Hardware Adding unused memory to gfx card in 32 bit vista

rhyguy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I bought a new computer, and it has 4 gigs of ram, but alot of the hardware doesnt work in 64 bit

can i give the unuseable ram (1GB) to my gfx card to use?

methodone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
no, unless you have one of those super crappy gfx cards which doesn't have its own ram.

also... HA HA VISTA SUX

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you have an integrated video card, then you can probably allocate some of your RAM to it, depending on the motherboard manufacturer. if it's a separate addon video card, then you're stuck with what you have.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A 32-bit operating system cannot allocate over 3.5GB of RAM at all; therefore it cannot be allocated to the video card as shared memory since that is done during run-time (when the limit is already in place).

b4nn3d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vista is probably already giving your video card extra RAM, but I don't know how to adjust that amount.

What doesn't support x64 Vista? XP x64 had massive issues, but no so much with Vista.

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
coolbho3000 said:
Wow, what crap computer manufacturer would put 4GB+ RAM into a computer and make it incompatible with 64 bit?
Better yet, what crap computer manufacturer would make a computer with an integrated video card with 4GB+ of RAM?

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
MystikEkoez said:
coolbho3000 said:
Wow, what crap computer manufacturer would put 4GB+ RAM into a computer and make it incompatible with 64 bit?
Better yet, what crap computer manufacturer would make a computer with an integrated video card with 4GB+ of RAM?

He never said he has an integrated card.

methodone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Urza said:
A 32-bit operating system cannot allocate over 3.5GB of RAM at all; therefore it cannot be allocated to the video card as shared memory since that is done during run-time (when the limit is already in place).

Depends what you mean by 'allocate'. 32-bit linux can access up to 64GB using something called PAE, though normally a single process still has the 4GB limit, without further hacks. Some versions of windows also support this, but i'm too lazy to look up which & how much ram.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually, the 8600GT/GS are pretty good for laptop gaming. Does everything you need. And no, there's no way to add more memory to the graphics unless you have turbocache, but what's the need? More memory to the graphics would simply be a waste simple because you're not going to be using it on a massive resolution.

And to methodone, Vista doesn't suck. It's pretty good and I'm using it myself. I've had less crashes, less lock ups and less problems with Vista than XP. Mainly because Nvidia's focusing their drivers on Vista rather than XP, and I find the Vista interface pretty handy and simple.
smile.gif

Good work rhyguy, you've got a fairly good laptop (at least it can have Aero)

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
coolbho3000 said:
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/27/nvidia-...-crashes-in-20/

Nvidia causes more Vista crashes than Vista itself.
wink.gif
Yeah, NVIDIA drivers SUCK. I can second that.

Hell, Worms World Party's intro goes slow on my PC. And that's a game from almost 10 years ago. And what's the problem? NVIDIA did something after the Forceware 69.xx that screwed up a lot of old games.

ATI does a lot better job, with drivers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, a mixture of that and herbert the pervert +1