Acekard R.P.G. in-house at GBAtemp

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd still go with the Cyclo over this though. I think the open source shit is so they can kick back and not update their card. I'd rather have regular and consistent updates from a pro team, without all these bugs and lack of standard features (soft reset, download play, wtf?).

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is one thing we wanna clarify that the menu for AK RPG is still debugging for enhancement requestment change and it seems we send a wrong version of menu to gbatemp. But the base function of the menu has passed load test.
We'll send a stable version again.
Thank you.
Do people just try to ignore this post? People are so quick to put it down when the final product isn't even out...However, this stable version can probably have problems too, but we just don't know yet...

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait how other slot-1 makers will respond to this. Let a 100 flowers bloom...

wait, that's a bad thing.

Let's just see how this fleshes out. Awesome pictures by the way!

warbird

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
People here are complaining about stupid stuff. All software. Software can be fixed people! If the hardware sucked, i would have understood, but all the features that you are complaining about is only software dependant! And this card isnt even released yet. Wait for the retail version, and then you can start complaining.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd still go with the Cyclo over this though. I think the open source shit is so they can kick back and not update their card. I'd rather have regular and consistent updates from a pro team, without all these bugs and lack of standard features (soft reset, download play, wtf?).

I can't tell the future, so for all I know, the CycloDS Evolution can still be the best cart in the world, but I do know that you shouldn't judge a cart from first impressions (for example, the DSX). I think you should clear up your facts a bit about the lack of standard features, I mean, this is PRERELEASE, afterall, there are carts that sucked before the software was fully complete, such as the G6DS Real (no homebrew), the N-Card (when released, lacking in every department), etc. If you check Acekard's site, they have a list of future features that will come in the NEXT loader. I think it is best not to judge the product before it goes on sale, after all, they are probably doing some last minute fixes. Many of CycloDS Evolution's great features didn't come out right when it was released.

That's true, but given the fact that they say they've been developing this thing for ten months, you'd think they'd have the smarts to get all the features their competition had and more right from the get go so people would have an incentive to pay the extra money for this. As it is now, if you buy an R4 you can get more than they offer. This far into the lifepsan of the DS slot 1 card I think any newcomer should know they have some stiff competition, mainly coming from the R4 and Cyclo, but all the other cards are exceptional as well.

As I see it now, not having all of those features and MORE is unacceptable.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
http://gbatemp.net/images/news/akrpg/12092007344.jpg
You all see the datecode on that hardware's PCB? July 11? It may not even be the final PCB revision, either. You all realize it's pointless making a GUI until hardware testing is finalized, rigth?

TONNES OF TIME seems to be equal to 8 WEEKS (MAX). That being the case, if some of you are at least 15 you have had around 97.5 times the time they have had to get it's software where it is at to become so opinionated, and all I can say is "what else have you done with that time, you have had 97.5 x tonnes of it...
rofl2.gif

Here's to hoping they don't quietly recall this one too
grog.gif
bloody good device if you ask me (though it is using -gasp- hynix)

Thanks for the pics shaunj
happy.gif

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't know about that one, but all I'm saying is that they have the blueprints, they know the competition, and yet they don't come out guns a blazing, which looks like bad business to me. Why should I drop my R4/Cyclo/Supercard/G6/M3 or what have you for an inferior product that doesn't capitalize on it's promises, and doesn't even offer what I've had for months?

acekard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I would like to say that the loader speed and Download Play will be fixed on the next loader release. Furthermore Action Replay will be released soon.

- I was told this by the AceKard team

They've had tons of time to do that already, why didn't they make that stuff earlier if it's all that easy to make?

It is also has a crap GUI, I want something simple and functional, not too much to ask. This is anything but simple. Hope a dev changes it cause if it doesn't get fixed, my money's staying with me.
Dude, there are enough flashcarts with simplistic GUI's already, can't blame them for making something nice looking now instead.
If you want a simplistic GUI, take the old AceKard. It has a really simplistic GUI and not much seems to have improved since it anyway. (Still 100% ROM compatibility, but nothing more)

I'm wondering who in our team tell jester.hussler about the next release thing.
wink.gif

Yes, those features are in our schedule but we never announced when it would be released.

And about the development time, all i can say is that to make a brand new flash cart is not so easy as you thought. The software would be added more feature in the furtures for sure. So pleease give some time to our programmers and be patient. They are so tired these months.
smile.gif

Thank you.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
acekard, do you have a svn/cvs setup for developers to help out with software development as i'd love to help in anyway i can

the hardware looks good and the software sounds like its coming along too with some more work it will be the king of all ds flash cards

DavePS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As long as this cart ends up having the same no-issues with games UNLIKE R4 & M3 Simply i.e. no ARM7 patching, I couldn't give a rats about soft-reset and cheats and other trivial stuff. I'll just be happy to kick my AK Manager into touch and drag and drop from windows!

4ppleseed

Trophies
XP
Country
Would it be possible (via open source homebrew) to make a program that can read one of those 4GB Pen Flash Drive things off the USB port?

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is open source, we'll have to wait and see.
USB flash drive support would be a funny add-on.
Kinda pointless yet somewhat usefull.

This cart is definitly full of potentiol.
Seems only thing wrong with it is the software on the cart.
With it all being open source, its really just the hardware that matters.
Perhaps thats what they were focusing on the most.
Making software open-source so its less of a priority.
Though theres always updates too.

Ive been waiting for a good cart for awhile now, I think this is it regardless how the official software pans out.
Though working with the minimum features and all the cart features all working is kinda a given requirment anyway.

Now if they could just make a mini-usb lights extension, for those who never grabed a ds xtreme
tongue.gif

Pointless yet fun feature.

hollabackitsobi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is everyone hailing open source? Because if they abandon it and just expect it to be open source and let that handle it, would you buy it? It would come with nothing, and you'd be at the mercy of anyone out there who'd care to develop for it. While the other flashcarts have dedicated teams behind them trying to better them so it sells, this one is abandoned, but "open source".

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why is everyone hailing open source? Because if they abandon it and just expect it to be open source and let that handle it, would you buy it? It would come with nothing, and you'd be at the mercy of anyone out there who'd care to develop for it. While the other flashcarts have dedicated teams behind them trying to better them so it sells, this one is abandoned, but "open source".

Yea. I initially thought about this. They could just produce the hardware, and basically dump their R+D department and let all our "skilled developers" do the work.. Then again it could turn out very well if there were some skilled devs supporting the card.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They do plan on releasing the features people are complaining about themselves. So what's the problem? Of course, if they don't stick to their word that is a problem.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
People here are complaining about stupid stuff. All software. Software can be fixed people! If the hardware sucked, i would have understood, but all the features that you are complaining about is only software dependant! And this card isnt even released yet. Wait for the retail version, and then you can start complaining.

Hmm, you shouldn't base your opinion only about hardware. The current flashcarts all differ not much from eachother hardware wise, so it's basically only the feautures/ui that makes the difference now.

http://gbatemp.net/images/news/akrpg/12092007344.jpg
You all see the datecode on that hardware's PCB? July 11? It may not even be the final PCB revision, either. You all realize it's pointless making a GUI until hardware testing is finalized, rigth?

TONNES OF TIME seems to be equal to 8 WEEKS (MAX). That being the case, if some of you are at least 15 you have had around 97.5 times the time they have had to get it's software where it is at to become so opinionated, and all I can say is "what else have you done with that time, you have had 97.5 x tonnes of it...Â
rofl2.gif

Here's to hoping they don't quietly recall this one too
grog.gif
bloody good device if you ask me (though it is using -gasp- hynix)

Thanks for the pics shaunjÂ
happy.gif
I don't know about GUI making and hardware testing and stuff, but the current flashcarts all steal eachothers feautures in no-time, even if the hardware isn't exactly the same, so I don't see why they couldn't just make these feautures like soft-reset and all already. And then for the time they have, I'd include the time they could have spend on their previous flashcarts too. They also never got soft-reset, downloadplay compat, etc... and just not much of updates at all.

I just think a new flashcart in the market should include all feautures already available on popular flashcarts and bring something new, like cyclods evo did (all r4 feautures + ingame stuff / perfect download play). This flashcart just seems a step back when it doesn't even have stuff like all that.

I bought an AceKard around the time it was released, and when I see how other flashcarts get much more feautures and AceKard just comes with a new cart not having all those feautures released in the meanwhile, it just doesn't make me feel sure they'll be included in a short period of time.
If I'm wrong, the cart will be pretty nice, but they really should work on those feautures before they'll make me consider purchasing an acekard again.

recover

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wasn't he talking about a new version of the loader (not the cart itself) ?

You are probably right, I guess the word "send" made me think snail-mail.

I can't wait how other slot-1 makers will respond to this. Let a 100 flowers bloom...

I, too, hope that this card will be a success and inspire other card developers to open source their software, it would be a catalyst for good.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Normmatt @ Sep 13 2007, 05:39 AM)acekard, do you have a svn/cvs setup for developers to help out with software development as i'd love to help in anyway i can
This is interesting as well, it would be good if we somehow could easily merge with the official repositories, and it will also let developers check out the newest alpha code, and post bug reports before the bugs make it out to the normal users.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/71-year-old-arrested-after-lapd-finds-nearly-3000-boxes-o...