Hardware a big problem with the switch

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bet there will be soon new Switch batteries. Like Wii U did.
also, batteries doesn't die too fast, my gba sp still charges, and has the same battery when I brought it a long time ago, and still works great.
yep my gba sp still lasts like 12 hours with backlight on but it is a 001

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i personally dont remember but i read an article about it
Curious. I wonder if it's just because it has unusual dimensions or they actually bothered to ensure it was an official battery. Something to check out later.

Here are the specs of the battery, in case anyone needs it:

Battery model: CS-NTS001SL
Capacity: 3600mAh/ 13.32Wh
Volts: 3.7V
Warrantly: 12 Months

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what about replacing the batteries in the joycons...
I would say it's easier to swap joycon battery. Even fewer screws to get to it.
they would have to be the official battery because the console wont boot unless its the official part
I doubt that. Last I checked there are only two cables running to the battery, and there is no way to detect battery authenticity like that from what I know.

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say it's easier to swap joycon battery. Even fewer screws to get to it. I doubt that. Last I checked there are only two cables running to the battery, and there is no way to detect battery authenticity like that from what I know.
iyAvhbL.png
Looks like there's actually FIVE wires running from the battery, with a suspicious grey wire in the middle? Not sure if anyone has looked into this yet.

Last edited by sup3rgh0st, , Reason: Moved huge pic to spoilers

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Once you remove 6 screws the switch back just lifts off. A few more and the metal shield comes off too. Then it's just a bit of glue holding it in with a connector that unplugs from the mobo
++-That's good to know. Thought about doing a shell replacement when 3rd party batteries with higher mAh show up on the market and my OEM battery goes to shit.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And also you have to take into account battery technology has improved a bit since then.
...source? Lithium ion technology hasn't advanced for shit in the last 20 years. Companies are desperately looking for alternative means than these exploding timebombs. My PSP slim's two batteries have gased up and expanded already.

Nintendo batteries seem to last longer but I wouldn't say they've "advanced".

Reactions: invaderyoyo

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
you can't replace the battery like the 3ds so when it goes bad and won't charge anymore you have to send it all the way to nintedo or get a new console.
I got annoyed when they started putting battery compartments behind screws, which doesnt allow for quick swaps. Today all this is done for maximum profitability. All tablets I know of don't allow for user-replaceable batteries easy enough for grandma to replace, let alone cheap batteries no more than 20% of new unit cost. Let alone easy batteries to source locally.

Vita....same story. Which is a major reason why I feel less sad that it was basically abandoned. I hate designed-
for-disposal
design choices.

By taking battery replacement out of the average customer's hands, profitability is increased. People either buy a new gadget or replace the battery at an exorbitant price...a price high because availability and thirdparty competition has been reduced, and battery replacement has been tied into a 'service' issue that scares and scams most average users.

That said, there is still choice in the phone market to get a phone with a tool-not-required removable battery. Thankfully.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up