ROM Hack 3DS SNES VC Inject Question for ROM Hacks

Zamzummin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, I have a question of VC inject of SNES ROMs on a New 3DS/2DS. Does VC inject work with ROM hacks? In particular I am looking to play Final Fantasy VI T-Edition, which is a well known Japanese ROM hack of FFVI that recently was translated into English. This is an extensive ROM hack that doubles the size of the ROM from 3 MB to 6 MB and includes hundreds of new music tracks among various other changes. Currently I'm playing this on my o3DS XL using the SNES9x emulator so I can't test it using the n3DS's SNES native emulator.

It runs ok on SNES9x but with a few annoying performance issues. The most notable issue is that all dialogue boxes slow the frame rate from 60 fps down to 30 fps. You can fix this by entering and backing out of your in-game menu, then dialogue boxes run at a full 60 fps. This resets every time you go to a new area and it's annoying to always have to go into the menu every time I go to a new area, and some areas start with an immediate cutscene that will run at a choppy 30 fps with 30 frame skip. I don't know if this issue is with the ROM hack itself, the emulator, or a combination of the two. There are other performance issues particularly certain battle animations, but usually ~7 frames are dropped at most.

I am willing to buy a used n3DS/n2DS just to play this ROM hack but I want to know if it will run using VC inject, and if it performs better on the native SNES emulator vs. SNES9x on my o3DS. I know this is asking a lot, but does anyone have experience playing this ROM hack on a n3DS/n2DS or can anyone test it out on their system? The FFVI T-Edition ROM hack in English is easily obtainable online for creating a .cia for testing purposes.

Thanks.

Last edited by Zamzummin,

doicm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I have a question of VC inject of SNES ROMs on a New 3DS/2DS. Does VC inject work with ROM hacks? In particular I am looking to play Final Fantasy VI T-Edition, which is a well known Japanese ROM hack of FFVI that recently was translated into English. This is an extensive ROM hack that doubles the size of the ROM from 3 MB to 6 MB and includes hundreds of new music tracks among various other changes. Currently I'm playing this on my o3DS XL using the SNES9x emulator so I can't test it using the n3DS's SNES native emulator.

It runs ok on SNES9x but with a few annoying performance issues. The most notable issue is that all dialogue boxes slow the frame rate from 60 fps down to 30 fps. You can fix this by entering and backing out of your in-game menu, then dialogue boxes run at a full 60 fps. This resets every time you go to a new area and it's annoying to always have to go into the menu every time I go to a new area, and some areas start with an immediate cutscene that will run at a choppy 30 fps with 30 frame skip. I don't know if this issue is with the ROM hack itself, the emulator, or a combination of the two. There are other performance issues particularly certain battle animations, but usually ~7 frames are dropped at most.

I am willing to buy a used n3DS/n2DS just to play this ROM hack but I want to know if it will run using VC inject, and if it performs better on the native SNES emulator vs. SNES9x on my o3DS. I know this is asking a lot, but does anyone have experience playing this ROM hack on a n3DS/n2DS or can anyone test it out on their system? The FFVI T-Edition ROM hack in English is easily obtainable online for creating a .cia for testing purposes.

Thanks.
I've actually been trying to get FF6 T-Edition to work on my n3DS, but with no luck. I even tried just injecting the original FF6 Japanese version, but it just crashes on a black screen.

I don't know if it's an issue with the injector or what. Both the original and T-Edition work fine in an emulator, but I can't get it to run natively.

Zamzummin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've actually been trying to get FF6 T-Edition to work on my n3DS, but with no luck. I even tried just injecting the original FF6 Japanese version, but it just crashes on a black screen.

I don't know if it's an issue with the injector or what. Both the original and T-Edition work fine in an emulator, but I can't get it to run natively.
Interesting. Thanks for letting me know, you saved me purchasing a n3DS for no reason.

I was able to get over the small performance issues in the SNES9x emulator with FF6 T-Edition and I'm really enjoying it now. I found turning off the FPS counter on the bottom screen helped me ignore the performance issues and just focus on enjoying the game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol