• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

An artist is stripping JK Rowling's name off Harry Potter books and reselling them to fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree as long as they're legally purchased and just being re-bound without the author's name, no copyright infringement. Carry on. But this struck me as funny:

"In February 2022, Flom said on TikTok their aim with this project is to "engage critically and give an option to people who do still want to enjoy Harry Potter without supporting JK Rowling."

Still have to buy the book, dumbass.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree as long as they're legally purchased and just being re-bound without the author's name, no copyright infringement. Carry on. But this struck me as funny:

"In February 2022, Flom said on TikTok their aim with this project is to "engage critically and give an option to people who do still want to enjoy Harry Potter without supporting JK Rowling."

Still have to buy the book, dumbass.
Exactly. They aren't buying it for being a unique piece of work. They're buying it for being a derivative piece of work. She got paid the moment the books that are being rewrapped got sold.

It's a terrible strategy to cut someone out from profiting when you have to buy their product to do so in the first place.

The Beatles weren't mad when people were burning their records. All of those records had already been bought. Same with athletes when it comes to burning their jerseys.

Go ahead and burn your own money, fools. AFTER you pay the people you hate.

Really moving the needle, there, champ.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dumb, shes already a billionaire. Who is this meant to be owning, It sure isn't J.K.

Attachments

• lGqPp2mjxnieNXvQ0WtJCHywZycxy1TzOeKCmSNYXVCa5YafbybvcUhYykF1ZMu-Asl1pd-_6rEGjtd12FzMqk7O.jpg
    lGqPp2mjxnieNXvQ0WtJCHywZycxy1TzOeKCmSNYXVCa5YafbybvcUhYykF1ZMu-Asl1pd-_6rEGjtd12FzMqk7O.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 46

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The idea that somehow you can divorce the artist from the art is so silly

Imagine buying a Picasso and then rubbing out his name

If these people had any sense about them they would stop reading the books altogether

smilodon

Trophies
XP
Country
France

If these people had any sense about them they would stop reading the books altogether
When visiting a museum I don't know all of the artists, yet I can appreciate the art regardless. Look at everything through a political lens is a sad life to live.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they're making money from it, more power to them. I think Rowling was a fool to have ever been talking about such issues that she's really not a part of, as nothing good was ever going to come of it for the franchise or her reputation. However, she's also a billionaire who probably doesn't really care much about the franchise being an even bigger success at this point than it already has been over all these years (pretty sure the 'quality' of her writing in the Fantastic Beasts movies beautifully illustrate this thought). And with that kind of money, it's probably easy to not give a shit about your reputation as well. So to circle back to the original point, who cares if this dude is doing this and making a little extra scratch on the side, Rowling almost certainly doesn't, I mean the books in question still had to have been bought to begin with.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When visiting a museum I don't know all of the artists, yet I can appreciate the art regardless. Look at everything through a political lens is a sad life to live.
If a museum presented for instance Hitler's art without a name placard I would feel a little cheated

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly, this just feels like a roundtable way to piracy. Just pirate the shit and edit out the name yourself, it takes like 10 minutes of your time and you are still ensuring JK doesn't see a dime.

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Conversely, imagine finding a painting that you genuinely loved, but had no idea who the artist was as there was no signature or information attached to the piece. For years and years, you look at that painting every day and feel many things that give you peace and happiness. Then one day, you find out that that painting was done by Hitler. I think in that situation I can forgive and even allow for the divorce from the artist and the art to exist for the person who had appreciated it for so long in their life. Doesn't change that he was one of the most awful people in all of existence of course, but that was never what the appreciator of the art was ever aware of nor certainly thinking about when they looked at that painting every day and got whatever from it that the painting did for them.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Conversely, imagine finding a painting that you genuinely loved, but had no idea who the artist was as there was no signature or information attached to the photo. For years and years, you look at that painting every day and feel many things that give you peace and happiness. Then one day, you find out that that painting was done by Hitler. I think in that situation I can forgive and even allow for the divorce from the artist and the art to exist for the person who had appreciated it for so long in their life. Doesn't change that he was one of the most awful people in all of existence of course, but that was never what the appreciator of the art was ever aware of nor certainly thinking about when they looked at that painting every day and got whatever from it that the painting did for them.
Afterwards tho I think if you kept admiring it people might look at you a tad cross

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Afterwards tho I think if you kept admiring it people might look at you a tad cross
They might, but if they understood your history with the piece, I would hope they could see where you're coming from. And if not, oh well, at least you yourself would know that your appreciation for the piece never had anything to do with the history of the person that made it.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Why would they stop reading the books if they like them?

I think Lord of The Rings movies are the greatest movies ever made, I liked all the parts the actors played. The actor that played Gandalf - Ian McKellen played the part brilliantly. I disagree with some of his lifestyle choices but it doesn't take anything away from his acting ability and I wouldn't deprive myself from watching LOTR or The Hobbit because of this, only someone with mental issues would do that.

Someone that would stop reading books they loved because they have heard someone accuse JK Rowling of being something she isn't is a retard - and I bet that ZERO people can find anything at all the JK Rowling has written or said that's transphobic or anti gay - they just heard some twat on the internet accuse her of that because they didn't like her for some reason or other. If you disagree post proof (not some hearsay by someone) or some video evidence...but you won't, because you can't, because JK Rowling has just stated biological facts - “‘People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?” she wrote.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One of the people I hate the most is the tv show writer Graham Linehan. He is one of the most transphobic people in existence yet two of my favourite TV shows were written by him.

In life you need to somtimes just separate the art from the artist.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Conversely, imagine finding a painting that you genuinely loved, but had no idea who the artist was as there was no signature or information attached to the piece. For years and years, you look at that painting every day and feel many things that give you peace and happiness. Then one day, you find out that that painting was done by Hitler. I think in that situation I can forgive and even allow for the divorce from the artist and the art to exist for the person who had appreciated it for so long in their life. Doesn't change that he was one of the most awful people in all of existence of course, but that was never what the appreciator of the art was ever aware of nor certainly thinking about when they looked at that painting every day and got whatever from it that the painting did for them.
The fact remains that Ms. Rowling has still done absolutely NOTHING wrong and has said absolutely NOTHING that is not scientifically, factually true.

Not once did she denigrate anyone in her books. The only people who did that shit were her paralells to the Nazis, the Death Eaters, who saw Mudbloods as lesser wizards, and humans as not even human at all. And what happened to them?

JK Rowling did absolutely nothing wrong. Just because there are folks out there suffering from gender dysphoria doesn't mean that she is a bad person for saying that only women menstruate. This is demonstrably true, and if this scientific fact triggers you, YOU just might be the problem, not her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol