paid $100 for my pack with:
EZ4 lite
EZPass 3
Kingston 512 MB microSD card

so $40 is not that cheap
wink.gif

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can find most of these answers scouring around a bit.

The G6 corruption problem isn't as big of a problem as you might be led to believe. 9/10 cases are user error.

Hypnotoad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The G6 corruption problem isn't as big of a problem as you might be led to believe. 9/10 cases are user error.

Agreed, as posted in another thread:

I have yet to have any type of problem with my G6Lite.Â

- no corruption problems
- no firmware updater problems, and I've updated 3 times.
- no U-disk program problems (with older or newer versions)
- no games freeze-ups (no matter what firmware I've used)
- no lost saves
- no shell problems (too tight of fit into the DS)
- no problems with cart being too tight when placed onto usb reader
- etc, etc, etc.

Maybe it's because I don't try to trim my roms. Maybe it's because I don't use soft reset. Maybe I just have a magical G6 card!

All I know is that I come to these forums every night, and shake my head at all the problems people have been posting. My G6Lite is working wonderfully, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

*Cheers* G6 teamÂ
grog.gif

As for homebrew, I can't help you there (I run all my homebrew off my psp).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Redleviboy123 @ Redleviboy123: Question about game texture chanching Do i need an own game id?