Hardware 3DS less powerful than PSP

MisterPantsEyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is sadly a fact. The PSP is simply more powerful than the 3DS. Look at Dragonball Z, Monster Hunter and Yu-Gi-Oh on the PSP, they all look better than their 3DS counterparts.

And the PSP can emulate GBA games perfectly, the 3DS can't.

I don't know much about the hardware, but what I know for sure is that the PSP has a higher resolution.

Reactions: zubz19

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think what might be holding the 3DS back from being more powerful is the OS running in the background. Compared to the PSP, which may have a 333MHz CPU, but I do believe it shuts the OS down in the background, reserving the CPU and GPU to work in the game. I think the big problem here was the push for multi-tasking in the 3DS and Nintendo not giving a better CPU to do it on.

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what might be holding the 3DS back from being more powerful is the OS running in the background. Compared to the PSP, which may have a 333MHz CPU, but I do believe it shuts the OS down in the background, reserving the CPU and GPU to work in the game. I think the big problem here was the push for multi-tasking in the 3DS and Nintendo not giving a better CPU to do it on.
Doesn't MonHun4 and Smash effectively do this on o3ds units?

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Now I wonder, can we shut the OS down so all the power can go into the homebrew?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Doesn't MonHun4 and Smash effectively do this on o3ds units?
I think it takes some of the resources, but keeps the overall OS running. Like well playing them you can't open the web browser (at least I couldn't)

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
The 3ds has a weaker CPU than the PSP but a better GPU. In practice the games look about the same on average. (was just playing RE revelations yesterday though, truly amazing looking game that I don't think PSP could handle)
... but what I know for sure is that the PSP has a higher resolution.
"(800x240 + 320x240) < (272x480)"

you aren't good at math.

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

MisterPantsEyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The 3ds has a weaker CPU than the PSP but a better GPU. In practice the games look about the same on average. (was just playing RE revelations yesterday though, truly amazing looking game that I don't think PSP could handle)

"(800x240 + 320x240) < (272x480)"

you aren't good at math.
It's 400x240, 3D-Mode doesn't make the resolution higher, it just gives a different picture to each eye. And I'm not counting the downscreen.

The PSP still has a higher resolution, which you can notice in like every PSP game.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's 400x240, 3D-Mode doesn't make the resolution higher, it just gives a different picture to each eye. And I'm not counting the downscreen.

The PSP still has a higher resolution, which you can notice in like every PSP game.
You still have to render for each eye, same situation with the Oculus Rift. The DK2 has a 1080p display, but you have to render half 1080p * 1.7 (to compensate for the distortion) per eye, one after the other. Rendering twice is actually pretty taxing, (and isn't exactly the same as rendering twice the resolution) and it's one of the reasons why some games really can't handle 3D on the 3DS.

Reactions: MyJoyConRunsHot

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I believe the 3ds uses nonsquare pixels on the topscreen to achieve the 3d effect.
While in 2d mode these nonsquare(vertically rectangular) pixels group up two pixels width ways to create a square looking pixel to the eye.
In 3d mode the pixels split, pushing a black layer between them, wider or thinner depending on how far you have your 3d slider up.

On the 2ds it would be 400 though.

Nintendo_3DS.jpg

Note how this screen doesn’t have square pixels; two pixels fill up one square. This is so the screen can send a different pixel to each eye, creating the 3D effect.

Last edited by jaksy,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is sadly a fact. The PSP is simply more powerful than the 3DS. Look at Dragonball Z, Monster Hunter and Yu-Gi-Oh on the PSP, they all look better than their 3DS counterparts.
Erm... Sorry but no.
I love my PSP and everything, but the horrible low polycount, bad textures and shaders are... way below 3DS for native games.
And that considering that 3DS doesn't look good or anything.
Oh, and the horrible dithering some games used... argh... why the hell didn't it support enough color depth already... why the hell dithering?
1330605897-sans_titre_1.jpg

That said, the PSP is great for emulation.

dannyboy941

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo 3ds is just use Game Cube/Wii Graphic Engine just with little more lighting etc with 3d effect end done. I think some times if i play 3ds.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is interesting. What about PS Vita? Does it shut off OS when in game?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is interesting. What about PS Vita? Does it shut off OS when in game?
That's a great question. I am not even totally sure the PSP shuts it down completely since it does seem to run some background functions.

Reactions: tivu100

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Blurp.