Acekard R.P.G. loader 4.01 released & Open Source!

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Acekard R.P.G. loader 4.01 released & Open Source!

World's first open source DS flash kit

acekardrpg.gif
The Acekard Team have today released version 4.01 of the loader for their new slot-1 flash kit and have also released the full source code to the public, living up to their word of going open source. The Acekard R.P.G. is now the first official open source flash kit for the Nintendo DS. It will be interesting to see what talented developers will manage to do with this cart and will definitely be worth keeping an eye on!

You can download both the loader 4.01 and full source code below (both mirrored at our download centre).

The full review of the Acekard R.P.G. based on loader 4.01 will be coming soon so stay tuned to GBAtemp.net.

download.gif
Download Acekard R.P.G. loader 4.01
download.gif
Download Acekard R.P.G. loader 4.01 source code + build environment
icon11.gif
Official Website

Thanks to recover for the news.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I agree. Also, i just remembered, wouldn't having access to the source code mean you would be able to fix the problems with reading/writing to FAT after ejecting and reinserting the cart? So people could dump their save games without having to transfer them over wifi or have a slot-2 cart
tongue.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree. Also, i just remembered, wouldn't having access to the source code mean you would be able to fix the problems with reading/writing to FAT after ejecting and reinserting the cart? So people could dump their save games without having to transfer them over wifi or have a slot-2 cart
tongue.gif
Theoretically almost anything is possible now the source code is released... I'm sure if some talented individuals feel like playing around with the loader then you'll see all kinds of neat things happening.
smile.gif
It will be quite exciting to see what happens from here!

D

Deleted User

About the source code, it is not so clean. I think people should better rewrite it entirely than build upon it.
To justify a bit what I'm saying :
- comments are in chinese, and there's few of them
- almost all the code is lying in a single directory, making it a mess
- a lot of bad habit of C++, like variables declared in the middle of the code, instead of defining a subroutine
If someone give me an acekard, I'd like to code for it, but as it is, I won't buy it...

recover

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not sure it's such a good idea to build from scratch...
Now that we have this we should work with AceKard to improve the loader and try to have everything merged with their official release line.
They have said that they want community support and help with the loader, and I'm pretty sure that's what they'll get.
Another thing they are planning to do is releasing a SVN repository, which will allow developers to try out every commit they make and find bugs before a stable release hits the web.

I hope this will be a catalyst for good, making other card's release their sources as well.
biggrin.gif

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I would like to see that DS GAME INFO Box and I'll buy one AK R.P.G.!!

You know the Box like in R4!! Please do it some talented developers!!
smile.gif

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This could be great, but I have my doubts. Especially if the code are messy, and if its hard to code for. If enough people buy it, something might happen.

I don't have my hopes up though, future will tell. We can hope atleast
smile.gif

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hmm. Well, even though i have 2 slot-1 flashcarts already, if someone releases a loader with some cool feature other flashcarts don't have, I WILL buy it.

tomqman

This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lol it loads up on my cyclo evo but freezes when you try and load miro sd card. that makes me think that this might be a good chance to make work on other flash carts if any kool features come

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Read the reviews