Suggestion A sticky or subsection in the "user submitted news" showcasing (temp) free giveaways and/or deals

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi,

Here's a dilemma I'm facing right now: at the moment, Jotun is (apparently) a free giveaway game on steam at the moment. I don't want to make a news thread about it, as pretty much all systems do this from time to time. Be it EA's origin, steam or ubisofts uplay. And that's not counting the near-giveaways (like GOG, where you sometimes can get games by jumping through hoops) or deals like humble bundle.

You see where this is going: if everyone just posts these things in user submitted news, it can easily overshadow all other user submitted news. And even free, it can very much be argued that these are commercials (at the very least, the 'cost' of the game is having an account on the service), which not everyone might like.

So my suggestion is to either open a subsection in the user submitted news on this, or have a sticky thread there where everyone can "dump" whatever free giveaways might occur during a certain time it is available.

Soooo...what do you guys/girls think? :-)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I don't personally think having an entire section would be necessary, I know you say that there's a lot of free giveaways but it really isn't that much to warrant a whole new sub-section. At best, maybe a sticky in the USN or the General Gaming section for free games that could be updated, that would probably be the best solution. We could keep the OP updated, and put the latest free game in the title whenever necessary

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
@DinohScene : I disagree. Since this only happens occasionally (about once a week at the very most), people either wouldn't notice or assume it's an ad. Worse so: that would be depending on staff members to scour for free games. I more want to be able to report the existence of a free game rather than take advantage of it.
...okay: I mostly want both. The thing is that there are more tempers than gbatemp-admins, so chances of it being noticed increase. Hence my suggestion of adding it to the user submitted news (because it is, y'know...user submitted).

@Tom Bombadildo : I'm fine with either. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.