Gaming Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy

Taellon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could find any real discussion about the game on this board, so I was wondering if anybody here even has it. I myself do have it and was hoping to have a discussion about the game.

For those curious about the game, buy it. It's my first Ace Combat game and I'm loving it so far and can see myself playing it for quite some time to come despite not having any multiplayer.

One of the things I'd like to discuss though are the controls. Their not bad, but they feel lacking. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I feel like I'm not in complete control of my aircraft. You use the circle-pad for maneuvering but it can't handle all the maneuvers that a plane should be capable of. I'm not sure the proper term for the movement, but it seems I'm unable to tilt the plane left or right. I can control up and down movement, and I have rudder control for aiming left or right, but I can't seem to tilt the plane. There is a moderate amount of tilt when turning but it doesn't tilt to turn but rather tilts because of the turn.

I don't know if I'm missing something, and I'll double-check the options and controls after this post, but I just wanted to throw this out there to see if anybody else might have an idea if I'm doing something wrong or there really are limits on the controls.

I recall that this game was supposed to have circle-pad pro support, and if I'm not crazy, that should theoretically be able to give the player the control that I feel is currently lacking. However without the circle-pad pro released in my area I have no way to try it(don't feel like paying import/shipping prices on speculation). I haven't seen anything in the game that would suggest circle-pad pro support though, apart from the seemingly missing controls, but maybe it just doesn't show up unless the device is detected.

I'm only a couple hours into the game so far, but I was also wondering when, in the game, certain aircraft are made available to the player. Said aircraft would be the F35, F22, F117, AC-10, and the Eurofighter Typhoon.

Reactions: 1 person

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I just recently got it, so i'm not exactly versed yet in the art of dogfighting (although I enjoy it very much, along with the space combat sections of Starwars Battlefront II). I haven't seen all the available control schemes yet, but i'm pretty sure it's High-G Turning that's this game's version of tighter tilt & turn. You can do that by holding both shoulder buttons (L & R) as you turn left or right. you drastically lose speed, which makes for tighter turns (less speed == smaller radius == tighter turn; even with other dogfighting games it's best to reduce speed as you turn for tight turns). however, lose too much speed and you lose lift, which makes you stall, which makes you drop like a brick. you'll have to get the nose to point down and gain some speed before you can pull out of the dive.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
You mean banking the aircraft? Switch the control scheme over, it gives you better control overall, allows you to bank to either side instead of keeping you level at all times. Trust me, it works so much better that way in the long run.

Obviously I have this game, it's awesome. It has all my favourite things. The XFA 27, and Kei Nagase as my wingman. I've already finished it on every difficulty setting including Ace, but I'm still missing a few planes. Done most of the special missions too. This won't get traded any time soon though, gonna keep on at this til I have every medal, every colour, every plane and every part. Then erase my save data and do it all over again. Seriously, I love this series. And aside from a few minor technical issues (there are maye three missions where there's noticable slowdown, and one where the 3D won't focus properly, although because it an electronic jamming situation I suspect that was intentional and it kinda works), and blasting through that tense canyon flight at top speed in a fully pimped out XFA 27 (which now that I think on it looks a lot like the X Tornado from Sonic X...is that intentional?), in full 3D, missiles flying everywhere, explosions, chaos all around, good times.

I had noticed a very minor fault with the ADF-01 Falken though. When it fires its laser the cockpit (no giggling) no longer rises up like it used to. In all the other games to my knowledge the laser cannon was actually inside the aircraft hidden away, and the nose had to rise up a little to allow it to fire. That doesn't happen any more. What gives?

Also, if the AC-10 is the A10 Thunderbolt (AKA the Warthog/Tankbuster) then all the aircraft on your wish list are available. Including a rather curious addition of two propellor aircraft from the 2nd World War, an American Hellcat and a Japanese Zero. Makes for some real skillful flying as Hellcat at least is not armed with the bog standard fire and forget missiles you have on every other plane. Instead it has more powerful machine guns, a rocket launcher, and an additional gun pod system which allows you to fire 4 guns at once like an X-Wing. Really changes the pace, give 'em a try when you unlock them. You get them for ranking up if memory serves, I'm not sure, they just kinda showed up after a mission...

Taellon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I read through the instructions last night and learned about the high-g turn thing, but haven't had a chance to try it out. I'll look at those different control options when I get a chance to see if the banking thing works and all as well.

Good to hear all my favorite aircraft are in the game. Can't wait to unlock them. Currently my best plane is the F/A-18, a nice improvement over the F-16 I've been using from the start. One other plane I was wondering about, not about being in the game because I've seen it already, but being play usable, is the SR-71. Like I said, I saw it in one of the missions I did(which was a pain of a mission with that altitude barrier and seeming to always be stalling out) but I'd like to be able to fly it at some point as well. So is the SR-71 available for player use in the game?

I'm never going to trade this game in. I've only ever traded in games maybe twice in my lifetime and both times were to help cover the costs of a new game I wanted at the time. I find myself occasionally missing some of the game I traded in, but the games I got in return were worth it in the end. I don't think I'll ever trade in games again, it just feels wrong. And this game is so amazing I'll never let it go.

So doesn't anybody know for sure about circle-pad pro compatibility for this game? This game was listed as one of the games that would support the add-on, but on another forum I asked on they speculated that only the Japanese version will get support since it isn't coming out till next year over there and we won't have the circle-pad add-on until next year. It seems to be all speculation, but I'd be disappointed if the Japanese version supported the add-on but our version didn't. I mean, theoretically this game could be patched to support it if it doesn't already right? The 3DS supports patches now I though. I'm just worried that it will be like the Wii where only games that were designed to be patched can be patched.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I'm in Asia, but for all intents and purposes my country is under the US/ASI region, so we still don't have any Circle Pad Pro anywhere. I'd love to try the game out on that grip though (i have big hands, and sometimes when everybody's doing maneuvers (Cocoon fight), i momentarily lose 3D focus due to frantic button squeezing; bigger grip should help me out here).

just recently got that Hellcat, and i'd love to try it out sometime, but it's too expensive for me right now, lol. worth 11 MIGs, haha.

my fave plane right now would be, surprisingly, the starting plane, the F-16C Fighting Falcon. I got it customized for speed, mobility and stability. i uses it for air-to-air a lot, but i also use the X-29A sometimes. I just find that one harder to aim with guns (higher sensitivity than the F-16C). for missions involving ground/sea targets, i like the MIR 2000D. that rocket launcher is just kickass.

oh yeah, anybody know what that title screen theme song is? it sounds like a very nice melodramatic piece, just the kind you'd expect to hear playing on a sortie against a final boss/Ace pilot.
(actually, thinking about that part in the Sky Crawlers anime movie where the main character flies off to get murdered by Teacher)

and i wish Nintendo also would support this title for future DLCs. new skins would be awesome, not to mention new planes. ^_^

Taellon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I keep meaning to play this more, but somehow I always get side-tracked. Whether it be Skyrim, Skyrward Sword, Garry's Mod... I mean, I really do want to play this game more, it's awesome so far, but I can't seem to find the time for some reason. Anybody know a way of motivating myself to play Ace Combat more? I think the problem is that I've come to associate handheld games with the type of games I play when I'm hiding in my bedroom from company or if somebody else is occupying the TV/PC. With the run of the house these days I feel compelled to make the most of it with other games.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
go watch The Sky Crawlers. And maybe Top Gun. just watch fighter plane movies. Thinking about Sky Crawlers for the most part always gets me itching for some propeller driven dogfighting.

You see those crazy aerial maneuvers, and you get to thinkin, "I wanna do that too. I'm gonna stall and flip and shoot the pilot's cockpit all at the same time."

Taellon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I was playing one of the missions, the one where you have to destroy all the vents of the enemies base as well as destroy the base itself. I was almost finished, with only 2 targets left and when I did an Ace-maneuver to get behind another plane it auto-crashed me into the ground... I wasn't anywhere near the ground when I activated the command.

It's fun stuff, but that right there caused me to put the game away for the night. It's like the game hates me or something.

Anyways, it was fun before that. Fighting that red-fighter guy in an earlier mission with his YF-23 or whatever it was. It was tough, the guy seemed to have ridiculous speed and his aircraft could practically turn around on a dime. And in my most recent mission where the game killed me, I saw an enemy F-22 and was surprised how easy it was to take out with my new Rafale M, no Ace maneuvers needed even. Can't wait till I get to pilot one myself though. Does anybody know exactly when you unlock the F-22?

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Not sure, but I unlocked the F-22 before I finished the storyline.

I'm currently unlocking the Hellcat's colors. I'm kinda disappointed that most of the color schemes are meh. Too bad there's no user-colors or emblems. at least, being able to change color schemes would have been nice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: idk