Hacking A few words on IOSU, redNAND, and iosuhax.

Suiginou

(null)
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Did you not read a word of what I said? I'm fine with open development. I'm not fine with people leaking unfinished crap onto GBAtemp where people are running it without giving a word of thought to the repercussions.

Did you not understand what I'm saying? There can't be any "leaking" in an open platform. That's like saying someone "leaked" code from the latest commit in Luma3DS. If you don't want people to use it and give people warnings (which didn't deter people from dumping their OTP back when the Guide was a downgrade to 2.1 on sysNAND), you just have to be there first.

Right now, everything is literally fucked up because the patience has run out. People will run anything that works, even if barely. You know that something "[w]hich has given us nothing but disc ticket piracy." is exactly what the vast majority of people want.

Stop babysitting users. If they do stupid things without the research, they get the brick. Not you.

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The entire issue is that people are releasing this code without permission, without warnings, and acting like it's not unsafe, unstable, or useless. This is not elitism. This is safety and good practice.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Did you not read a word of what I said? I'm fine with open development. I'm not fine with people leaking unfinished crap onto GBAtemp where people are running it without giving a word of thought to the repercussions.

Fair enough, but I have yet to see anything released without imminent doom warnings posted along with it. In fact, it's why I didn't go messing around with any of it. I don't recall anybody posting that they bricked their wii u because they went ahead and tried this after being warned not to. Therfore, I feel like the point is moot. If somebody takes it upon themselves to use this after being warned, it's on them. It's not like they're going to die or something anways. We're just talking about a bricked console. Worse things in life can happen. Even smea bricked his wii u and lived to tell about it. The scene won't have any success if risks aren't taken and everything is kept private. Hindering progress might even be part of why it's taken so long. Who know's how much faster we would have results, if more people were allowed to work on it. That's all I'm saying.

I will say that it's a dick move to leak stuff you were entrusted with not to leak, but even you admitted it was publicly worked on, so I can't see any harm in that.

Again, if somebody who doesn't know what they're doing goes and messes with this stuff and bricks their console, after being warned, it's their own fault.

Hand picking the people who are allowed to work on this and have access to it is where the elitist attitude comes into play. The only acceptable reason anybody should be hand picked is for reasons of discrepancy.

Last edited by Bobbybangin,

Suiginou

(null)
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
"this reminds me of the time when memchunkhax2 was first being made. the code wasn't even finished and as soon as they got access to the installer module everyone forked the fuck out of it and released it, which led to shit like 100% brickrate on N3DS, franken-firmwares because of no NATIVE_FIRM downgrade, etc.
because people couldn't be arsed to wait for the full polished code to be finished."
This is what nobody wants.
This is not your responsibility and not your problem. By having this "when it's ready" mentality, you condition users to run everything they see even more than they already have been conditioned. Additionally, if people just take random code and run it, that's on them. They're the sacrificial pigs for everyone who's intelligent enough to not do exactly that.

Instead, we have two or maybe more people developing the same shit in parallel precisely because of that. Wiiubru and SALT are literally making the exact same shit because the former doesn't have/doesn't want access to the latter.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
instead of using barely working hackjobs.

Barely working hackjobs or not its nice to see people making an effort at least as so much of this scene is full of epeen waving and sooning that its beyond ridiculous. If you've cracked something and don't intend to share it then keep it to yourself and keep it moving as there is nothing to see there.

That said the majority of folks frequenting boards such as this also have attitudes of entitlement so it is what it is with unabated douchery on both sides...

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're not developing the same thing at all. SALT isn't using iosuhax, an old, hacked together implementation designed for smea himself, not everybody. SALT is working on actually usable and decent tools for this, and is writing their own code, instead of using barely working hackjobs.

In that case, I fail to see how this is affecting their work whatsoever. It will be released if/when it's released. If what's been released is not the same thing as they're working on and I understand it's not, then it's much ado about nothing. Let the players play. I for one am impressed with the progress that's being made on separate works and think it only goes to show how quickly something can be accomplished when people are allowed to work on it together, publicly.

People act like sheep, because they're treated like sheep and they fall in line to get what they want.

Last edited by Bobbybangin,

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now that the pirates can get their fix i don't see why waiting is a problem.

we all wanted "free" games and we got it. now its going to expand due to being able to pull tiks. a custom firmware is just icing on the cake.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now that the pirates can get their fix i don't see why waiting is a problem.

we all wanted "free" games and we got it. now its going to expand due to being able to pull tiks. a custom firmware is just icing on the cake.
People can't wait because some people want region free patches, install able romhacks, pirated dlc, and/or homebrew on their homemenu.

Reactions: FlappyFalco

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When Sans said this isn't ready for the public, he isn't kidding.
Say you want to be *that guy* that tried 17 dumps until it worked. Awesome, right?
Not quite. Currently, there is no sigpatches (or at least not working), so it won't let you install homebrew on the home menu, or let you install unsigned apps/games.
It's still going to act as if you were not using redNAND.

I really wouldn't recommend touching this until it's officially released.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I am loyal, I can still wait for @WulfyStylez and the rest of Team SALT's work patiently.
I know they'll deliver an awesome release. :)
Besides it's not like I'm desperate to get iosuhax unlike the rest of the Temp...

I'll wait. :)
Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: VinsCool

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks OP! great post. My comments:

-It's great SALt is working on something polished and nonshady.
-It's great that people are working with the ISOUhax stuff. even if it's rougher, shadier, and unpolished.
-Releasing someone's code without their permission is a bit shady, especially if they don't feel its ready.
-Open+closed seems to work fine, even if there is confusion. But closing an entire system just to stave off n00bs? that's shady too.
-ISOUhax is a fun learning experience, but great big warning letters are there for n00bs (like me).

I'll be waiting for stability, or at least a process that makes it worth it to me as far as risk to reward ratio. I have loads of physical games, so I'm in no rush. I'm just excited about the future.

Reactions: kingraa777

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Still going to get "Billy Bob" morons who won't listen to the OP and expect help when if it goes tits up. I'll perfectly wait until a more proper useful and stable method is released and the same goes for that Brazilian nonsense posted up too,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://mcbroken.com/ 50/50