Android Android email client that 'supports' catchall accounts

Pleng

Custom Title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
For those who don't know what a catch-all account is, it's an email account that accepts mail from [anyaddress]@givendomain.com if there isn't an existing mailbox specifically for that address.

Obviously, as it's just a standard mailbox, all mail clients 'support' such accounts. But what I'm looking for is one with intelligent support...

Example scenario:

I have an email account with the address [email protected], which is set up as a catch-all account, so all email for [anyaddress]@givendomain.com will be delivered to [email protected].

So, somebody sends an email to [email protected] and it is delivered to the mailbox [email protected]. My current Android client checks [email protected] mailbox, sees the mail and delivers it. All is fine so far.

However, if I wish to reply to the mail, my current Android mail client(s) will send the address from [email protected]. What I want is for the mail to be sent from the address that it was originally sent to (in this case, [email protected]).

I have Thunderbird set up on my PC, and use the extension "Virtual Identity", which does a very good job of achieving the same thing. But as I am spending less and less time at my desk these days, I'd really like to be able to mimic the behaviour on my Android devices.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the most part I just set up as many such send from accounts as necessary (for most people in need of such a setup it tends not to be more than about 4 accounts and most hosting I have has unlimited storage and accounts I can make) and have things duplicate via something like http://davmail.sourceforge.net/ or a master PC and a script on whatever client if I am not setting up big boy programs.

I take it a simple replyto is not an option and it then wants to be... technically it is spoofing the from field but as you own the domain and server and the address should receive things (and thus not flag the more active spam filters) it is not what most would consider spoofing.

Afraid I have not been very helpful here, I am mainly replying as I might also like to see this work and want to say thinks for the extension. I could find it useful in the future.

Pleng

Custom Title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Yea I don't really want to be setting up a new account for every email address, as I use a different one for every site I sign up to, in case one gets compromised by a spammer.

There are open source mail clients out there and I've had a look at adding the feature into one of those, but it's time consuming so I'd rather find a pre built (and tested) solution if possible

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nobody is reading what you post.