Hacking Question 5.1.0 OG here. Should i update my System Software or change any apps?

Roxasorg13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello! i have CFW on my switch. Right now i use ReiNX, i have version 5.1.0 and i everything is allright so far, thats why im still in this version.
Im going on a trip and i wanted to install some NSPs (namelly FFVII, some game updates,etc.) and im having trouble installing them, i assume its because of my System version. Or could it be related to the tinfoil version im using?

Anyway, i also saw that you can install custom themes and some are super cool but are for superior versions.

So to cut to the chase, which System OS/CFW/SD files/NSP Installer/Other software could you recommend me the most?

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! i have CFW on my switch. Right now i use ReiNX, i have version 5.1.0 and i everything is allright so far, thats why im still in this version.
Im going on a trip and i wanted to install some NSPs (namelly FFVII, some game updates,etc.) and im having trouble installing them, i assume its because of my System version. Or could it be related to the tinfoil version im using?

Anyway, i also saw that you can install custom themes and some are super cool but are for superior versions.

So to cut to the chase, which System OS/CFW/SD files/NSP Installer/Other software could you recommend me the most?

FFVII requires 6.2. Almost all new major titles will not run on 5.x. Update to 6.2 using Choi (unsure what the status is for 7.x on ReiNX)

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made the jump from ReiNX sysnand 5.1.0 to KOSMOS sysnand 7.0.1 . I of couse did a fuseless update so I could downgrade if I wanted to. I am very happy with the change. custom themes everything works great.

Reactions: Roxasorg13

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update to 7.0.1. You can save fuses if you want by using ChoiNX to do it. Or you can just update through the system settings and reinstall AutoRCM after, your choice really. If you want to use ChoiNX to install 7.0.1, you will have to find the 7.0.1 firmware files somewhere. I can't link them here.

Use Atmosphere (https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/At...0.8.6-master-994d7d5+hbl-2.1+hbmenu-3.0.1.zip + Payload https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/download/0.8.6/fusee-primary.bin) + Sig Patches (https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-heard-that-you-guys-need-some-sweet-patches-for-atmosphere.521164/) + Lithium (http://tinfoil.io/repo/lithium.latest.zip) as your NSP installer. Avoid Kosmos, it's a collection of random junk and has incomplete sig patches.

Last edited by blahblah,

Roxasorg13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
FFVII requires 6.2. Almost all new major titles will not run on 5.x. Update to 6.2 using Choi (unsure what the status is for 7.x on ReiNX)
Really? I have most of the recent titles (installed using ignore system firmware in tinfoil) and i havent had any trouble until now lol

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? I have most of the recent titles (installed using ignore system firmware in tinfoil) and i havent had any trouble until now lol

Effectively everything uses MasterKey6 or higher, so ignore firmware alone won't work. You would need to tap another button to have Tinfoil re-crypt the game for your version.

But that wouldn't really matter, because newer games are built against the 6.x or 7.x SDK, which means that your firmware version would never be able to run those titles.

Update to 7.0.1 following the steps in my post. :)

Roxasorg13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I made the jump from ReiNX sysnand 5.1.0 to KOSMOS sysnand 7.0.1 . I of couse did a fuseless update so I could downgrade if I wanted to. I am very happy with the change. custom themes everything works great.
Is it easy to update? tbh its been a while since i did something "major" to my switch and i forgot almost everything hahaha

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Effectively everything uses MasterKey6 or higher, so ignore firmware alone won't work. You would need to tap another button to have Tinfoil re-crypt the game for your version.

But that wouldn't really matter, because newer games are built against the 6.x or 7.x SDK, which means that your firmware version would never be able to run those titles.

Update to 7.0.1 following the steps in my post. :)
Ouch, i guess that means RIP to me unless i update, So you think 6.2 is the way to go? also, which CFW would you recommend?

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it easy to update? tbh its been a while since i did something "major" to my switch and i forgot almost everything hahaha

It's easy. Grab https://files.sshnuke.net/ChoiDujourNXv101.zip and extract to the Switch folder on your SD card, where your homebrew apps are. Grab the 7.0.1 firmware (you can find it somewhere online. Xbins and other places) and extract it to mSD. Select the firmware in Choi and let it install. If your SD card is formatted as exFAT, be sure to select 7.0.1 (exFAT) when you are prompted.

That'll get you updated. Then follow the rest of the steps in my post to get current CFW.

Ouch, i guess that means RIP to me unless i update, So you think 6.2 is the way to go? also, which CFW would you recommend?

6.2 is so not the way to go. Go to 7.0.1.

For CFW:

Use Atmosphere (https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/At...0.8.6-master-994d7d5+hbl-2.1+hbmenu-3.0.1.zip + Payload https://github.com/Atmosphere-NX/Atmosphere/releases/download/0.8.6/fusee-primary.bin) + Sig Patches (https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-heard-that-you-guys-need-some-sweet-patches-for-atmosphere.521164/) + Lithium (http://tinfoil.io/repo/lithium.latest.zip) as your NSP installer. Avoid Kosmos, it's a collection of random junk and has incomplete sig patches.

Just raw Atmosphere plus sig patches.

