XP
Country
Canada
gifi4 said:
Is SATA backwards compatible?
Yes. devices and hosts

gifi4 said:
Also, what's Power Protection and UPS?
UPS stands for un-interruptible power supply, it's a power strip with a huge battery in it allowing you to last somewhere between a few minutes to an hour, depending on how much money you spend. To give you an example, I have a 350VA UPS connected to my computer (which consume probably 20% less power than your build), and in case of a power outage, it gives me barely enough time to save my stuff and properly shut down my computer (like 3min.).

As for power protection, most people use the term to refer to a power strip with some surge protection but UPS can also be considered part of the category

gifi4 said:
Are they necessary?
Yes, they protect you precious electronic devices for electrical variation which can shorten the life span of your hardware, and sometimes break it. It's quite common to see people line-up at the computer store the day following a storm. But the best safety during storms is to disconnect you electronics completely, cause if the lightning strikes at the wrong place, even the best surge protection can't do a thing to save your computer.
Even if you're not convinced, you'll still need a power strip to connect all of your stuff, so just spend a bit more get something better.

QUOTE(gifi4 @ Oct 4 2011, 09:24 PM) How do I install them?
I never thought I would have to explain to somebody how to use a power strip. Don't you have power strip in Australia?

So... Well... Here it goes:
1. unpack the power strip from it's package (can't provide more detailed instruction for this part cause products can be packaged in different ways)
2. find a power outlet on the wall near where you will be placing the electrical device that need the power strip.
3. remove the twist tie from the wire (for advanced user only: if the wire is longer than needed, you can fold a part of it and re-use the twist tie to attach the wire)
4. with one hand, grab the plastic part at the tip of the wire (also called plug) then cautiously align the metal pins from the plug with the holes in the power outlet
5. gently insert the metal pins from the plug inside the holes of the power outlet until the base of the plug touch the power outlet ( it's really important NOT to TOUCH the metal pins while inserting them)
6. As you will see, the power strip has multiple socket that look exactly the same to the one you connected it in step 5, on those you will connect the plugs (plural of plug as defined in step 4) of the different electrical devices you want to use.

QUOTE(gifi4 @ Oct 4 2011, 09:24 PM)
Can yous recommend me one please?
For UPS, APC or tripp Lite.
monsters product are usually way over priced.
Else, look around and try to make yourself an idea by comparing products and price.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks marcus,
When you referred to power strip, I had no idea what you meant but the reason for that is I just call it a power board (Another common name for it) and yeah, we do have them in Australia lol.

I doubt I'll be needing a UPS as I barely get blackouts around my area, on the odd occasion that I do, I'm not too worried as long as it wasn't something to do with school. (Don't have one in current pc, never had to worry much)

Power Protection, I bought a powerboard from a shop called Dick Smith the other day, 8 power points with surge protection along with a few other things, it was $40 something down from $80 something.

As for my build, the parts are all compatible, going to the part store tomorrow to buy RAM and a PSU, and each week I shall be going back, buying my GPU last and the CPU second last. (Due to prices and my father making sure he has the $ at the time.)

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm the GPU I've been looking at says it needs a minimum of a 600W PSU, does that mean it uses 600 watts or what?

Ehh, nevermind, found out it only uses 200 something watts.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm the GPU I've been looking at says it needs a minimum of a 600W PSU, does that mean it uses 600 watts or what?
It simply means that it draws a lot of power (200w+) but since you have to consider that other components need power too, they recommend 600w for the system.
Usually, the limiting factor on a psu for gpu is the 12V rail ampere.

Manufacturer tend to indicate a power rating which gives the user some headroom for "normal" upgrade

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-580-us.html
If you look at the specification sheet (at the bottom of it), you'll see the nvidia rate the typical power draw of a GTX580 at 244w.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
...Am I screwed??

All that's left to buy is the CPU...

The GTX 580 needs an 8 pin and a 6 pin.
My PSU only has 6 pins... Am I screwed?

And do I need to have 2 GTX 580's Cause if so, I'm screwed again...

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, must've overlooked the adaptor.

By the way, the PSU 12V rail goes up to 50A, what does that mean?
The GPU uses 40- something.
Do all parts need a part of the 50A? If so, I take it I need a dif PSU?

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
As some people already know, my computer is up and running, currently I've got 1 problem to do with hamachi which is why I haven't mentioned this...

I'm just curious as to if I should disable Pagefile? With 8GB RAM, I shouldn't really need pagefile, should I?

Licardo7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get a dual core with a motherboard that has a core unlocker and just make yourself a quad core. I did this with my amd phenom 2 550 and it works perfectly.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
get a dual core with a motherboard that has a core unlocker and just make yourself a quad core. I did this with my amd phenom 2 550 and it works perfectly.
Not everyone is so lucky. The reason the dual cores (such as those which come from the same manufacturing batches as quad cores) are actually sold as dual cores, is because the manufacturer-locked cores exhibited substandard qualities. Your advice doesn't come with guarantees and I personally don't think it's a very good idea for someone who needs help building a computer to begin with, to plan a build around that strategy. They could just as easily be setting themselves up for disappointment.

Licardo7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone is so lucky. The reason the dual cores (such as those which come from the same manufacturing batches as quad cores) are actually sold as dual cores, is because the manufacturer-locked cores exhibited substandard qualities. Your advice doesn't come with guarantees and I personally don't think it's a very good idea for someone who needs help building a computer to begin with, to plan a build around that strategy. They could just as easily be setting themselves up for disappointment.

I agree. Especially with the costs of true quad cores these days, it would be way smarter to go with one of those.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You do realize I already have my comp built and this thread is uhh....dead.
So yeah xD
Edit: 'till you posted, it was 7 months without a post, dead I tell you!

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize I already have my comp built and this thread is uhh....dead.
So yeah xD
Edit: 'till you posted, it was 7 months without a post, dead I tell you!

You gotta necro pretty damn hard to go back that far lol.

I agree. Especially with the costs of true quad cores these days, it would be way smarter to go with one of those.

MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and a buddy used to play that, is pretty fun. Graphics were pretty good also at that time, I think what 5-6 years ago. --Edit yea was 2018
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Surprised they never made a second one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It takes two was their newest different theme
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I didn't care for that one so much, but didn't play it much either.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just played little of "Still Wakes The Deep" , just came to gamepass today, its alright, kinda creepy. I'm not usually a horror game fan, but it looks really good graphic wise, esp w 4k. I admit it made me jump a few times.
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    Anyone here using the 3DS?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    do u have pretendo?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    whats ur code?
  • B @ btjunior:
    i dont have pretendo sorry
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    oh ok
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    well if ur console isnt modded i suggest u to mod it
  • B @ btjunior:
    also, just curius, does the freinds app still work after the shutdown?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    yes
  • B @ btjunior:
    nice
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    but u cant play online games anymore :(
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i miss going in other peoples town
  • B @ btjunior:
    yeah
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i have a friend named Pineapple (@pineappleJuice hi). we played a lot the day b4 the server shutdown
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I preten to know doe
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @LNLenost how well is the pretendo servers, you ever get kicked off games when playing online?
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    @BigOnYa not always you get kicked. it happens rarely to me.
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    ofc they're not great, but props to them for making this
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    btw, I decided to make the nintendo support team going insane
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but actually they disappeared because i opened the badge arcade w/ pretendo
    LNLenost @ LNLenost: i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but...