Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
Odd, I thought most other countries will have faster connections. Is this about balance or neutrality?It's about money. The ISPs we deal with get their internet from backbones (big companies you've probably never heard of like level-3 and cogent), and ISPs that give their customers less pay for less, so they get more profits.

QUOTE(omarroms @ Dec 11 2010, 09:21 PM)
The speed is never what they advertise.
Fiber-optic?

ayakosama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Comcast is a rank POS. My brother pays for less Mb, but his speed test is faster than mine. Stupid shared connection. I want the speed I pay for.

Hax Mega

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1067231242.png

I pay $55 a month for that...

DsHacker14

Trophies
Website
www.arschacks.com
XP
Country
United States

I'm at school. My house internet is shitty as hell... max is 190kbps upload, 40kbps upload... >_> I can still do stuff with it but it frustrates me. But I guess it doesnt matter since I'm using my neighbors for now. :3

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm happy with my new ISP.......I just went from 3 Mbps DSL (approx. 315KB per sec down) to over 20Mbps (Approx. 3 MB per sec down) on cable modem. Upload still kinda blows though.....DSL was like 54KB per sec. Cable is only like 91 KB per sec. So I'm like 10 times faster downloading now than I was before. I'm happy with it. Uploading doesn't matter to me much, as long as it does it when I need it to. We are supposed to be on the fastest speed we can get without going to business class. I don't know about that though.

To be honest, I wasn't bothered with only 300+ KB per second DL's, we had it that way for many years, but faster is always better. The only reason we dumped DSL (and all landline phones too, BTW) is because they said we couldn't get DSL here. I think that is a lie because I see many AT+T wireless signals on our laptop (all locked, of course), but WE can't get DSL? Right.....
unsure.gif

One main difference I've noticed between DSL and cable modem is that DSL's response time is MUCH faster than cable. Speeds were also more stable on DSL. Cable modem bandwidth floats all over the place. One minute I'm peaking out at over 22 Mbps, the next it's down to like 7 Mbps. On DSL, I'd click on something and it went immediately and always at consistent speeds, but cable modem will sit there and think about it for a second or two before going, but then BAM! the page is instantly up. I guess that's the trade-off.....speed for response time. At least that's what I'm noticing anyway.

We went from AT+T DSL to Time Warner (Roadrunner) cable modem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is sad. His 2 movies were good. Informative about our food industry.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    This was one of the craziest movies I've seen about our food industry, lots of stuff I didn't know. A must see. https://youtu.be/OqzjC-ENrl8?si=GYxmdY5nShzGniVi
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Oh, that dude?
    I stopped believing or caring about that dude when I found out about some of the more questionable nonsense he did in his life.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like what? I didn't know or hear.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You mean like every famous person that ever existed
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get so tired of hearing oh I liked him until...
    I just know dude was a chronic alcoholic and such.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been to his chicken restaurant he started in his 2nd movie, Holy Chicken, was pretty good. It is only 15-20 miles from me in Ohio. It only lasted 1 yr or so then closed tho.
    There are very few people I just have just an immense dislike of and he's one of those very few people, the only other example is Gene Simmons. My musician uncle on my mother's side of the family actually met Gene once during some event and said he was the most unpleasant person to be around.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I met myself once turns out that guy is a giant piece of shit that doesn't deserve any of my respect
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn alcoholics! (Sshhh- Opens another beer)
    Agreed, Ken
    I can't say I've ever tried even a sip of beer tbh-
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You met yourself also and is a giant piece of shit?
    +1
    Then again, I don't think I'd really enjoy it //shrug
    I'm sure it's an acquired taste :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Poor lad can never enjoy the amazing taste of four loko
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Root beer is a gateway drink, don't ever try it either.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, don't you love how smooth MD20 is
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Mad dog 20 20? Oh yea fixed the typo. I haven't seen that or had forever. Do they still make it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think it's why I'm alive
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What happens if when playing Paper Mario, you start a fire in-game?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/vja8uoOy5XE?si=d2qo7jYK9TiyaOZ2 +1