Hardware Another dead PS3...

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Swelled by the success of 'fixing' a PS3 that didn't really have a problem I bought one for my brother that had the same problem. Basically the HDD corrupted and needed reformatting or replacing, then put the update file back on. The issue I have is that there is a disc stuck in the drive and it will not eject or force eject, so when I try to update the firmware it tries to read the Blu Ray drive and not my USB stick (the USB flashes until it tries to update, then it starts whirring the disc like mad instead).

Any clues? Other than dismantling it I am stuck

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Which model is it? I've seen a few ways of getting a PS3 to hit the disc out of the console and there are actually a few videos regarding it too:

Also this could possibly help you (extreme, but the point is still valid).

It is also possible to pop open the whole console, but that is a lot more risky due to the possibility of error in pretty much everything that you touch (PCB, Wiring, bumping the laser to the wrong position when dismantling, etc).

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[...]but that is a lot more risky due to the possibility of error in pretty much everything that you touch (PCB, Wiring, bumping the laser to the wrong position when dismantling, etc).

I've never run into any issues with those, even after dropping screwdrivers tip-down onto the motherboards, not that that is ever a good idea. As long as you're careful and follow a good teardown like one on ifixit, it's pretty much as straightforward as can be. Just don't be rubbing your hands all over the laser lens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLdXfFsgvkE