Hacking 3ds.guide explanation

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And this is why we end up with people who think the hard drive is the "operating system" - or worse: the hard drive is the computer tower. (Source: /r/talesfromtechsupport)
And if those people had an interest they would find more detailed information than "A9LH = Armloaderhax". Why not continue and explain what that is? Or just say it's what load your CFW?

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And if those people had an interest they would find more detailed information than "A9LH = Armloaderhax". Why not continue and explain what that is? Or just say it's what load your CFW?
These people then go on to insist that their computer tower is the "hard drive" because "Person X said so!", and refuse to listen to anyone else who says otherwise.

Example: https://www.reddit.com/r/talesfromt...tu/i_need_you_to_fix_google_bing_immediately/ (there's other posts about the Google Bing lady on TFTS, all of them equally as derpy)

Uumas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It's explained in more detail in installing arm9loaderhax section. I agree that I'm bad at explaining stuff, but it's there anyway.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't teach noobs wrong terms because they're noobs. That literally defies the purpose of this thread, helping them understand, not teaching them wrong things.
If you teach someone something that's wrong then, what's the point of teaching them at all?
The target audience is well met imo, and it helps clear up some definitions on what certain items are. Also, it states for people interested... some people will only want to follow the guide and use their CFW, others may want to understand it a little more. Teaching them something wrong isn't going to help that from my perspective.
Dd you not read my reply before? So why are we not bashing everyone for calling Luma CFW and not a sig patcher when that's what it is? Oh, because most people aren't going to know or even care what you're talking about. But it's still technically incorrect....

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dd you not read my reply before? So why are we not bashing everyone for calling Luma CFW and not a sig patcher when that's what it is? Oh, because most people aren't going to know or even care what you're talking about. But it's still technically incorrect....
Among other things, Luma does more than just signature patching. (Region-free, payload chainloading, and most recently LayeredFS.)

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A permanent system CFW installed to the Internal memory in place of the OS which would require the bootrom keys, that aren't available yet. Like 6.20PRO for the PSP for example..... There are no True CFW available on the 3DS, because they can't be at the moment.

Last edited by Majickhat55,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A permanent system CFW installed to the Internal memory in place of the OS which would require the bootrom keys, that aren't available yet. Like 6.20PRO for the PSP for example.....
A9LH + Luma3DS in CTR NAND. Is that good enough, or does Luma3DS not being in the FIRM partition somehow not make it "magical" enough?

This method also has an advantage of defaulting to the SD card arm9loaderhax.bin, which provides a recovery option in case the CTR NAND version is broken for some reason. Installing directly to FIRM could lead to a brick if it goes wrong, and would require a hardmod plus a NAND backup to fix.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +advantage
Reactions: gnmmarechal

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A9LH + Luma3DS in CTR NAND. Is that good enough, or does Luma3DS not being in the FIRM partition somehow not make it "magical" enough?
Again, splitting hairs it's alright to call it a CFW when it's not, but it's not okay to just call the internal memory the OS when that's all the average user is using, or care about. Either it is, or it isn't. Even though the OS is installed to the NAND, the NAND is not the OS. SO even though you can install the patcher, to CTRNAND it still isn't installed in place of the original OSas it still relies on A9LH, so no it's not a true CFW.

Last edited by Majickhat55,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's only a "true" CFW if you replace the FIRM partition.

This is stupid and anyone who actually has a clue about systems architecture would laugh at that explanation.

By this logic, Windows isn't a "true" OS because it still depends on DOS-era BIOS to boot on most systems.

EDIT: I thought you were previously arguing that "NAND" *was* the OS, not that it was just "internal memory".

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except that's exactly what a real CFW is, it's not something that runs over OFW. Period.
A "real" CFW would be something that doesn't use the original firmware code at all. Examples include DD-WRT and OpenWRT on home routers.

PSP "CFW" isn't real CFW; it's prepatched copies of Sony's firmware. It would take years to completely reverse-engineer and reimplement all of the PSP firmware. (Think on the scale of Wine.)

Reactions: gnmmarechal

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A "real" CFW would be something that doesn't use the original firmware code at all. Examples include DD-WRT and OpenWRT on home routers.

PSP "CFW" isn't real CFW; it's prepatched copies of Sony's firmware. It would take years to completely reverse-engineer and reimplement all of the PSP firmware. (Think on the scale of Wine.)
Agreed, but it's still pre-patched then installed in place of versus being loaded through other means each time you boot. Hardpatches>softpatches are closer to a real CFW than what we have presently.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
It's not wrong per se, the OS is installed to the NAND which is the internal memory. Regardless, a noob is going to understand it AS the OS, and nothing more. If they were more curious or tech savvy, they may be interested further. To help a noob you have to think like one, half of them don't even know what the root of their SD card is, I don't expect them to care one way or the other. That's why I was asking. As long as they know what things DO, and what they can do with them, very little care about the how. So no, I wasn't saying give misinformation on purpose, I was saying give half-information until they understand enough to go into full detail.
It is wrong, per se.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://github.com/uofw/uofw

Reactions: GerbilSoft

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps