Hardware 3DS/DSi - USB charger (home-made)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I recently saw this on the internet: http://www.eachmall.com/goods-33743-33743.html

I do not have charger for my 3DS XL and after i saw this i thought:

"i have plenty of USB cables i don't really need. if 3DS fan be charged with USB cable and a appropriate plug..but wait, i do not have one...but than again, 3DS does have those metal plates for charging of a cradle..why not use that and make something my self!"

(these plates..i'm guessing these are for charging)
mZpRPb4.jpg

But the thing is, im not electrician, but i do know few things and am capable of doing things..but i dont want to do something wrong or blow my 3DS XL :(

Can someone help me out please? :)

crazyace2011

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes the pins are for charging using the cradle. i have a 3ds and a cradle and when you sit the 3ds down on the cradle 2 pins push out touching those contacts and it charges the system. use the right plug for the 3ds and plug into the back of the cradle and provide power to the cradle just sit the 3ds on the cradle and your good to go.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...nkw=3ds+xl+charging+cradle&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
Ok, i see..
but i want to know how to make USB one so i can charge my XL since i don't have charger right now.
And also, i like to do electronic stuff :)

Do i just strip wires of a USB cable or do i need specific cable and what end is (+) and what (-) those kind of stuff :D

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a usb charger from eBay since I dislike the regular one. How to make your own, that I don't know.

tickle.my.pickle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made one... its easy... first cut the 3ds charger port (keep a good lengh for cutting) I think the wires are RED and BLACK (if not black just wire without insulator) then find a usb cable strip it and you'll find 4 wires RED WHITE BLACK GREEN... cut the green wire are the white wire cuz you're not gonna use them... connect both red wires and the naked wire to black wire... secure both wire and tape them... boom homemade 3ds usb charger... :D
I recommend usb Y cable... basically same steps but 2 usb port... for faster charging... :D

Reactions: Metoroid0

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I made one... its easy... first cut the 3ds charger port (keep a good lengh for cutting) I think the wires are RED and BLACK (if not black just wire without insulator) then find a usb cable strip it and you'll find 4 wires RED WHITE BLACK GREEN... cut the green wire are the white wire cuz you're not gonna use them... connect both red wires and the naked wire to black wire... secure both wire and tape them... boom homemade 3ds usb charger... :D
I recommend usb Y cable... basically same steps but 2 usb port... for faster charging... :D

ah cool man, thanks! and that for double speed...cool :)

i do not hawe anything charger related except usb cable... i want to make contact with those plates on 3DS to charge it.

I stripped black & red wire, now i dont know if red should go on right or left plate...? :/

I got a usb charger from eBay since I dislike the regular one. How to make your own, that I don't know.

your impressions? :) how much time does it need to charge 3DS (do you have XL or regular one?)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know why you just dont buy a usb charging cable, you can get them on ebay for $2
Rather then making something that can short out or fry your system

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
OP
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I dont know why you just dont buy a usb charging cable, you can get them on ebay for $2
Rather then making something that can short out or fry your system

that's why i'm asking you guys :D why would it fry out if i do everything as i should.
as i know, it should be super easy since there are 2 wires and the one on ebay is no difference i guess...
two wires connected to 2 ports and charging @ 5V

tickle.my.pickle said that he has done that and it works :)

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because you will have two bare wires
Tickle.my.pickle used an actual 3ds charger connector so his is identical to those you can buy online (minus the electrical tape)

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your impressions? :) how much time does it need to charge 3DS (do you have XL or regular one?)

I don't notice any difference in charging speed. (which is good) I just like having a shorter cable.
how long it takes to charge - dont know, I have yet to time it.
I own an xl. but the battery runs out in less than 2 hours on brightness 4 and WiFi on.. doesn't seem right. So maybe I shouldn't test cables using this battery, since the results might not apply to a battery that lasts as long as its supposed to.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
maybe its not that good idea :/

By the way,, i found some American 3DS charger from some guy, but i live in Europe and my XL is an european.. will that be a problem? i mean to charge euro XL with USA charger

thats the charger...

Depending on the country you live in, it might not be a good idea. The charger shows an input voltage of 110V, but the EU average is something between 220-240V. Basically you'll be frying your charger and/or 3DS. I'd recommend you buy a standard USB cable or a Nintendo charger to power the 3DS. The USB cable works fine, but takes a while longer to charge the whole battery. The original charger is fool proof.

Lucao

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Guys, I don't even know if you'll see this, but thanks to this messages, i was able to revive my cutted charger. You have my gratitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udtLKxVZc5Y