Another eBay lemon? Video problems?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by britain4, Jun 16, 2017.

1. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    Yeah that's very true, I overpaid a little bit for mine even if it was working but I have seen them sell for a lot more too. A couple of years ago they were fetching big money.

Lots of them are worn out due to being in working environments and then being carelessly stored that's for sure.

2. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    I'm no expert but if it was working before you opened then you touched something that triggered it. I've got a PS3 60GB and still works fine, I did purchase it from a guy who somewhat modified it to work without problems let me check what's that called... Well, here's what he said on the email back in 2013.

Anyway, hope you get it back to functional state again because it would be a shame to let that go to waste.

3. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Sorry, but that's bullcrap. The thermal paste does not do any difference. Yes, heat has to do with it, but if you've got one which will develop a fault, it'll break even with the world's best thermal paste.

You just won the solder lottery. Not all units will break down, simple as that.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  4. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    Be sure that seller is 100 percent feedback. I have been a buyer and a seller and I am on 100% feedback. Never have a problem since I am eBay user in 1999. :)

5. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    I highly doubt it was me that caused it, it froze up a couple of times before I opened it but I stupidly thought nothing of it. After that the freezing just got worse. Opening it might have just taken a tiny bit of pressure of one of the clamps that was stopping it from conking out entirely.

And unfortunately I concur with raulpica on the thermal paste thing. Increasing fan speeds and changing the thermal paste is the best we can do but it won't prevent it entirely. Do you know if they did under the IHS?

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  6. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    You're lucky. There's a lot of genuine sellers that have been conned by buyers who want free shit.

I've thankfully not been in such a situation but then again I always sent it tracked and take photos of every tidbit detail so buyers can't make up excuses.

azoreseuropa likes this.
  7. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    Yeah, they 're on 99.8% or something with 1 neg for item never arrived so I thought I was safe :/ I've been on there since 2004, had 1 neg when you could still get one as a buyer, seller negged me for no payment after a sale but she had ignored all my messages asking how much I needed to pay her for postage...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yep which also results in honest buyers who receive faulty items being treated like shit by sellers who assume they are scammers...

8. elBenyo

elBenyo Wad of meat.

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    Can it still boot the recovery menu?

9. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Report to Ebay then. Sorry that you had bad experienced.

I forgot one that I had one bad experienced shipping Super Famicom Console in box with Super Mario brother 4: Super Mario World. MINT. A French guy sent 200 dollars to me before I received it and I shipped it to him first. My big mistaken. I learned my lesson and Post Office returned money order back to him because it required a signature and I was away on the vacation. Conflicted and confused. Oh well. My fault, actually. So I told a French man to return money order back to me but never so I put negative to him for a thief and dishonesty.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I edit for one thing above if you can read it. Anyway.. It is not easy. I bought nes classic mini with fearful and hopeful nothing conned me at all. I received it safe and sound. Big relief. I know. Crazy people out there.

10. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    Nope :(

Ah it was years ago, I've got my 100% feedback back now but I should have reported it at the time.

Ouch, that's got to have hurt at the time. I sold the exact same thing actually and it went OK except I didn't get as much as I'd have hoped for it :/

I have actually got this PS3 to boot after bending the GPU clamp slightly so I'm pretty certain it needs reballing.

Actually after bending the clamps and putting the console together it's been running fine for a good half hour now including playing a game.. removing the lid must have taken some pressure off the clamp stopping it from working... I'm certain it's running on borrowed time though if that's the case so off for a reball it goes

Last edited by britain4, Jun 16, 2017
    raulpica likes this.
  11. azoreseuropa

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Oh that's good. I got few negatives years ago and got my 100% feedback back and I should have reported about French man at the time too. So everything is good now.

12. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    Yeah. Sucks really, I could never do that to someone but I'm too trusting which shows in the number of times I've been screwed over lol.

Having said that - I bent the GPU clamp slightly and put it all back together and the console has been working fine since. Even played a game or 2 on it. So although a YLOD/GLOD is imminent it might not have been showing when the seller sold it me?

azoreseuropa likes this.
  13. smf

smf GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 23, 2009
    I spent some time trying to get dvd/bluray movies playing on a DECHA00 (I think it's impossible, but some people claim you can do it). It has been bricked a number of times, but I have been able to recover it using recovery or FSM. I got mine cheap, but it is still very stressful when it happens.

Other than not being able to play dvd/bluray movies, you can disable HDCP and play masterdiscs. A retail console with REBUG converted to DEX will give you everything else it can do.

14. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    Yeah they're somewhat hard to find, I wouldn't like to brick one even if I hadn't paid a lot for it!

I'm not too worried about DVDs/Blu Rays as I have my PS4 for that, or my Slim PS3, it definitely wouldn't be my go to for that. Having said that, if there was a way to do it I would be interested just for the sake of it :D

The bloody thing has been working fine after bending the clamps slightly but something tells me that won't work for long so a reball is still on the cards

15. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    What you mean the pressure clamps? That holds the cooler/heatsink in place? Don't do that, that does more harm, stressing your motherboard even more, so greater chance of solder fail

16. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    Yes those. I only put a very slight bit of pressure on the clamp before refitting it and I certainly haven't done the "coin trick" or anything of the sort

Very slightly tweaking the clamps before refitting was the advice someone gave me to do as part of my regular PS3 re-paste process to get better contact between the heatsink and IHS, should I not do that??

17. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Avoid putting unnecessary stress on the motherboard. The solder is lead free so it cracks easily, thus we have YLOD and all other lods :-P
    Use high grade thermal paste, clean the fan, maybe do some case.mods for more cooling, or change the fan, there was some after market coolong solution that was far better than the Sony's

18. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    It's not a great deal of pressure though, just to take up the tension they've lost over the years. I'd imagine you'd be risking it with the "penny trick" but just bending the clamps slightly doesn't make a lot of difference.

Also its got to be a lot harder to crack a solder ball by compressing it than cracking through heat or prying upwards on it (like when people mess up removing the IHS)

I keep my temps around 60 just by replacing paste (including under the IHS) and increasing fan speeds which I'm pretty pleased with :)

19. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    I'm not a fan of replacin the paste under the IHS
    They did a crappy job on that part...
    Fun fact, my ps3 cechk model, when I first wanted to replace the thermal paste, bot IHS plates just came off with the heatsink...

20. britain4
    OP

britain4 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Sheffield
    Haha did you buy it used? I've had used PS3s with that happen to me before. That said, if anyone takes apart any of my PS3s the same will happen to them :D

The paste I've done under the IHS on the older PS3s I've done has been in definite need of replacement. There is also no harm in not having the IHSs glued down. Makes it easier to replace the paste again when it needs doing