An EASY(but a bit more risky) way to update Switch Firmware WITHOUT burning any fuses

So I know there is already a very detailed tutorial out there that is quite good and safer than what I am writing, but a number of people seem to be interested in the method I discovered and have tested.
If you are interested in the safer(perhaps) way please look at this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

So the way I figured out basically sets up autoRCM or Brickmii right after the update, before any fuses can be burned. This is why this is potentially risky, if you do not boot into rcm after the update restart before the regular switch os boots the fuses will be burned and you will not be able to downgrade (at least without some other caveats)

DISCLAIMER: I believe this procedure is safe, but I take no responsibility if you somehow do burn fuses, get banned online, or other wise damage or break(brick) your switch console or connected hardware.3

NOTE: AutoRCM and Brickmii have a good chance of causing a small bug that prevents the system from staying powered completely off for more than 30 seconds, there may be a fix for this in the future. Also note that if your console boots to RCM without a payload device or computer sending it, it will appear to be off and can not charge, but will drain battery. I personal find this mildly annoying but most of the time I can keep it asleep in dock or powered on.

Also NOTE: this manner of updates may affect your cart slot firmware and may make the slot not read carts when loading an old fw version.

Things you will need:
  • a rcm jig, or other reliable way to enter rcm (not autorcm or brickmii as they get removed during updates)
  • A SX pro widget or similar product, or a realiable way to load a payload like sx os or hekate

Steps:
  1. Back up everything (boot, raw nand, sd card, you can't be too safe) and keep it someplace safe and labeled
  2. Check the fuse info using hekate, note how many are burned, so you know what you expect to see after the update
  3. Boot up switch in OFW or CFW or even just plain with no mods or loaders
  4. Once booted have your RCM jig inserted and ready to go ( be sure you have confirmed that this actually works)
  5. using either a cartridge or updating via system settings (assuming you are comfortable going online, but I think this is safe) begin updating your system
  6. *MOST IMPORTANT* When the update is almost done or the second you see the complete notification hold the [VOL +] button. And continue holding it till you get to hekate or sx os menu.
  7. When the system reboots it should be in RCM mode, if you have a widget plugged in it should boot to SX OS or Hekate
    IF ON SX OS: navigate to tools and enable auto RCM.
    IF ON HEKATE: navigate to tools and enable brickmii.
  8. Boot into CFW and you will be on the updated fw without having burned fuses
  9. Feel free to use hekate menu to view the fuse info to confirm the fuses are in the same state.

Hope you find this useful.
P.s. I may post a guide on how to downgrade using backup, and a way to protect your cart slot fw as well in the future.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah dunno what went wrong with you =\

I'll try to be as detailed as possible if anyone is also interested:

Disclaimer: I basically followed what was said in the guide in the first page.

1- Placed an exFAT formated Samsung 64gb SD card in my switch and tested my jig like 5 times by continously just booting (going into RCM and sending the payload) into Hekate.

2- While in hekate I checked my fuses (look at my picture) and did a backup of both the raw emmc and the boot partitions to be able to downgrade in the future.

3- Once the backup was done, I booted into OFW (with my jig still in place and the exFAT SD card still inserted but its contents were stored in my PC thus there was nothing in said card), entered my router's info and pressed the "there is an SDX update you must download" prompt and began to download both the SD slot update and the 5.1 update.

4- At around 80% I pressed the Vol+ button and didn't let go until the switch booted into RCM (until the screen was all black. Left it pressed like 30 secs to make sure it did).

5- Launched hekate, checked my fuses and I still had 2 burnt fuses!

6- Installed AutoRCM (my switch sits on its charger all day so I don't care about the battery problem that much).

7- Rebooted into RCM and launched ReiNX and checked the version number (look at my picture).

Everything seems to be working a-ok. Updated BOTW and deleted my internet settings right after.
i got iy baby.
i will use fat 32 i dont have the exfat installed on my console
i tried many times w/o result.this console still on 1.0.0 or maybe i leave like that and update the splatoon 2 bundle to 3.0.0. ummm lets see.

Last edited by magico29,

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
i got iy baby.
i will use fat 32 i dont have the exfat installed on my console
i tried many times w/o result.this console still on 1.0.0 or maybe i leave like that and update the splatoon 2 bundle to 3.0.0. ummm lets see.

You can use exFAT with hekate. I didn't have the update either but it still copied my backup just fine. IN OFW if you don't have the exFAT (and are connected to the internet) it will ask to update (which is what I did when I was ready to go).

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use exFAT with hekate. I didn't have the update either but it still copied my backup just fine. IN OFW if you don't have the exFAT (and are connected to the internet) it will ask to update (which is what I did when I was ready to go).
no i dont want 5.1.0 baby,i already have a 5.1.0 console with exfat update.
i want to go to 3.0.0 one of my consoles w/0 burn fuses.
thank you anyways.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@quantumboy btw op (this is not a critic or me trying to be a smartass or anything) I would change the title of the thread to something more eye catching. I think a lot of people are discouraged from attempting this even though it's easier and "more user-friendly" than the other guide because of the title.
He actually can't change the title of the thread, only a staff member can. Why that is, well, you'd have to ask GBATemp about that one.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what are the pros and cons of using this method over the other more complicated one?

Vigg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey about this method, do I need to reboot into autorcm to prevent burnt fuses every bootup following this?
Or will fuses only be burnt the bootup after updating, so I can boot normally after I do this trick one time

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey about this method, do I need to reboot into autorcm to prevent burnt fuses every bootup following this?
Or will fuses only be burnt the bootup after updating, so I can boot normally after I do this trick one time
Every single time for the rest of your life.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, TX just released this statement..

The answer is obvious: There is more than one coldboot bootrom exploit, and it is not just the warmboot one.

Fun times ahead!

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fuses get burn when console restarts from update,thats the point to hold + and have jig inside to boot into RCM right after console restarts.

Vigg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Every single time for the rest of your life.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, TX just released this statement..

The answer is obvious: There is more than one coldboot bootrom exploit, and it is not just the warmboot one.

Fun times ahead!

Oke good to know thnx

Chelsea_Fantasy

Someone who hates slow internet connections
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
So I know there is already a very detailed tutorial out there that is quite good and safer than what I am writing, but a number of people seem to be interested in the method I discovered and have tested.
If you are interested in the safer(perhaps) way please look at this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

So the way I figured out basically sets up autoRCM or Brickmii right after the update, before any fuses can be burned. This is why this is potentially risky, if you do not boot into rcm after the update restart before the regular switch os boots the fuses will be burned and you will not be able to downgrade (at least without some other caveats)

DISCLAIMER: I believe this procedure is safe, but I take no responsibility if you somehow do burn fuses, get banned online, or other wise damage or break(brick) your switch console or connected hardware.3

NOTE: AutoRCM and Brickmii have a good chance of causing a small bug that prevents the system from staying powered completely off for more than 30 seconds, there may be a fix for this in the future. Also note that if your console boots to RCM without a payload device or computer sending it, it will appear to be off and can not charge, but will drain battery. I personal find this mildly annoying but most of the time I can keep it asleep in dock or powered on.

Also NOTE: this manner of updates may affect your cart slot firmware and may make the slot not read carts when loading an old fw version.

Things you will need:
  • a rcm jig, or other reliable way to enter rcm (not autorcm or brickmii as they get removed during updates)
  • A SX pro widget or similar product, or a realiable way to load a payload like sx os or hekate

Steps:
  1. Back up everything (boot, raw nand, sd card, you can't be too safe) and keep it someplace safe and labeled
  2. Check the fuse info using hekate, note how many are burned, so you know what you expect to see after the update
  3. Boot up switch in OFW or CFW or even just plain with no mods or loaders
  4. Once booted have your RCM jig inserted and ready to go ( be sure you have confirmed that this actually works)
  5. using either a cartridge or updating via system settings (assuming you are comfortable going online, but I think this is safe) begin updating your system
  6. *MOST IMPORTANT* When the update is almost done or the second you see the complete notification hold the [VOL +] button. And continue holding it till you get to hekate or sx os menu.
  7. When the system reboots it should be in RCM mode, if you have a widget plugged in it should boot to SX OS or Hekate
    IF ON SX OS: navigate to tools and enable auto RCM.
    IF ON HEKATE: navigate to tools and enable brickmii.
  8. Boot into CFW and you will be on the updated fw without having burned fuses
  9. Feel free to use hekate menu to view the fuse info to confirm the fuses are in the same state.

Hope you find this useful.
P.s. I may post a guide on how to downgrade using backup, and a way to protect your cart slot fw as well in the future.
You should add a warning to NEVER RUN OUT OF BATTERY with AutoRCM!

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if this has been asked before, but what are the pros and cons of using this method over the other more complicated one?

Con: can only update to the latest FW.

Pro: less headache inducing method and with less chances of you screwing up if you've made sure that you're able to enter RCM mode after the update has finished (as in, you've tested that your jig works properly so that when you hold Vol+ right before the switch is about to reset it then resets into RCM).

Maiken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

@Sephirosu gives good pro and cons. Another thing to think about is the question "How bad would I feel if the fuses do burn?" If you can't afford accidentally burning the eFuses, this isn't the method for you.

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont really care about burn fuses,i just want to do that to learn(easy method of course).i do have more consoles and money to burn like nintendo fuses.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Con: can only update to the latest FW.

Pro: less headache inducing method and with less chances of you screwing up if you've made sure that you're able to enter RCM mode after the update has finished (as in, you've tested that your jig works properly so that when you hold Vol+ right before the switch is about to reset it then resets into RCM).

@Sephirosu gives good pro and cons. Another thing to think about is the question "How bad would I feel if the fuses do burn?" If you can't afford accidentally burning the eFuses, this isn't the method for you.

I only want to be able to jump to the latest firmware so the inability to choose your firmware wouldn't be an issue for me.
But regarding the risks involved, why is the easy method more likely to burn your fuses? My understanding is that I need to make sure I always boot the firmware through Hekate, meaning that if I ever reboot the device and somehow skip RCM, I'll do a clean boot of Horizon and burn the fuses.
How is that different in the other method? Why is that one less risky?

Sephirosu

Trophies
XP
Country
The process is less risky because you don't meddle with the inside of your switch. You update it "naturally" thru Nintendo. Other than that the whole having to boot into RCM is the same. You can install AutoRCM and leave your Switch in sleep mode if you want to be really careful.

My only reamining question is if it'll burn a fuse if I boot into OFW (horizon) after entering Hekate. Only been on CFW this entire time out of fear of burning fuses (even updated my games using CFW).

Last edited by Sephirosu, , Reason: Add a question.
Reactions: Rune

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The process is less risky because you don't meddle with the inside of your switch. You update it "naturally" thru Nintendo. Other than that the whole having to boot into RCM is the same. You can install AutoRCM and leave your Switch in sleep mode if you want to be really careful.

My only reamining question is if it'll burn a fuse if I boot into OFW (horizon) after entering Hekate. Only been on CFW this entire time out of fear of burning fuses (even updated my games using CFW).

Booting through hekate skips the fuse checks. CFW as of now is the same as OFW with a few kernel patches, and none address fuse burning AFAIK, so for all intents and purposes regarding fuse burning, CFW = Stock. If booting into CFW did not burn your fuses, booting into OFW won't either. It didn't burn mine.

Reactions: Sephirosu

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would using AutoRCM guarantee that I never skip Hekate and go into a clean boot? Are there any instances where that could happen such as when you remove the SD card, or do a full shutdown of Horizon and start a cold boot?
Because without FTPing, I'd probably be removing the SD card often to update homebrew files or dump some NSPs on the card. Last thing I want is to have it some how result in fuses being burnt.

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Would using AutoRCM guarantee that I never skip Hekate and go into a clean boot? Are there any instances where that could happen such as when you remove the SD card, or do a full shutdown of Horizon and start a cold boot?
Because without FTPing, I'd probably be removing the SD card often to update homebrew files or dump some NSPs on the card. Last thing I want is to have it some how result in fuses being burnt.

You should not remove the SD card from your switch, ever. If you want to transfer files, boot in RCM and run UMS Tool from TegraRCMSmash GUI or from hajkosto's memloader.bin payload.

AutoRCM ensures you won't boot to anything other than RCM, since it corrupts the BOOT partitions, unless you do a full nand restore or update your switch.

Reactions: Rune

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey Kennyboy, have you found any decent mini Pc for around $200-250? Fast enough to play most Pc games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd say save another $100 anythtwith 8core upgradeable ram I'm thinking about ordering the acemagic still
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, I haven't turn on my OG Xbox one in ages, just did now and ofcourse, 32GB update required, gonna take forever.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Edit: nevermind, I forgot I up-ed my internet speed, only 30 min remaining.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Will a mobo with a M2ssd slot work without a M2ssd installed, using a sata ssd temporary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    As long as sata just point bios to boot to it as main drive
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Is that a compilation of you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    M.2 is more of a luxury you can still boot from Ide if you really wanted to
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I mean as long as the motherboard still has sata ports unless you're still in celeron days
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    wut
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it has Sata 3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It should still have a Bootable option in bios select drive
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    whats sata?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sata is the type of interface/cable connection of hard drives/disc drives for Pc.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't tell them about old bank drives may explode
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mini pcs in the 70's
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    128kbs of storage
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do I connect this to my emachine
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Tattooist of Auschwitz is pretty good so far