Onii-sama~
Developer
Trophies
Website
reisyukaku.org
XP
Country
United States
PSP was underclocked to 222MHz and ran natively at 333MHz. It was singlecore too.
3DS's MPCORE is dual core @ 268MHz.
Although PSP uses MIPS and 3DS uses ARM. Both are RISC, but im not sure if you can compare them equally.

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
This is sadly a fact. The PSP is simply more powerful than the 3DS. Look at Dragonball Z, Monster Hunter and Yu-Gi-Oh on the PSP, they all look better than their 3DS counterparts.

And the PSP can emulate GBA games perfectly, the 3DS can't.

I don't know much about the hardware, but what I know for sure is that the PSP has a higher resolution.
Okay, why are you judging the 3DS by how good games look!? We all know that's not very accurate! The 3DS is considerably more Powerful the than PSP or PSP Go (3DS has 128MB of RAM and a Dual-Core ARM11 MPCore, & single-core ARM9 CPU's. PSP: 333 MHz MIPSR4000, and 32MB of RAM; The ARM11 CPU usually ran around the 600Mhz+ Range, while the ARM9 CPU was a Bottleneck CPU, around 100-300 Mhz. The ARM9 is mainly used for the OS/FW, while the ARM11 is used for Apps and Games). The reason some games look bad or not as good to the PSP (PSP ran the ROM and/or Kernal in the Background) is due to the OS (FW) running in the Background, nearly consuming 20-30% of the Hardware, leaving only about 100-105MB of RAM. Not much, but if the System used a Kernal for Apps and Games (Like the Wii, DS, DSi, and GC) games would be able to take up all the Hardware, and they won't have to worry about the FW or BIOS or OS not having enough RAM or CPU(Because it's Not Running). So, this post has been busted! Even the PSP ran it's FW in the Background (The DS and DSi Didn't, the DS used a BIOS, while the DSi Used a More Advanced BIOS or ROM)

EDIT:

This Thread needs to be Locked or Removed, it seems that it's 100% Pointless besides how the PSP is using Hardware from 10 Years ago, while the 3DS is using Today's Hardware......Seriously, the PSP is Good, but just stop the Pointless Thread's that just generate Negative or Burn twords you....It's just digging you a hole to a Ban!

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik,

tiduscrying

that butt...
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh jeez another one of these threads... In terms of raw power, the 3DS is indeed more powerful than the PSP. The game worlds have the power to be larger, more can be done while inside a game (such as browsing the web, checking miiverse, etc.) and ROM size is way larger in most cases (iirc there are 3DS games on 8GB cartridges out there). It's more powerful in all those senses because, gee, it is in a whole new generation of handhelds and everything. It doesn't really matter whether or not the PSP's resolution was bigger or whether or not certain games were or weren't optimized to run on the 3DS as opposed to the PSP. The 3DS is as powerful as it is because it is a current-gen gaming platform with a first-party that knows how to make games for it.

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has the 3DS board of GBATemp been so sleepy lately that all it can attract now is trolls? And pitiful ones at that?

Anyone can see the PSP could never run Resident Evil Revelations or Ironfall Invasion without melting in the users hands. And MonHun X runs circles around any MH game on PSP. Not to mention 3DS has a 800x240 screen (3D mode, 400x240 in 2D mode), so that resolution comment is moot.

Others have put forth probable answers as to why GBA isn't running optimally but lets consider the fact that the PSP has had a GBA emulator almost since it first got cracked a decade ago. 3DS's first GBA emulator came out last year in an era where GBAtemp is a barren wasteland as 90% of the skilled hackers here have moved to iOS and android.

Last edited by MyJoyConRunsHot,

MisterPantsEyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Man, this thread is flooded with fanboyism...

No matter what you people say about the resolution, games on 3DS look more pixelated than on PSP. You can't overturn this simple but meaningful fact. About the GBA emulator, some private person managed to make a good full fleged GBA emulator on the PSP, but Nintendo can't do that on their own hardware (and don't say anything about the FW running in background, they could turn ít off like they do with SSB). This is because the 3DS just isn't powerful enough, whereas the PSP is.

Just how do you explain this:
13897423835_b67764e928_o.jpg

gfs_544997_2_6.jpg

The PSP game looks clearly better. The 3DS game uses SPRITES!!!

But sure, continue calling me a troll or try to get me banned because I criticize your favorite company.

Reactions: Deleted User

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States

No matter what you people say about the resolution, games on 3DS look more pixelated than on PSP. You can't overturn this simple but meaningful fact. About the GBA emulator, some private person managed to make a good full fleged GBA emulator on the PSP, but Nintendo can't do that on their own hardware (and don't say anything about the FW running in background, they could turn ít off like they do with SSB). This is because the 3DS just isn't powerful enough, whereas the PSP is.

gfs_544997_2_6.jpg

But sure, continue calling me a troll or try to get me banned because I criticize your favorite company.

WTF! So what if the 3DS Version use's Sprites....Nor am i a 'Fanboy'! The designers chose to use Sprites, NOT 3D MODELS!

The 3DS is more powerful than the PSP....128MB of RAM, 500-600MHZ Duo CPU (ARM)....So, why are you being a Mindless Ass, while i'm Working on 3DS Related Projects and Homebrew. Your just a User trying to get Attention and Clicks (Views); and Don't tell me that the 3DS isn't powerful enough, STOP DAMN JUDGING CONSOLES BY THE GAMES!! I :teach:, :yay3ds:. So stop your Meaningless Crap, and get on with your So Called Life. The PSP Version looks okay, but compared to the Physical Hardware of the 3DS, the PSP doesn't stand a Chance....I had no idea people even still use the PSP :P.

Also, HELLO Earth to Moron, the 3DS and Wii U have Virtual Console, both have GBA and people are Injecting ROMS into them! If Nintendo can do it, there's no Reason why we can't!

Also the FW run's in the Background, regardless of what Game is being played! So your Information is Bull-Shit! You must have Gotten a Degree in Moron Science.

To my Knowledge some 3DS Games use Anti-Aliasing, resulting in better overall Textures....the 3D Models are Rendered with more than 2x the Polygons. Just look at more Games than just DBZ! There's Resident Evil, SSB, and other's that Beat the PSP's Standards to the Ground!

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

gfs_544997_2_6.jpg

Actually, the 3DS version looks better. The environments look better and more detailed on it. So what if the 3DS version use sprites? The models in the PSP version look quite blocky, and those shadows.......

spyro3dsguy and others have already demonstrated how the 3DS is more powerful than the PSP.

Reactions: Dr.Hacknik
D

Deleted-236924

About the GBA emulator, some private person managed to make a good full fleged GBA emulator on the PSP, but Nintendo can't do that on their own hardware (and don't say anything about the FW running in background, they could turn ít off like they do with SSB). This is because the 3DS just isn't powerful enough, whereas the PSP is.
They don't need to because they have actual GBA hardware (AGB_FIRM)
Why emulate when you can run natively?

MisterPantsEyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They don't need to because they have actual GBA hardware (AGB_FIRM)
Why emulate when you can run natively?
Because no Standby, Savestates, multi-taksing or any other features. I don't care what fanboys say, I know I'm right. SNES VC not being on o3DS just proves my point further.

Gray_Jack

Trophies
XP
Country
This is sadly a fact. The PSP is simply more powerful than the 3DS. Look at Dragonball Z, Monster Hunter and Yu-Gi-Oh on the PSP, they all look better than their 3DS counterparts.

And the PSP can emulate GBA games perfectly, the 3DS can't.

I don't know much about the hardware, but what I know for sure is that the PSP has a higher resolution.

About the GBA emulation, PSP can do it better because we have both userland and kernel access, so we can use all console's potencial to emulate things
In the other hand, we used to have only 3DS userland access, so we only could run stuff using the space that userland can access. Happily now we have arm9loaderhax, that give us 3DS kernel access as well, so... just a matter of time to 3DS can run GBA ROMs perfectly

Last edited by Gray_Jack,

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what everyone seems to be forgetting is that the 3DS OS is a lot more complex than the PSP's. It supports actual multitasking between a main app, a menu and applets, has several dozen background processes and also has to deal with 2-3 framebuffers at the same time. Plus I vaguely recall PSP homebrew being able to overclock the CPU or at least control clocking a lot more than just a random register poke. The PSP (at least from what I've looked at) runs a lot closer to bare metal and imports functions from the kernel/firmware similar to the Wii U, rather than running on top of a bunch of processes and dealing with the communication between those processes.

Dr.Hacknik

Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
Why is this guy being such a Fag? Seriously, the 3DS is Superior in terms of Hardware, i mean come on now! Your just being plain idiotic! The PSP Came out over 10 Years ago, and has hardware more like the DS (Phat, and Lite). The 3DS use's hardware of 2010, and now the New 3DS has a more updated CPU. Sure, the PSP Vita is a bit more powerful, but Comparing the 3DS & PSP/PSP Go is Pointless! @MisterPantsEyes has the Reputation of a Noob, and Literally joined 2 Months ago, behold the Face of a Troll.

EDIT:

Hello, ROM Injecting is a Thing on the 3DS, even the Wii U!!!

And I'm no Fanboy, just stop blaming everyone for being a Fanboy!
I like all Consoles equally, I only judge Consoles by their Hardware and Software.

Reactions: Gray_Jack

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto