FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4KRs6.png

Almost 7 years after Mario Kart DS, and only 3 after Mario Kart Wii, Nintendo's released it's latest Mario Kart game, and it certainly feels like a nice successor to it's DS predecessor. But does it live up to the playability that both have had?

Gameplay: 8/10
Mario Kart has always been known for its fun racing, adding in various items to make races more fun(or in some cases, less fun), trying to appeal to as many people as it could at once. The gameplay is more of the same, but that's only to be expected. Nintendo's improved on the game with each different iteration, and Mario Kart 7 is no exception. It removes a lot of the items that Mario Kart Wii had, some of the ones that people felt made the game unfair, and adds in 3 new items: the Super Leaf, the Fire Flower, and the "7" item, the most unique of them all.

The Super Leaf gives you a tail that you can activate as many times as you can in a certain time limit, allowing you to knock over other carts, or bounce items away. The Fire Flower does what one would think it does, and let's you shoot fireballs for a time as well. The 7, however, is a mixed bag. You get 7 different items rotating around you, including a Green Shell, Star, a Banana Peel, and more. But because they're constantly rotating, timing is nessesary to use which one you actually want to use(But don't worry, all 7 are usable!)

Music: 7/10
The music in Mario Kart 7 is nice, with each individual music track fitting the stage quite nicely. That said, while very nice, not many of the songs seem all that remarkable on their own. But that does seem to be the case with many Mario Kart games.

Graphics: 10/10
The graphics in are very nice, and Nintendo doesn't seem to have spared anything on making this game look as beautiful as possible. Even the various kart parts always fit very well with each other.

Replayability:7-9/10
Mario Kart DS had a lot of things you could do including challenges, unlockables, time trials, and various battle modes. Mario Kart 7 brings back a lot of these, but strangely did not keep the challenges and single races. It still retains the Grand Prix and Battle modes, along with the local wireless play. Only time will tell to see if Mario Kart 7 holds up to Mario Kart DS's legacy.

Multiplayer: 8/10
Mario Kart has always been massively about its multiplayer, and the addition of online play that Mario Kart DS introduced certainly gave the fun racing series almost infinite playability. But due to the DS's limitations, while the online multiplayer is certainly a lot of fun, it is hindered by the clumsy friendcode system(And the hackers/cheaters, but they aren't always around.) Mario Kart 7 though, seems to fix almost all of the issues found, and then some.

Mario Kart 7 brings back the standard "Worldwide" and "Friends/Opponents" options that MKDS had, but it introduces a new Communities option as well, which lets you join an online guild-type group and race against people, as well as track your ranking in that group. You can make one yourself, and have all of your friends join, as well, making setting up races much easier than everyone swapping around friend codes.

Overall: 8/10
Overall, the game deserves at least an 8 out of 10. While some parts do seem rushed, and some features that previous versions had are no longer there, the game itself is very fun, and offers plenty of hours of entertainment.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Very detailed. Nice. Thanks. :P

It's about time I did mine but I really lack the time. Oh well, my impressions are on the hype thread anyway. :P :P

BTW- I fell in love with Wii Coconut Mall.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission