Homebrew A little help please

rufio101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Please bear with me, i am very much a noob. I am wondering if what i need to do to be able to play super nintendo games on my DS. I have alot of SNES games at home but want to play them on the road. There seems to be 1 million different products to buy. So basically what should i buy that is the easiest and best way to play SNES games. Assume i know nothing (which is probably true) Thanks a ton

D

Deleted User

rufio101 said:
Please bear with me, i am very much a noob. I am wondering if what i need to do to be able to play super nintendo games on my DS. I have alot of SNES games at home but want to play them on the road. There seems to be 1 million different products to buy. So basically what should i buy that is the easiest and best way to play SNES games. Assume i know nothing (which is probably true) Thanks a ton
You can't play your cartridges on the DS.
You have to buy a flashcart such as an R4 DS, M3 DS Real, CycloDS etc.
Then, you download an emulator for it (such as SNEmulDS) and then download ROM Images of the game you wish to play (usually in .smc format) and then put them on the cart.

Then you run the emulator and select which game you want to play and voila.

rufio101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the quick reply. a few more questions if you dont mind.

1) does anyone have any idea what the easiest/best "flashcart" is? I have looked myself but its hard because alot of the info is out of date, and i have limited knowledge Maybe a link to where i can grab one?
2) How many SNES game actually work. Playing Chrono trigger would be great
3) Any suggestions for the best emulators for the DS to play SNES

Thanks again

D

Deleted User

rufio101 said:
Thanks for the quick reply. a few more questions if you dont mind.

1) does anyone have any idea what the easiest/best "flashcart" is? I have looked myself but its hard because alot of the info is out of date, and i have limited knowledge Maybe a link to where i can grab one?
2) How many SNES game actually work. Playing Chrono trigger would be great
3) Any suggestions for the best emulators for the DS to play SNES

Thanks again

1) In my opinion, M3 DS Real but it differs for different people... you can probably get one from Amazon.
2) Lots of SNES games work (not very well, fairly glitchy) apart from Super Mario RPG (because of a special chip needed) and some others, for example Tales of Phantasia. You can find a compatibility list here
3) SNEmulDS is the best emulator.

Eternal Myst

Back from the Myst.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to play them on the road get a laptop.The laptop is the best handheld there is
grog.gif

Or if you want to play them on a smaller handheld get a psp.
The DS isn't very good at emulating snes games,but a psp will play most games with a 90% compability.
You can even play N64 games on a psp.

rufio101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Actually i do use my laptop for that quite a bit but my 17" laptop is not overly convenient. I would get a PSP but i am a big fan of the DS over the PSP.

I am kinda reconsidering getting a flashcard now if it only works for a couple SNES games. I have an old school GBA player that my girlfriend got me so i think i will stick to NES unless someone finds a way to play SNES on the DS, I would imagine that Sega games have the same prob as SNES?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, emulators in general for DS are getting a lot better (JenesisDS, Lameboy, and NeoDS). SnemulDS hasn't been updated in a while and the author (Archeid) seems to have disappeared off the internet (hope he's alright). But the DS is still in it's prime of life and seeing how the SNES is so popular a system (one of the best), I'm sure there will be other DS programmers who will take up a SNES emulator for DS.

rufio101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well now i am back to the thinking that i should still purchase something thanks to you. This may sound like a weird question but if not to play snes games what else can, for example, a CycloDS card do? I would still buy DS games but is it possible to back those games up using this? It would seem weird that it could handle DS games but not SNES tho.... My other main concern would be playing shining force 2. Love that game
smile.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rufio101 said:
It would seem weird that it could handle DS games but not SNES tho.... My other main concern would be playing shining force 2. Love that game
smile.gif

The answer to that is pretty simple. The DS is specifically meant to play DS games, not SNES games. The emulators have to interpret the instructions the SNES games call and translate them into DS equivalents. Sometimes the DS doesn't have an equivalent or the equivalent takes a lot of CPU power to emulate.

It's not just one or two SNES games that can be played on the DS. Many are playable, and many are enjoyable. I've particularly enjoyed playing through the Donkey Kong Country series on my DS, though it does require you to fiddle with the graphics settings from time to time. Chrono Trigger has some serious graphical glitches in certain areas, but I feel that if you've played the game before you won't have too many issues.

Any slot-1 device can run SNEmulDS, which is considered the best SNES emulator. There's also SnezziDS, but this requires a slot-2 device with GBA support in order to run. The good side is that you can easily test SnezziDS in the "no$gba" emulator for Windows, allowing you to get an idea of how SNES emulation on the DS works, keeping in mind that on an actual DS using SNEmulDS it would be faster and more compatible.

As for the "best" device to get, that's entirely subjective. Read the GBAtemp reviews, check out http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=70252 to see what people are recommending, and only then choose a cart to buy. Make sure you research your choice thoroughly to make sure you'll be getting exactly what you want.

strata8

Look! A pointless distraction!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
rufio101 said:
Well now i am back to the thinking that i should still purchase something thanks to you. This may sound like a weird question but if not to play snes games what else can, for example, a CycloDS card do? I would still buy DS games but is it possible to back those games up using this? It would seem weird that it could handle DS games but not SNES tho.... My other main concern would be playing shining force 2. Love that game
smile.gif
It's even weirder that the DS can emulate NeoGeo games (almost) perfectly, but it has trouble emulating the SNES
wacko.gif
... Another (better) emulator will probably come.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
stratton_865 said:
It's even weirder that the DS can emulate NeoGeo games (almost) perfectly, but it has trouble emulating the SNES
wacko.gif

You think that's weird .. try this ... the best SNES emulator on a handheld device, right now, is running on a device that has no shoulder buttons!

D

Deleted User

Bob Evil said:
stratton_865 said:
wacko.gif

You think that's weird .. try this ... the best SNES emulator on a handheld device, right now, is running on a device that has no shoulder buttons!

What's that crazy device?
No way in hell would I be seen using one of THEM.

Hah.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell Kanye I need power
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Better start running in your hamster wheel
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Meth addicts on a treadmill connected to a generator "Unlimited POWER!!!'
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before or after a hit?
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay