Not open for further replies.

Cooler3D

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
The title say 5x performance per watt

Up to x5. Which I can quite confirm. Such scenarios do exist. Lot of them.

Try running Zelda BotW at 60FPS in the Korok Forest on the OC Suite at 720p. And then reduce the resolution until the frame rate becomes stable. Then count the number of pixels in 720p, and the resolution you settled on. Compare these values. Got a difference? And now compare the power consumption of the OC Suite, with which you managed to achieve a stable frame rate with great difficulty, with 10 watts of which 4IFIR was enough.

That's ~5 times superiority per watt. If anyone thinks that this is the only example, and not the most fair due to double buffering, try any other high-load game like The Witcher 3. Compare 720p/60 on 4IFIR with OC Suite at similar frequencies, but with completely insane power consumption can be obtained from the OC Suite. On 4IFIR, most of the time you will see 60 frames at native resolution. In the same locations on the OC Suite, you will have to reduce the resolution until the picture turns into a soapy mess. Multiplies the difference here, and by power consumption, we get ~5.

More performance and energy efficiency at the same time.

If someone thinks that for DOOM Eternal at 40 frames, and 60 frames, only x1.5 difference in performance is needed from Switch, then you will be very surprised when even x3 is not enough to overcome the threshold of 50 frames without 4IFIR.

Many have seen and know all this, and are happy to use it, the rest are waiting for a startling discovery. A free gift with an impossible, gimmick-like promise. A miracle gift for you, in which I have invested time and professional skills.

No, this does not mean that there will be such a phenomenal superiority at all frequencies and in all games. No, this does not mean that games limited by vertical synchronization without editing modifications will be able to play at 60 frames. No, just a cheat to unlock the frame rate is not always enough. No, on ERISTA, the results are not so discouraging.

But they are still worthy, and 4IFIR is constantly developing and improving performance, this will continue until I get bored, and I do not lose my enthusiasm.

I do not get any enthusiasm from toxic stuffing, in an attempt to cancel the project, sabotage, slander. None of the attackers on the project even tried 4IFIR, they don’t give a damn about it, they want to deprive of the possibility of overclocking you personally, leaving you alone with SysCLK from HBStore, which still do not updated for HOS16.

Canceled Cooler3D > Canceled 4IFIR & OC Suite > Canceled overclocking on the Switch with all the goodies that give a free performance boost per watt.
Perhaps someone else will continue my work. I wouldn't count on it if I were you. If "you know who" manages to cancel even me as well, I doubt that the less stressed developers will be patient enough to do such job for you with enthusiasm.

Not entirely related to 4IFIR but related to overclocking so why not.

Well, thank God, finally, you do not claim that this is how it should be, and it is not capable of working in any other way, even in theory!

Congratulations, I'm not ignoring you anymore. You can ask any questions, for example:

Why has no one but you been able to maintain performance by lowering the voltage on the Switch components? How exactly did you do it?

And I will explain. As long as you are not trying to prove something to me, in the subject area, which is my professional area of competence, in which I surpass you (and all the developers of the "generic switch discord community") by orders of magnitude, and politely ask me questions, I answer them with pleasure.

CPU regulators can support about 2.295ghz before hitting their limits on Erista.
This statement is wrong. In one of the following updates, anyone will be able to verify this.
I can even now explain how I did it. There is no magic in this, only science and a fairly deep understanding of the entire pipeline, from the battery to the frame drawn on the display.

Last edited by Cooler3D,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If someone thinks that for DOOM Eternal at 40 frames, and 60 frames, only x1.5 difference in performance is needed from Switch, then you will be very surprised when even x3 is not enough to overcome the threshold of 50 frames without 4IFIR.
A jump from 40 to 60 FPS at the same resolution is a 50% increase in performance. How you got to that point is kind of irrelevant - it’s entirely possible that you had to triple the clocks to get that result, but the increase in performance is 50% because your measurement is FPS. If you want to measure an increase in performance per watt, you must create the same environment on both test systems (same resolution and framerate) and compare power consumption, ideally externally because internal sensors aren’t always trustworthy. A Kill-o-Watt is great to measure power draw off the wall socket, but it won’t help you measure power consumption of a battery powered system due to the C rating of the battery. It’s not a water bottle, it doesn’t get “refilled” with an equivalent amount of energy, there’s energy waste along the way. If you want to measure consumption, you must necessarily measure it on the terminals of the system with a meter. Your other testing methods also seem odd for what you’re trying to test, but at the very least you’re disclosing them now. That’s not how I’d measure any of this, but it’s also not my software and not my claims.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CPU regulators can support about 2.295ghz before hitting their limits on Erista.
Remember, that's their limits but its a similar situation to the board limit, which yes you can bypass it, but is it ideal? No
Even then, the difference on Erista goes 1.8 -> 1.9 0.5ish Amps, 1.9 -> 2.0 1A, and it just curves up from there exponentially. (Regulators on Erista for C/GPU are both 15A, unlike Mariko's 5A for CPU and 10A for GPU)
Even then by that point cpu is drawing so much power that anything would push it over the 18W power limit, which at this point be my guest if you really want to kill your Erista that badly.
Post automatically merged:

Well, thank God, finally, you do not claim that this is how it should be, and it is not capable of working in any other way, even in theory!
I think everyone kind of expects variations with this, and hell my testing methods aren't exactly as accurate as slice a trace and put a meter in there.
Now the variations aren't going to be as awful as they are on Mariko because of speedo but besides that, different voltages are a thing although I really wouldn't expect anything huge like half the power.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A jump from 40 to 60 FPS at the same resolution is a 50% increase in performance. How you got to that point is kind of irrelevant - it’s entirely possible that you had to triple the clocks to get that result, but the increase in performance is 50% because your measurement is FPS. If you want to measure an increase in performance per watt, you must create the same environment on both test systems (same resolution and framerate) and compare power consumption, ideally externally because internal sensors aren’t always trustworthy. A Kill-o-Watt is great to measure power draw off the wall socket, but it won’t help you measure power consumption of a battery powered system due to the C rating of the battery. It’s not a water bottle, it doesn’t get “refilled” with an equivalent amount of energy, there’s energy waste along the way. If you want to measure consumption, you must necessarily measure it on the terminals of the system with a meter. Your other testing methods also seem odd for what you’re trying to test, but at the very least you’re disclosing them now. That’s not how I’d measure any of this, but it’s also not my software and not my claims.
I might be wrong buuut think in this part about doom he is still writing about power draw not only fps performance so he probably has in mind his "performance per watt up to" (and also the quality of the image?). I have no idea what is the power draw in no Oc scenario there and we probably can't even archive it in the same quality of graphics without oc or with oc suit because it is not rolling that high/well.
Now we know his methodology(even if is not 100% accurate) and this marketing of his is nothing new plus it is a free mod so why pay so much attention to it?:ph34r:
Do we really want and care about him to write something like "extra" instead of "5x" in the title because it is not tested in the lab?

Reactions: Venomzver

Venomzver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has to be a cooler alt account lol
145 million people live in Russia + about 150 million more Russian speakers. Do you really think the cooler is the only one in the world? I'm here recently, but how here I have not seen this conspiratorial garbage anywhere.
Post automatically merged:

Now we know his methodology(even if is not 100% accurate) and this marketing of his is nothing new plus it is a free mod so why pay so much attention to it?:ph34r:
Do we really want and care about him to write something like "extra" instead of "5x" in the title because it is not tested in the lab?

I am also trying to explain

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I might be wrong buuut think in this part about doom he is still writing about power draw not only fps performance so he probably has in mind his "performance per watt up to" (and also the quality of the image?). I have no idea what is the power draw in no Oc scenario there and we probably can't even archive it in the same quality of graphics without oc or with oc suit because it is not rolling that high/well.
You have to decide what you’re measuring, you can’t just add up very different results like this. If he’s measuring both at the same time, the correct way to phrase it is that he recorded X% higher performance at Y% lower power consumption. To make it a car analogy (again, since that’s popular for some reason), you can say that your modification increased your top speed by X miles per hour and reduced fuel consumption by Y miles per gallon. You can’t just add those figures to get a third figure - you’re talking about miles, sure, but one’s per hour and one’s per gallon. They’re different measurements. Even if you’re planning to do that, you still have to measure it on the same stretch of road - a mile.

nickseta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Ha-ha, many people are hooked on finding out energy efficiency, while ignoring the simple and main question: what kind of switch APU overclocking systems are currently "on the market" and work on the current firmware. And the second question stemming from the first question: which of these overclocking systems is better? Better means they give more FPS and do not overheat my console. Nothing else matters to me as a user.

Reactions: averagefisherman

Cooler3D

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
A jump from 40 to 60 FPS at the same resolution is a 20% increase in performance. How you got to that point is kind of irrelevant - it’s entirely possible that you had to triple the clocks to get that result, but the increase in performance is 20% because your measurement is FPS. If you want to measure an increase in performance per watt, you must create the same environment on both test systems (same resolution and framerate) and compare power consumption, ideally externally because internal sensors aren’t always trustworthy. A Kill-o-Watt is great to measure power draw off the wall socket, but it won’t help you measure power consumption of the battery powered system due to the C rating of the battery. It’s not a water bottle, it doesn’t get “refilled” with an equivalent amount of energy, there’s energy waste along the way. If you want to measure consumption, you must necessarily measure it on the terminals of the system with a meter. Your other testing methods also seem odd for what you’re trying to test, but at the very least you’re disclosing them now. That’s not how I’d measure any of this, but it’s also not my software and not my claims.

Given the facts that:

The project has reached 2 million non-unique downloads in the regional segments alone in a year of existence (this was back in January), and the dynamics is only growing.

The proportion of Russian-speaking users among Nintendo Switch owners is ridiculously small (if I'm not mistaken, less than 1% of all).

But on the Russian-language forum alone, last year the discussion of 4IFIR took ~500 thread pages with 20 posts each (20 is standard for forums, including the GBA). Almost all reviews are positive, at worst (very rarely) neutral.

In the Russian-language Telegram of 4IFIR alone, since January, a discussion of 4IFIR has generated more messages (there is no spam, flooding, almost no offtopic) than the two largest English-language discord communities dedicated to Switch - combined generated in 2022.

In the development diary alone, since the new year, 390 of my posts have been added, most of which are walls of not meaningless text, and the rest are various tests and comparisons, technical details and facts.

We can say for sure:

4IFIR is at least not a scam.
4IFIR is at least a live, developing project that not only attracts, but also retains the audience.
I hope these two facts are obvious enough to be beyond doubt.

Given the facts that:

In the reliability of all the examples from the previous post (x5), anyone who wishes for the third month (when it was possible to achieve another significant improvement in indicators in 4IFIR 1.3) has the opportunity to see for himself, and the results themselves are witnessed, and reproduced many times (by users in the same telegram).

It naturally follows from this that I, like no one else on the Switch scene, succeeded in this direction. And noticeably so breaking away from other developers who set themselves a similar goal.

Even the hard haters of the project have no complaints about the reliability of the recorded indicators, instead claiming "4IFIR will kill your consoles" (despite zero cases all the time).

It would be fair to say that the question is not whether the claimed indicators can be real, but why they are possible at all. I understand the skepticism. It seems obvious that there is some trick to this. Error. Inaccuracy. There must be a logical explanation. And I have it. It's just not obvious.

Although there will be many more opportunities to demonstrate the reality of the above, in tests with strict methodology, I can not make this intrigue, but simply explain to you why this is possible. I have not done this until now, only because you are absolutely sure that the declared characteristics are fundamentally unattainable. If you are curious to know why and how I managed to achieve these results, I will be very pleased to explain technically how it works, and what circumstances played into my hands when implementing my plan.

You wouldn't have read this far if you weren't curious to know for sure what the catch is. If this is the case, and you are even a little interested in getting a convincing explanation, just give me know, I will explain everything.

Reactions: nickseta

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You have to decide what you’re measuring, you can’t just add up very different results like this. If he’s measuring both at the same time, the correct way to phrase it is that he recorded X% higher performance at Y% lower power consumption. To make it a car analogy (again, since that’s popular for some reason), you can say that your modification increased your top speed by X miles per hour and reduced fuel consumption by Y miles per gallon. You can’t just add those figures to get a third figure - you’re talking about miles, sure, but one’s per hour and one’s per gallon. They’re different measurements.
Ofc he can, it is crazy... why not :D
But I think he is not doing that, this fps was an example (i might be wrong and i might write it not exactly clearly over there) Think that fps was an example of an fps boost possible because of 3 times better/lower power draw efficiency. ;)
So if you only get 1,5 better performance per watt you will not archive 60fps you need 3x better performance per watt to get it.
(how he is messuring power draw? idk, idc.)

Again i might be wrong here : D am i @Cooler3D ?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
*Things you’ve already written before*
I’m not calling your app a scam and I’m quite confident that it does what it says on the tin - allows you to overclock the Switch. What I am saying is that the way you’re presenting your results is the reason why you’re getting criticised. Now that you’ve disclosed how you reach those high figures I understand why. I wouldn’t have presented them this way, and I’ve explained to you why. You can carry on presenting it in your own odd way, but that’s not how anyone else would calculate it or phrase it in any other context. People are giving you a hard time (often rightfully so) specifically because you don’t take this kind of criticism on-board, and you should. You’re not going to tell me with a straight face that you’ve “increased the power efficiency by 5x in some contexts” because you haven’t - that’d mean that, *all else being equal*, your solution makes the Switch draw 3W when at stock it’d draw 15W. That’s not happening. It’s not “skepticism”, your standard of measurement is just weird. It might not seem like it, but I’m trying to do you a favour by explaining this to you. You don’t have to listen to me, I’m not your dad, but the figures you’re posting (and sticking by) are outrageous.

Cooler3D

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I’m not calling your app a scam and I’m quite confident that it does what it says on the tin - allows you to overclock the Switch. What I am saying is that the way you’re presenting your results is the reason why you’re getting criticised. Now that you’ve disclosed how you reach those high figures I understand why. I wouldn’t have presented them this way, and I’ve explained to you why. You can carry on presenting it in your own odd way, but that’s not how anyone else would calculate it or phrase it in any other context. People are giving you a hard time (often rightfully so) specifically because you don’t take this kind of criticism on-board, and you should. You’re not going to tell me with a straight face that you’ve “increased the power efficiency by 5x in some contexts” because you haven’t - that’d mean that, all else being equal, your solution makes the Switch draw 3W when at stock you’d draw 15W, all else being equal. That’s not happening. It’s not “skepticism”, your standard of measurement is just weird. It might not seem like it, but I’m trying to do you a favour by explaining this to you.

Sorry for wasting your time. I misunderstood you, and made erroneous conclusions about what you are interested in - how I managed to make real what was previously considered impossible, and fundamentally unattainable without the help of 4IFIR.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorry for wasting your time. I misunderstood you, and made erroneous conclusions about what you are interested in - how I managed to make real what was previously considered impossible, and fundamentally unattainable without the help of 4IFIR.
That very well may be the case. I’m just telling you how to measure the impact of your work without coming across as a snake oil salesman. You can take that on board or not, it’s really no skin off my back, but it would give people a more realistic look at what can and can’t be achieved with the help of your package.

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You’re certainly presenting your results better in that post, yes. You make a specific claim - you specify the game, the target framerate and a specific power draw. That lets any random person on the Internet pick up the same game, select the same settings, play the same stretch you’ve played and validate the result. Saying that performance has increased x5 thanks to voodoo math, as is being done in this thread, is not the way to do it.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I’m not calling your app a scam and I’m quite confident that it does what it says on the tin - allows you to overclock the Switch. What I am saying is that the way you’re presenting your results is the reason why you’re getting criticised. Now that you’ve disclosed how you reach those high figures I understand why. I wouldn’t have presented them this way, and I’ve explained to you why. You can carry on presenting it in your own odd way, but that’s not how anyone else would calculate it or phrase it in any other context. People are giving you a hard time (often rightfully so) specifically because you don’t take this kind of criticism on-board, and you should. You’re not going to tell me with a straight face that you’ve “increased the power efficiency by 5x in some contexts” because you haven’t - that’d mean that, *all else being equal*, your solution makes the Switch draw 3W when at stock it’d draw 15W. That’s not happening. It’s not “skepticism”, your standard of measurement is just weird. It might not seem like it, but I’m trying to do you a favour by explaining this to you. You don’t have to listen to me, I’m not your dad, but the figures you’re posting (and sticking by) are outrageous.
I mean this is not about under voltage a s** lode of staff to free some power so his oc can archive better oc results for longer?
It doesn't mean that his oc switch will run at 3w when stock runs at 15w it means that it can maintain around the same power draw as stock with a lot better efficiency/performance/bigger clocks and that allows you to run games in more fps and maintain a better quality of graphics.
Idk what is his math but it was a "spike"(in some games/places) performance here while there he presents some long runs. Don't think this selected moments/spikes performance of his need to be a lie :D Still, don't care about it if it works and it is free.

Plus i don't get why ppl are mad about this xD nobody forces anyone to use this and nobody forces anyone to pay for it if someone wants to use it... :toot:

Cooler3D

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
You’re certainly presenting your results better in that post, yes. You make a specific claim - you specify the game, the target framerate and a specific power draw. That lets any random person on the Internet pick up the same game, select the same settings, play the same stretch you’ve played and validate the result. Saying that performance has increased x5 thanks to voodoo math, as is being done in this thread, is not the way to do it.

I understood you. I took note of your words, and will keep it in mind. Once again, sorry for distracting you, and thank you for help and patience.

So, I will concentrating on the release of the update, timed to coincide with the restart of the project on the GBA.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I understood you. I took note of your words, and will keep it in mind. Once again, sorry for distracting you, and thank you for help and patience.

So, I will concentrating on the release of the update, timed to coincide with the restart of the project on the GBA.
Glad to hear it. Good luck with the project, hopefully it goes well for you. All the best!

Bricked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I assume you'll be making the modified source code of the projects you use readily and clearly available for this restart?

No riddles or marketing please, a yes or no answer will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol so true