Hardware Am I boned? Left Wifi on in sleep mode.

TwoPikachus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I got a Gateway a couple of days ago. I turned on wifi to see if I could download some of the Layton vs Wright bonus content because I'd heard Gateway could do online. Because I haven't finished the game yet, I couldn't download anything and just left the wifi on because I figured it wouldn't do anything without my consent.

I opened my 3ds again this morning to resume the game and pressed the home button to adjust the brightness and was greeted with a message about Spotpass gifts, which were Nintendo video and Youtube respectively. I opened the gifts, but didn't open the apps. Now I'm reading some stuff about 3ds auto-updating. Some are saying it will only update if you accept, some are saying it does it for you, and now I'm afraid to quit out of Layton Vs Wright because I'm worried I'll never get back in if I do.

Am I worried for nothing? Or should I keep Layton playing as long as I can? I did make a nand backup before this whole thing, but I'm not good with physical electronics. If I am boned, is there a trusted Temper who will restore nand backups?

Please and thank you, GBATemp.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Your firmware hasn't updated since you were running software in the background, but it will nag you since it clearly downloaded overnight. I don't think you're in danger, but I do hope you have a 4.5 backup NAND just in case. See, this is why EmuNAND is a good idea - prevents you from messing up your real NAND. ;)

Carrie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It has happened to me very recently. I wanted my consoles to "streetpass" with each other but I am not very smart and I didn't think this through :( they both downloaded an update automatically and started nagging me every once in a while. What helped was a system format.

TwoPikachus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Your firmware hasn't updated since you were running software in the background, but it will nag you since it clearly downloaded overnight. I don't think you're in danger, but I do hope you have a 4.5 backup NAND just in case. See, this is why EmuNAND is a good idea - prevents you from messing up your real NAND. ;)

Thank you for putting my mind at ease, Foxi4 :)

I'm not sure if we're allowed to link to other sites here, so please excuse me if not, and I will edit. I followed this guide to the letter: http://www.maxconsole.com/maxcon_forums/threads/278794-GUIDE-Step-By-Step-Gateway-3DS-Installation

They have you format emunand and then update while in emunand mode, then you have to start Gateway mode every time you want to run software, which I was running to run Layton vs Wright. Does this mean I was in emunand? So anything Nintendo threw at me will be flushed when I power cycle?

It has happened to me very recently. I wanted my consoles to "streetpass" with each other but I am not very smart and I didn't think this through :( they both downloaded an update automatically and started nagging me every once in a while. What helped was a system format.

So the console does not auto-install the update, but rather simply auto-downloads them and bothers you to install the update every once in a while? That's not so bad, I can roll with that. An hour spent in a system format is cake compared to learning how to solder my 3ds (and really risk breaking it!)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Take note of point 18. in the maxconsole guide. If your system settings indeed said "GW3D 4.X.X-XX" then you were in EmuNAND and there's no harm in updating that - it's actually recommended if you want to play games online or use the eShop. Caution! Leaving the System Settings menu soft resets the system, so you're not in EmuNAND anymore! Keep that in mind!

I personally recommend removing WiFi settings from your RealNAND just to be 100% certain that it will never download any updates at all - EmuNAND can have the settings as there's no harm in updating it, it's redirected anyways and can be re-created at any time. In addition, it's worth to have some indication of when you're in EmuNAND and when you're in RealNAND on the home screen - consider making a folder, for example one marked R for RedNAND and E for EmuNAND, that way you'll always know which mode you're using by glancing on the home screen.

TwoPikachus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I assume you can't access the game-switching mechanism (select button) with gateway unless you are in GW mode. Also assuming GW mode and emunand are one in the same, then I can further assume I'm currently in emunand while Layton continues to play and therefore am alright! Thank you again, Foxi4. You're a real mensch.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I assume you can't access the game-switching mechanism (select button) with gateway unless you are in GW mode. Also assuming GW mode and emunand are one in the same, then I can further assume I'm currently in emunand while Layton continues to play and therefore am alright! Thank you again, Foxi4. You're a real mensch.
You're welcome - stay safe! :)

Carrie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I personally recommend removing WiFi settings from your RealNAND just to be 100% certain that it will never download any updates at all

I frequently delete the wifi settings on realnand only to see them few days later randomly copied back from emunand :unsure: What you said is good advice but it isn't a foolproof method of avoiding the accidental updates. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

aquishyface

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I frequently delete the wifi settings on realnand only to see them few days later randomly copied back from emunand :unsure: What you said is good advice but it isn't a foolproof method of avoiding the accidental updates. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

This also happens to me too. Everytime i go into my real nand system settings i check my internet settings and sometimes it has been copied over from emunand and sometimes its not. I promptly delete it if it has but it's worrying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021