A real way to convert .ciso to .iso

spinoman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
oh that... I tried that - won't work.

I thought you meant some other more complicated way, especially after you mentioned "a 8gb sd card or usb key"
i'm sorry i can't help you more than this without your original ciso file.
also, i don't know nkit at all, if your ciso file is built by that.
i mentioned a ntfs device because the entire procedure i described is not possible using only fat32 file system due to 4gb limit.
gcit, after checking the content of the image, produces gamecube iso files of exactly 1.459.978.240 bytes that are working with my nintendont.
i think you can find "altenative ways" to play xeno crisis, maybe on a different system... good luck.

Last edited by spinoman,

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm on the same situation, NKit can't convert the CISO back to ISO, not even after updating the No-Intro DAT, so NKit won't delete the resulting file, but allow me to shed some light on this matter:

Followed most recommendations on this thread to convert the CISO into an ISO, which came up as a full Wii backup filesize file (more than 4 GB), useless in any way, not recognized by any known software commonly used to deal with Wii or NGC backups.

Then a glimpse of genius came to me, if the CISO is a compressed ISO, 7Zip must be my saviour. So I opened the CISO using 7Zip and extracted it into a folder, and it worked!

It came up as a folder structure with some DOL files and a very rare BIN inside a [BOOT] folder. The main DOL file can be opened using Dolphin and the game will run perfectly. So then, the same DOL file should be useable on a Wii console using a backup loader of some sort (haven't tried).

Now I'm trying to find a way to convert the folder structure into a valid NGC ISO file, GC Rebuilder didn't work though, creating an ISO from the folder didn't worked, so this last step is the one I'm missing to get a NGC ISO that I can try playing on my real Wii.

If someone can help me on this, thanks in advance.

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
I'm on the same situation, NKit can't convert the CISO back to ISO, not even after updating the No-Intro DAT, so NKit won't delete the resulting file, but allow me to shed some light on this matter:

Followed most recommendations on this thread to convert the CISO into an ISO, which came up as a full Wii backup filesize file (more than 4 GB), useless in any way, not recognized by any known software commonly used to deal with Wii or NGC backups.

Then a glimpse of genius came to me, if the CISO is a compressed ISO, 7Zip must be my saviour. So I opened the CISO using 7Zip and extracted it into a folder, and it worked!

It came up as a folder structure with some DOL files and a very rare BIN inside a [BOOT] folder. The main DOL file can be opened using Dolphin and the game will run perfectly. So then, the same DOL file should be useable on a Wii console using a backup loader of some sort (haven't tried).

Now I'm trying to find a way to convert the folder structure into a valid NGC ISO file, GC Rebuilder didn't work though, creating an ISO from the folder didn't worked, so this last step is the one I'm missing to get a NGC ISO that I can try playing on my real Wii.

If someone can help me on this, thanks in advance.
There's a simple reason why 7-Zip worked, and it's not because it's compressed (it's not).

The disc is actually ISO 9660, with a tiny GCM in the system area to provide the minimum needed to get it to boot.
7-Zip can open ISO 9660 images.

This is how it was made: http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/Building_a_Bootable_Disc

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, wow, wow, hold on a second, how can you load a .dol file using a backup loader?

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There's a simple reason why 7-Zip worked, and it's not because it's compressed (it's not).

The disc is actually ISO 9660, with a tiny GCM in the system area to provide the minimum needed to get it to boot.
7-Zip can open ISO 9660 images.

This is how it was made: http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/Building_a_Bootable_Disc
Actually, it is LZMA compressed. If it were a plain ISO file, modifying the file extension would be enough to make it useable, but its not the case.
It can once you revert it back to an ISO with WiiBaFu. Yeah, it will be a large 4+gb file, but from what I've read, NKit will convert that as an GC ISO, at it's normal ISO size (1.35gb). I will get around to doing it myself, eventually :)
I've already tried all recommendations from this thread, as I've already mentioned on my message, none of them worked.

NKit relies on a No-Intro Dat file that if its not the most updated one will delete the resulting ISO once processed the CISO, so its useles for me. Even more, it will create a Wii ISO file, so it won't retaing the NGC boot capability at all.

Extrems

GameCube Wizard
Trophies
Website
www.extremscorner.org
XP
Country
Canada
Actually, it is LZMA compressed. If it were a plain ISO file, modifying the file extension would be enough to make it useable, but its not the case.
7-Zip disagrees.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-21 210525.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-21 210525.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 36

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I've already tried all recommendations from this thread, as I've already mentioned on my message, none of them worked.
My mistake - Sorry :(
I went through my old test notes when I did a 2disc GC game. I really thought it was in CISO.
Anyway, it turned out to be NKit.iso, which I converted back to ISO, & ended up with correct sized GC ISO's.

Perhaps asking Wiimm politely for an easy GUI version would increase user confidence. The command line control is confusing (to me).
Hope you're doing well, Wimm :)

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Vimm's Lair comments on how the Xeno Crisis GameCube .ciso file was created

Attachments

• Vimm's Lair.txt
    321 bytes · Views: 54

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you tried the iso with dolphin
dude, I don't care about dolphin and PC emulation in general. I tried it with a real wii and nintendon't and I talked to some other guy on another forum and he got a black screen too using a real wii and nintendon't and there was another one who tried it ona real gamecube - same result, which leads me to believe that the game is unplayable on the wii and gc

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Update:

Finally obtained a valid hashed ISO file converted from the CISO with a SHA-1: 38c8bdb906d21f4fd846a46b98ab591d5ce47278

Now I need to test it on a NGC or a Wii (Nintendont), but will do it tomorrow, I'm off to sleep now.
Post automatically merged:

nope.

Anyway, recently I even found an .iso version of Xeno Crisis for GC, but got black screened as well. So, the problem is in the game, not the extension
Did you validated its hash against Vimm's?

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
dude, I don't care about dolphin and PC emulation in general. I tried it with a real wii and nintendon't and I talked to some other guy on another forum and he got a black screen too using a real wii and nintendon't and there was another one who tried it ona real gamecube - same result, which leads me to believe that the game is unplayable on the wii and gc
in fact I also tried on nitendont and on a real gamecube and always black screen
I also tried converting it with nkit2 20230310 and the size becomes 110MB
in fact I mentioned in post #16 that only du dolphin worked

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you validated its hash against Vimm's?
no, I didn't.

Update:

Finally obtained a valid hashed ISO file converted from the CISO with a SHA-1: 38c8bdb906d21f4fd846a46b98ab591d5ce47278

Now I need to test it on a NGC or a Wii (Nintendont), but will do it tomorrow, I'm off to sleep now.
cool... report back once you test it on the Wii (Nintendon't)

in fact I also tried on nitendont and on a real gamecube and always black screen
I also tried converting it with nkit2 20230310 and the size becomes 110MB
in fact I mentioned in post #16 that only du dolphin worked
yeah, I know, that sucks, I wanted to play it on the wii's nintendon't using my GC-similar Switch controller, it was kinda the whole purpose of having the GC version since I already have the genesis one, but anyway will see if @CMDreamer comes through

Last edited by cereal_killer,

matto21

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Update:

same SHA-1
what size is your iso converted from ciso

Attachments

• 2023-07-23_111948.jpg
    2023-07-23_111948.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 38

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
same SHA-1
what size is your iso converted from ciso
Same 110 MB.

Update:
No dice, same black screen. I've tried everything I could imagine, even tried loading the CISO with the same result.

If just we could load a NGC DOL file using Nintendont, that could solve our problems, because we'd be able to load directly the xenocrisis.dol file without requiring nothing more... unless.. something came to my mind, will try it and report back when I'm done with it.

I'm now watching this thread for your comments.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...