Tutorial  Updated

AndroidPass, an alternative for the StreetPass Riilay

Hello,

Its been a while since i wrote i was doing an app for me to use the streetpass on my 3ds.
I used the Riilay app, and didn't worked for me, and seems the dev has halted the development of his app.

I present you a new app, with basic gui, but works for me.

Working methods (tested by me):
/data/.nvmac.info
/efs/wifi/.mac.info
/data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf

Working methods (tested by users):
/data/misc/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini
/persist/WCNSS_qcom_wlan_factory_nv.bin

To be tested methods:
/data/misc/wifi/config
/system/etc/wifi/nvram.txt
/data/etc/wlan_macaddr0
/factory/wifi/.mac.info
/data/etc/wlan_macaddr

(BusyBox methods dont work or are kernel dependant)
BusyBox: ifconfig
BusyBox: ip link
BusyBox: Old tether softAP method (added, but not sure if it would work, maybe i will remove it later if no one uses it or not working)

Want to add more methods?
Send me a pm with a sample file for the file to be edited, and ill work to implement it asap.
Don't be afraid to send any "original macs" or try to edit out the macs with A,B,C,D,E or F.

I would want to add more methods and a BusyBox method, but i dont have more Androids with me and my pc is old and cant run the emulator.

The app needs root, and is stright forward.

The app works with the SD card mainly:
/"sd"/macs/...
macs.txt : a list of macs to be readed. (Yes, is needed to run the program and can be customized)
config.properties : The config from the app, i hate when phone data is used to store config.
On this file you can edit the "original_mac" and when the app is closing it will restore the mac you provided, useful with a whitelisted network. Ex: 00:11:22:33:44:55
on the /"sd"/
AndroidPass-Log.txt : Do not exists always, but it contains crash log(s) for the app.

The program features an auto updater.
And no need to wait X minutes to change MACs, just dont wait to timeout and when the 3DS disconnects (or no more clients are connected), it will change the mac right away.

If your AndroidPass has stopped working for some reason, post the crash log file.

Im thinking to release the source somewhere on the net, and then anyone who wants to implement some features could, in theory, work with me and make it more "compatible". If there is some devs that want to be involved in this, contact me and if i get some, ill publishit somewhere.

Donations are much apreciated.

Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hvrqikrqp3cs4ck/StreetPass.apk

If for some reason the link above is not the current version, use the workspace version https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0sy8e7i1s5u1mh/StreetPass.apk (this file is used for testing, keep in mind that this version is the work in progress one, and may contain not working things or major crashes)

Later on i will feature a stable or debug release, the current link will be the debug release.

-Ismaw34

WARNING
* Some kernels need special "magic" features (specially the 4.3+) that i dont know how to work with.
* If you need to patch any "binary" file, i can edit the mac too, refer to the methods /data/misc/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini and /persist/WCNSS_qcom_wlan_factory_nv.bin
* If you are using the /data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf method, and you change the HotSpot name on your phone but it doen't change, is a usual bug, that is that on the current state i cant read root files inside the java code and i need to manage them via shell. Just delete the /data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf.bak file, edit your config and then it would be ready to go.

Last edited by Ismaw34,

czerwinski76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
May I ask either of you the exact process in which you set this up? I have this set up on my rooted phone, I have the connection 'open' and the SSID set to NZ@McD1 and my N3DSXL detects a nintendo zone, and my phone also has the 3ds appear as a 'connected device'. This happens when I have NO connections saved on my 3DS, and also when I have the phones hot spot saved as a connection, but in both cases I don't get any streetpasses.

^ I can't even get it to detect as a nintendo zone... I can't get anything to spoof my MAC on LP :glare: I guess I'm screwed until this guy updates

If it doesn't work for you , use the sharing network connection fonction, enable your wifi and write manually the MAC adress you want to be connected to with this android app :

MAC Spoofer (changer) (Daniel Machado de Faria)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jworksbr.macspoofer

Change Mac address to one of the list found here:

Remote StreetPass Relay MAC's
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AvvH5W4E2lIwdEFCUkxrM085ZGp0UkZlenp6SkJablE&toomany=true

Hope it will work for you !

NB : I don't like Lollipop so I rolled back to Kitkat 4.4.4, don't know if it's compatible ...

Reactions: Psionatix

Psionatix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If it doesn't work for you , use the sharing network connection fonction, enable your wifi and write manually the MAC adress you want to be connected to with this android app :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AvvH5W4E2lIwdEFCUkxrM085ZGp0UkZlenp6SkJablE&toomany=true

NB : I don't like Lillipop so I rolled back to Kitkat 4.4.4, don't know if it's compatible ...

Thanks for the reply and suggestions!

I do wish to try what you have suggested but I am a little confused as to how.

Sharing Network Connection function? I assume this is found somewhere else, as it isn't an option in AndroidPass.

When I use Mac Spoofer with the wifi enabled, I click 'Spoof my Mac'. The apps output shows 'Original Mac' and 'Current Mac' - which are both the same - then after this it says my mac has been changed to the one I had set. Not sure why, but my wifi then disables itself and re-enables itself, and the mac returns to it's original.

So far, I did manage to get HomePass working just once using the Wi-Fi tether app. Unfortunately I tried so many different methods using it, I didn't even notice the green light to indicate any streetpasses, and now I don't know when it worked, or what I did to get it working. I can't seem to get it to work again. My experience can be found in the 'latest update' part of my thread.

UPDATE: Nevermind, I seem to have just got this working using mac spoofer and phones hotspot settings! Can't get it working with a second mac though.

Just to confirm, I enabled my phone as a hotspot, I changed the MAC using MAC Spoofer. The hotspot disabled itself and re-enabled itself and my 3DS got 6 streetpasses almost instantly. A few minutes later, I change the MAC again, the hotspot turns off and on, Nintendo Zone is detected again, but no further streetpasses.

I managed to get HomePass working for a THIRD time using JUST the Mac Spoofer (changer) app.

I calculated the time. The third homepass success was 8 hours after my previous one. I can only conclude that it is only letting me homepass one mac every 8 hours. Either that, or my phone is still stuck on the very first MAC that I spoofed, despite changing it multiple times with apps and also restarting the phone a few times.

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

NB : I don't like Lillipop so I rolled back to Kitkat 4.4.4, don't know if it's compatible ...
When I said I can't get anything to spoof my MAC, I meant anything. I've tried it manually, I've tried multiple apps, including both of the ones you suggested. I've done a little research and apparently some root level functions are a little wonky in LP... the one thing I haven't tried is patching to disable PIE security check, which apparently had some success in restoring some root functions. Other than that it looks like I'm on the waiting list when it comes to Android :rolleyes: Unless I wanna downgrade but naaaaah hahaa

I'm already looking into other options, so it's nothing more than a little unfortunate. I'll survive :lol:

czerwinski76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't now why but sometime (many times), when I use the AndroidPass app, my sharing network keeps stoping and restarting again and again until I reboot my mobile phone (Hard reboot).
So I couldn't homepass someone ...

Does anyone have the same problem here ?

jczoe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I use nexus 5. The app can not start the wifiAP. The workaround I found is, open androidpass, start wifiAP, then click start on androidpass. When that Mac is done, press stop, start wifiAP, them click start.

20mark

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I use nexus 5. The app can not start the wifiAP. The workaround I found is, open androidpass, start wifiAP, then click start on androidpass. When that Mac is done, press stop, start wifiAP, them click start.

hello, do you managed to work with nexus 5? which android version?

AlBa

Trophies
XP
Country
It would be nice to have a compatibility list (device - android version - androidapp version (-method))

half-turok

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, I try this app, but my device (Samsung Galaxy Ace) crash after touch start, my android device have ROM stock with root, what can I do?
Sorry form my english.

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I try this app, but my device (Samsung Galaxy Ace) crash after touch start, my android device have ROM stock with root, what can I do?
Sorry form my english.

Hello, if you manage to start the app and select start, its probable that you have a app log inside your SD on the root or in the "macs" folder. Can you upload it somewhere? Ill give it a read, and try to figure out why is crashing.

// Same post but in spanish

Hola, si has podido ejecutar la aplicacion y seleccionar start, es posible que tengas un log de la aplicacion en tu tarjeta SD en la raiz o dentro de la carpeta "macs". Puedes subirlo en algun sitio? Le echare un ojo y mirare de buscarte el porque peta.