Roxasorg13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Update to 7.0.1. You can save fuses if you want by using ChoiNX to do it. Or you can just update through the system settings and reinstall AutoRCM after, your choice really. If you want to use ChoiNX to install 7.0.1, you will have to find the 7.0.1 firmware files somewhere. I can't link them here.

Oh thanks a lot for taking the time to post all the links mate, very apreciated. i dont use AutoRCM because i was paranoid (i dont even remember why, it was so long ago lol) and i preffered to use manual RCM, do you recommend AutoRCM?

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh thanks a lot for taking the time to post all the links mate, very apreciated. i dont use AutoRCM because i was paranoid (i dont even remember why, it was so long ago lol) and i preffered to use manual RCM, do you recommend AutoRCM?

Np! I like AutoRCM because I find inserting a jig every boot to be annoying, but you don't have to use AutoRCM if you don't like it.

If your Switch is already banned, you can just update using the official Settings app. You don't have to use Choi if you don't want to.

Roxasorg13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Np! I like AutoRCM because I find inserting a jig every boot to be annoying, but you don't have to use AutoRCM if you don't like it.

If your Switch is already banned, you can just update using the official Settings app. You don't have to use Choi if you don't want to.
Can you remember any downside of using AutoRCM? i swear to god i dont remember why i didnt want to do it, i could be wrong but i think i didnt do it because it took a LOT OF TIME to turn on a switch after it was completely discharged.

I could be mistaken but i think my switch is unbanned (i made a backup before hacking it and inmediatly turned on airplane mode, it has been like that since i hacked it, even if the airplane turned off by accident i moved to another house so i think there is no way i could be banned lol)

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you remember any downside of using AutoRCM? i swear to god i dont remember why i didnt want to do it, i could be wrong but i think i didnt do it because it took a LOT OF TIME to turn on a switch after it was completely discharged.

I could be mistaken but i think my switch is unbanned (i made a backup before hacking it and inmediatly turned on airplane mode, it has been like that since i hacked it, even if the airplane turned off by accident i moved to another house so i think there is no way i could be banned lol)

There are no other downsides. People said that if your battery dies, you will not be able to charge the Switch. But that's not actually true, the Switch charges while in AutoRCM just fine.

Okay. You can update via the official way or via ChoiNX, whichever you prefer.

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm sure there are some out there. Why I said *new major titles*. The Marios, the Yoshis and other triple-A ports. GRIS was the first game that wouldn't run on 5.1 for me even with ignore FW, which is why I updated. And that came out months ago.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure there are some out there. Why I said *new major titles*. The Marios, the Yoshis and other triple-A ports. GRIS was the first game that wouldn't run on 5.1 for me even with ignore FW, which is why I updated. And that came out months ago.

No one cares about your definition of a major title. Recent updates for Smash are MasterKey6. Mind you, that can be fixed, you can convert to Standard Crypto, but what's the point. Just update.

stephrk398

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one cares about your definition of a major title. Recent updates for Smash are MasterKey6. Mind you, that can be fixed, you can convert to Standard Crypto, but what's the point. Just update.

Way to inject yourself into a conversation that doesn't concern you. No one cares that you don't care about my definition of a major title. ;)

Reactions: codyjo

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to find firmware think of the classic bad guy use the name minus the Vader and the item you need. hope thats not to much info for the rules and hope he can figure that one out. use ChoiNX . there is a easy video on youtube that shows you how to update firmware with it so you don't burn fuses. I have had no problem with KODMOS. just copy the package to your SD card and use the new payload.bin and your good to go. ChoiNX with turn on AUTORCM for you so you cant go into OFW. or do what BLAHBLAH said. I have no problem with sig patches tho.. I am pretty sure thats not a thing anymore and you can choice what you want in the KOSMOS package.. just google switch KOSMOS

edit-- Some updates need 7.0.1 and some games . more to come so may as well go with the Newest. if you update with ChoiNX you can go back down if you find the need to.

Last edited by Undwiz,
Reactions: 6adget

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to find firmware think of the classic bad guy use the name minus the Vader and the item you need. hope thats not to much info for the rules and hope he can figure that one out. use ChoiNX . there is a easy video on youtube that shows you how to update firmware with it so you don't burn fuses. I have had no problem with KODMOS. just copy the package to your SD card and use the new payload.bin and your good to go. ChoiNX with turn on AUTORCM for you so you can go into OFW. or do what BLAHBLAH said. I have no problem with sig patches tho.. I am pretty sure thats not a thing anymore and you can choice what you want in the KOSMOS package.. just google switch KOSMOS

edit-- Some updates need 7.0.1 and some games . more to come so may as well go with the Newest. if you update with ChoiNX you can go back down if you find the need to.

Kosmos is missing FS sig patches, which are used to boot games converted from XCI. Kosmos only includes ES patches, which are used to boot eShop games. They rely on Hekate to apply the FS patch, but current Hekate does not do that reliably.

Kosmos is Hekate plus a bunch of random junk that is not needed. Just using real Atmosphere means that you can easily update to newer CFW versions as they are released, without waiting for the Kosmos folks to repack everything.

Last edited by blahblah,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system