Helghast

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was on REBUG CFW, let my friend borrow the PS3 and he tried signing on to PSN, which I don't have setup.

PS3 tried updating to newest OFW, but now is stuck on installing @99%.

I have to unplug it or it'll be stuck indefinitely.

This is how I got my PS3 back.

I read online that formatting / upgrading the HDD is the solution for the update loop, but I'm not so sure what CFW I was on.

Can I use the latest (4.81.1 REX), place it in a USB, and update that way when I put in a new HDD?

Can I save the old HDD, I have some games/saves that I'd like to recover if I can.

Am I screwed and now in OFW?

rasputin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah put the latest rebug on a fresh drive and give that a try.

As for saving stuff from your old drive, i don't know. All I know is when it happened to me I couldn't access the drive not matter what i tried.

Also I had to use a different cfw on the fresh drive, can't remember the name now, and once successful changed it to rebug. For some reason, again I don't know, rebug wouldn't take and would get stuck updating.

Good luck

Reactions: Helghast

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't let people use your hacked stuff... Unless your certain they can use it properly.

I am not sure pulling the hard drive will help?

Is this a launch PS3 where most of the firmware is stored on the system in flash memory?

If it's a slightly newer one than most of the firmware is stored on the hard drive, and it might work.

Edit: I think you need to hold down the power button while booting up to get into the service menu or something?

http://www.semperthree.com/ps3recoverymenu.html

Last edited by Psionic Roshambo,
Reactions: Helghast

Helghast

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is a slim ps3, CECH-2501A.

I did the safe mode recovery sequence, doesn't work. Goes straight to update process.

I don't mind replacing the HDD, which would cancel the update process.

The problem is, I don't know what previous CFW I was in, can I do trial and error, it might be 4.80.1.

Hopefully trial and error won't brick the console.

Thanks for the replies.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chances are the update already "fixed" the updaters SIG check. Meaning only an ofw will install but you cab try a new drive with the rebug 4.81 pup. If it works lucky you. If not you sir are now an owner of an ofw ps3

happydance

Trophies
XP
Country
I sometimes accidentaly updated my cfw ps3, games and save will remain there and will just be updated to ofw

Usually a 99% stuck while updating is an issue with the internal harddrive. Try replacing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yes that's why yours won't leave me alone +1