-Ismaw34

JODIsBack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing. I have the app downloaded on my Samsung Galaxy S5, I have Wi-Fi tether and I have rooted phone, but there's no step-by-step instructions or elaborations on the methods.

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't understand what I'm supposed to be doing. I have the app downloaded on my Samsung Galaxy S5, I have Wi-Fi tether and I have rooted phone, but there's no step-by-step instructions or elaborations on the methods.

Just set the hostpot name to "attwifi", the app will select the apropiate method or show you with the busybox (not working) method.
But i think the S5 has a kernel protection with the mac spoof, i dont have a clue how to fix, sorry.
Try out the app, is better than nothing.

-Ismaw34

half-turok

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, if you manage to start the app and select start, its probable that you have a app log inside your SD on the root or in the "macs" folder. Can you upload it somewhere? Ill give it a read, and try to figure out why is crashing.

// Same post but in spanish

Hola, si has podido ejecutar la aplicacion y seleccionar start, es posible que tengas un log de la aplicacion en tu tarjeta SD en la raiz o dentro de la carpeta "macs". Puedes subirlo en algun sitio? Le echare un ojo y mirare de buscarte el porque peta.

-Ismaw34

I can't found the log, maybe the app don't create it. But today works (I guess), the advice boxes show a " unknow error", after that I touch start, the shared connection begins and the mac cycling show the mac active and devices connected, but my 3ds don't appear in the app after close the console, what can I do? Thank you.

In Spanish:

No encuentro el log, tal vez la aplicación no lo crea. Pero hoy funciona (creo), los avisos muestran un "error desconocido", después de eso presiono iniciar, la conexión compartida inicia y el cambio de mac de muestra la mac activa y los dispositivos conectados, pero mi 3ds no aparece en el aplicación tras cerrar la consola ¿qué puedo hacer? Gracias

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't found the log, maybe the app don't create it. But today works (I guess), the advice boxes show a " unknow error", after that I touch start, the shared connection begins and the mac cycling show the mac active and devices connected, but my 3ds don't appear in the app after close the console, what can I do? Thank you.

In Spanish:

No encuentro el log, tal vez la aplicación no lo crea. Pero hoy funciona (creo), los avisos muestran un "error desconocido", después de eso presiono iniciar, la conexión compartida inicia y el cambio de mac de muestra la mac activa y los dispositivos conectados, pero mi 3ds no aparece en el aplicación tras cerrar la consola ¿qué puedo hacer? Gracias

Im working on some workaround for the crashlog, some times the app does not create the log, recently my phone died on me and im using my old phone. The app is working as it sould. But if you are impatient, you should try the BETA workaround on the development version, is one version up, but is not usable for a regular user, as it would not upgrade when its ready.
The crash log would try to copy itself on the clipboard, try it out and get back if you want.

// Spanish thing

Estoy trabajando en un arreglo para el log, a veces la app no crea el log correctamente, recientemente mi telefono ha muerto (entre terrible sufrimiento con un ramdump) y estoy usando mi antiguo movil. Incluso habiendo actualizado la aplicacion varias veces sigue funcionando como deberia. Pero si estas impaciente, podrias probar la BETA que tiene este "arreglo" pero no se si funcionaria. La version es una mas, y no se recomienda su uso ya que no se actualizara cuando la publique para el usuario regular.
El log intentara copiarse al portapapeles, pruebalo y vuelve con los resultados si quieres.

-Ismaw34

TheCrimsonDevil

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
aida.moe
XP
Country
United States
Hey - The app crashes when I hit start, and it tries to patch the file /data/misc/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini. Gives me the old "Unfortunately, AndroidPass has stopped." The busybox method doesn't seem to work either (3DS connects, but no streetpasses). It's a verizon LG G3, and the file it's trying to modify DOES exist. It doesn't work on my matching tablet either. Both are running 4.4.2. I don't see a log in the /macs/ folder.

I have my Wifi set to NZ@McD1 and the Zelda 3DS (running Ver. 9.7.0-25U) detects the nintendo zone, but no streetpasses. Help? :c

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