Accessing CFW from old OOT3d HAX

Soullez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My 3ds had the OOT3D HAX entry point to the homebrew launcher from 2017 and I currently updated to 11.16. With the eShop closing, there are obvious reasons for wanting to have it moded prior.

I tried to install luna but nothing has been working (red screen at point of install) and from what I can find it's because there is already custom firmware on it.

Ther isn't much information out there on how to deal with this situation. I believe the CFW would still be on the 3ds however it is updated to 11.16 and has no way of accessing it. Yet no methods of installing CFW will work as it already exists.

Does anyone know of any guides on how to deal wth this situation or is my 3ds doomed to have unaccessable CFW on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Soullez,

Soullez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Do you have anything in the SD card apart from the nintendo folder?
Yeah it's all the old files from the oot3d hax. These are all from 2017 though so all the access points have been patched.

Attachments

• 3ds.png
    3ds.png
    7 KB · Views: 27

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Ok and at which point exactly do you get the red screen?
Also try this: Hold select while booting, what happens to the 3ds? does it get to the home menu?

Soullez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ok and at which point exactly do you get the red screen?
Holding select or start while booting goes straight to the home menu, no homebrew launcher. (I initially assumed this meant there was no longer CFW on the 3ds although ti appears that was very wrong haha).

I have tried 2 access points.

1: At 11.22 here, opening Picross - Instead of getting a green screen like in the video, the bottom screen turns red and it freezes.

2: At 10:00 here, clicking Detailed Setup - The bottom screen turns red and stays there (even though it appears to go red for a split section in the video, mine agrain freezes on the red screen)

For both of these methods the micro SD was formatted correctly. It seems that the only reason this happens in both cases is because there is already CFW on the 3ds.

If it also helps - in 2017 I was using the Homebrew Launcher.

Soullez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Never use a video tutorial, they can get outdated. Hold select while booting the 3ds and tell me what happens
Holding select or start while booting goes straight to the home menu, no homebrew launcher. (I initially assumed this meant there was no longer CFW on the 3ds although ti appears that was very wrong haha).

I also do not have a backup as this was done 6 years ago.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
This is why you never follow youtube tutorials, always use https://3ds.hacks.guide/ because if you did you could've had an easier time installing cfw. Here you see why, you could have done the soundhax one for example and didn't need the seedminer method. Anyway try to follow this guide to a T https://3ds.hacks.guide/seedminer

Attachments

• Sin título.jpg
    Sin título.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 21

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Copy/ paste all the data that's on your sd card to somewhere safe in your pc, keep only the Nintendo 3ds folder. Then try again following the Seedminer method in the 3ds.guide page.

Soullez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Copy/ paste all the data that's on your sd card to somewhere safe in your pc, keep only the Nintendo 3ds folder. Then try again following the Seedminer method in the 3ds.guide page.
I've tried that with multiple exploit methods however since ther was a CFW installed via the homebrew launcher back then, nothing will work to get a new access point.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you get to the homebrew channel? Also did you try following the guide I linked, like, reading all of it and downloading the necessary files?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've tried that with multiple exploit methods however since ther was a CFW installed via the homebrew launcher back then, nothing will work to get a new access point.
Going by the files on your SD, and the fact holding Select on boot does nothing, you don't have A9LH installed, nor B9S. There is one older coldboot method, that being menuhax. It's possible that your 3DS had autobooting CFW through menuhax, using an older non-Luma CFW that doesn't have a "press select on boot" feature. Generally, the data for menuhax is stored in the "Nintendo 3DS" folder on SD, so as long as that folder was kept, even if you removed everything else from the card menuhax would still boot.

Anyways, see if you have menuhax_manager in HBL, if you do, load it and look for an uninstall option.
menuhax hasn't been used for a long time, but it used to be the primary way of booting CFW, so it's certainly possible that you have it installed. arm9loaderhax was released in 2016 however, you would not be likely to be installing menuhax in 2017 if you were using an up to date guide, but if you were using a video tutorial (which it seems likely you were), then those are often outdated and who knows what steps you took to hack it exactly.
That's one of the reasons people don't recommend video tutorials, because there are many different ones in varying degrees of outdated and it makes it harder to help people without having a well known guide to refer to to see where someone might have made a mistake and to fix mistakes.

I think it's probably unlikely that you currently have autobooting CFW through menuhax, any CFW old enough to have a .3dsx homebrew would not support 11.16. But to my recollection menuhax could skip loading boot.3dsx and go straight to the normal home menu, which would appear as a normal, unhacked console but could still interfere with the CFW install process because it's changing stuff in memory. I don't remember how this skipping worked, whether it would just load into the stock home menu if no boot.3dsx was found or you had to hold a button combination or what else, it's been a while. But it means that it might be possible for menuhax to still be loaded but not give any indication of it when you removed everything on the SD card except for the "Nintendo 3DS" folder, and that could be interfering with CFW install.

This is all guesswork though, just one potential cause for the issue you're describing, loading into menuhax_manager and attempting to uninstall can't hurt though, and will help clarify whether you have menuhax installed. If you do, then by uninstalling it you should be able to proceed with http://3ds.hacks.guide to get up to date CFW installed.
In any case, you should try following http://3ds.hacks.guide as that is the up to date guide people recommend, and potential problems with it are well known so it'll be easier to identify the problem than when you are following random video tutorials people aren't familiar with. First have a look in your HBL if you have menuhax_manager, if it's not there then probably you didn't use menuhax unless you've deleted the files for it. After that, follow 3ds.hacks.guide.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have looked at the posts and I am still not clear on this:

I tried to install luna but nothing has been working (red screen at point of install)

What is "point of install"? Can you still access the Homebrew Launcher from OoT3D, or are you trying to run something from the Homebrew Launcher? If so, what are you trying to run?

Also, as noted above, some things changed when 11.16 was released and following instructions for 11.15 will likely be a waste of time.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
He can't install luma since he can't trigger the bb3 exploit. That's where he gets a red screen. I advise him to start again using the guide since it might be related to the file used to trigger bannerbomb

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im pretty sure that your otherapp that was injected into your savefile for OOT is long obsolete now that its been updated. Aswell as OOT being only a userland entry point that this is going to be not what you want when it comes to actually installing CFW. You need a recent entry which is seedminer or NTRboot.

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Im pretty sure that your otherapp that was injected into your savefile for OOT is long obsolete now that its been updated. Aswell as OOT being only a userland entry point that this is going to be not what you want when it comes to actually installing CFW. You need a recent entry which is seedminer or NTRboot.
He's trying to install luma using seedminer, however it seems he can't since the moment he has to trigger bannerbomb it freezes on a red screen

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Im pretty sure that your otherapp that was injected into your savefile for OOT is long obsolete now that its been updated.
The otherapp for 11.7U still works on 11.16U and every version in between. And you could, in theory, use it to run slotTool, as in https://3ds.hacks.guide/installing-boot9strap-(hbl-usm) . But of course nobody does things that way.

He's trying to install luma using seedminer, however it seems he can't since the moment he has to trigger bannerbomb it freezes on a red screen
At this point I for one have no idea what he's doing.

Reactions: lone_wolf323

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?