Hardware Advice: If you intend to hack the Switch if it ever can be; consider buying your games physically

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I generally have been starting to avoid physical copies of games lately. i've had my pokemon Y lost for over a year now. and generally physical copies, when they break. they're done for. moreso with Disc based games than carts, but same applies to anything physical
If you think you're avoiding losing your games by going digital, then consider what happens when your 3ds/Switch breaks, gets lost, or stolen.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake
D

Deleted User

If you think you're avoiding losing your games by going digital, then consider what happens when your 3ds/Switch breaks, gets lost, or stolen.
my games are linked to my NNID, so when i buy a new one i can just relink it and have my games back. only issue is the save files, which i backup regularly anyway

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my games are linked to my NNID, so when i buy a new one i can just relink it and have my games back. only issue is the save files, which i backup regularly anyway
I never could figure this out with the Wii U. If you have a digital game/saves/updates/DLC, how do you backup just the save data (on an vanilla system)? From what I can tell you have to back up the whole 20GB or whatever.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Unless Nintendo has server issues and/or your NNID gets banned.
Don't get banned. :)

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope you do know that the Wii u sold poorly and that most games will go up in prices hence why i only bought special editions of every game that came out.
Did every game have a special edition? I honestly wouldn't know, as I bought all the pre 2015 games second hand.

Last edited by thorasgar,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope you do know that the Wii u sold poorly and that most games will go up in prices hence why i only bought special editions of every game that came out.

That's why I'm hanging onto them. It's unfortunate however that they will likely re-release a lot of the games on the Switch, so their only worth will be novelty down the road.

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Problem is that you'll have to contact Nintendo to ask them to allow you to do an forced system transfer, and AFAIK the results of getting this kind of help is mixed. I hope that Switch will use a system more similar to PSN/Xbox Live (you can force deactivate the account by yourself and use on another hardware) than 3DS/WiiU NNID (linked to 1 console, have to contact consumer service to force deactivate).

I never could figure this out with the Wii U. If you have a digital game/saves/updates/DLC, how do you backup just the save data (on an vanilla system)? From what I can tell you have to back up the whole 20GB or whatever.
If you wish to backup the save to use only on your console, you can copy all the contents of the game (you can copy 1 game at a time) from system memory to usb (and vice versa) and then navigate to the game listing on memory manager and delete everything other than the save itself and shared data. If you think that it's worth to redownload the game and dlc, you can delete the data individually on memory manager before doing the copy, then you redownload everything. Officially there's no other way that doesn't resort to homebrews and you can't copy only the save for now.

With this method you can't use the save on another console, and if you saved to a USB device and perform a system format, the backup will be incompatible.
Using homebrews you can dump and restore saves using saviine.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Maybe eventually when the eshop is permanently shut down on the Wii U, but until then, resale value will decrease for Wii U games. In a few years they may be worth a little more money, but I'm very happy with the money I'm getting for my games anyway, especially since the money will pay for my Switch.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Remember how private headers work? It's possible that the same ones will be used for cartridge vs. digital, meaning if you copy a game then sell it, then you and the buyer could lose online play.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Maybe eventually when the eshop is permanently shut down on the Wii U, but until then, resale value will decrease for Wii U games. In a few years they may be worth a little more money, but I'm very happy with the money I'm getting for my games anyway, especially since the money will pay for my Switch.
That ain't true. My Bayonetta 1+2 copy already started to raise in prices and that's not the only special edition that raised in value. My project zero special edition also went up a lot in value.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Did every game have a special edition? I honestly wouldn't know, as I bought all the pre 2015 games second hand.
Not all of them but a lot of them did. European special editions tend to be a bit more in value because of the metal cases you have each time with the European editions.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
digital games have different copyright permissions than physical games. digital you are basically renting indefinitely, which can revoked should the "need" arise. physical are yours, you just can't duplicate their work.

Miles54321

Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
With the switch the need to go digital will increase, advantages are:

- Take multiple games anywhere
- Saved on the Cloud and save files are too

Physical advantages

- Physical copies can never ever be retracted buy company in any way
- Harder to lose
- Save storage on Switch for other things
- Sometimes cheaper

I will say go physical until the system gets hacked then afterwards go digital :D

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I'll just buy the games I want to play. However, my 3DS collection consists only of factory sealed games and then when I want to play them, I'll buy a flashcard to have them all-in-one, anyhow.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I generally have been starting to avoid physical copies of games lately. i've had my pokemon Y lost for over a year now. and generally physical copies, when they break. they're done for. moreso with Disc based games than carts, but same applies to anything physical

How the crap do you break a game? I've been playing physical copies since the pong clone era and all my carts and discs bought in the decades since then still work fine. But I guess knowing how to take care of stuff (including not losing it) is a rare skill or something

Wasnt aware digital was "fake"

i wasn't aware physical copies weren't "digital" (because they are) yet people keep acting like that word only applies to downloads, so I guess all language is messed up, and might as well only call it real if you can hold it.

Reactions: foob and XRaTiX

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you enjoy a game, buy it. Even if you bought the game already, if they rerelease it, buy it again. You should always support the franchises you love

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Luke use some force!