Hacking 3DS CFW wont boot anymore

bensh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hey guys, I have a problem with my 3ds CFW. yesterday while playing , the 3ds just turned off and since then, I cant get it to boot. if I power it on, the blue LED is on, for about a second or so, also the screen just for a fraction of a second blinks, right before it turns off. after some heavy google search, most people say it's because it cant find the arm9loaderhax.bin, but it's definitely there. also I can't boot into luma or something with pressing start at boot. I don't even know which version is currently running, as I did the CFW quite some time ago, I guess sometime in 2016 maybe febuary. if I had to guess I'd say its somewhere about 6.3.x.x version and there is a menuhax folder on it. the 3ds was on Original Firmware 11.3.x.x and worked fine since I configured it back in the day. I appreciate every tips you guys can give, as I can't figure out why it just won't work anymore. Also it didn't fall down or anything and I can't think of a reason why it stopped working.

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
hey guys, I have a problem with my 3ds CFW. yesterday while playing , the 3ds just turned off and since then, I cant get it to boot. if I power it on, the blue LED is on, for about a second or so, also the screen just for a fraction of a second blinks, right before it turns off. after some heavy google search, most people say it's because it cant find the arm9loaderhax.bin, but it's definitely there. also I can't boot into luma or something with pressing start at boot. I don't even know which version is currently running, as I did the CFW quite some time ago, I guess sometime in 2016 maybe febuary. if I had to guess I'd say its somewhere about 6.3.x.x version and there is a menuhax folder on it. the 3ds was on Original Firmware 11.3.x.x and worked fine since I configured it back in the day. I appreciate every tips you guys can give, as I can't figure out why it just won't work anymore. Also it didn't fall down or anything and I can't think of a reason why it stopped working.
First of all, try recovery mode.

bensh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My first guess is to try another sd card. Make sure it's formatted to fat32 and get a clean version of arm9 and the needed files.

I already tried another SD card, with the contents as is, that didn't work. will try this with fresh arm9 later, does it matter which version of arm9 I use?

First of all, try recovery mode.

If you mean the 3ds intern recovery with A+UP+L+R it doesn't work, I already tried that :(

bensh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As you stated in the other post, I did what you said, but to no avail :(

about the other thread, you can reply in this one, and ignore the other one. after I asked in the other Topic, I thought it might be better to just open a new File for this, as it is a bit different error. sorry for asking the same thing twice

Reactions: Quantumcat

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Turn the volume up to see if you hear a pop when it turns off. The symptoms sound like a backlight got disconnected for one of the screens. Also try turning it on in complete darkness, see if the top, bottom, or neither screen flash

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As you stated in the other post, I did what you said, but to no avail :(

about the other thread, you can reply in this one, and ignore the other one. after I asked in the other Topic, I thought it might be better to just open a new File for this, as it is a bit different error. sorry for asking the same thing twice

Maybe the card reader is not making good contact with the card. You might want to try putting some rubbing alcohol on the SD card's contacts then insert and remove it a few times to clean the pins off. I'd at least try that before I took it apart looking for a loose connector. Because I've had systems randomly stop booting before myself. This has always fixed it so far. The card readers on the O3DS XLs especially leave something to be desired.

bensh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Did you try a new SD card?

Run all the ones you have through H2testw (https://3ds.guide/h2testw-(windows), when you find one that finishes with "test finished with no errors" then use that one. If the one you're using doesn't have errors then that's a bit strange but we will work it out.

Yeah I tried a new one just with arm9loaderhax.bin and also with decrypt9.bin. I will test my sd with the tool, but as it takes a while, I guess I will go to sleep for today, and continue tomorrow.

You could try ntrboot and see if that works - https://3ds.guide/ntrboot

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

thanks for your help, even if so far it didn't resolve the problem. unfortunately I cant test that ntr method as I don't have one of the flashcards.

Turn the volume up to see if you hear a pop when it turns off. The symptoms sound like a backlight got disconnected for one of the screens. Also try turning it on in complete darkness, see if the top, bottom, or neither screen flash

I can't hear a sound, but with the original arm9loaderhax file, the bottom screen flashes up just a brief moment, and with the arm9 from the luma 7.0.5 it shows the above mentioned text in that brief moment.

also I tried to rename the decrypt9wip.bin to arm9loaderhax.bin andreplace the arm9, wich results in the blue battery led beeing on until I turn the 3ds off manually. so it doesn't turn off itself, like with the original file, but the screen is just black the whole time neither blinking or showing text.

edit:
Maybe the card reader is not making good contact with the card. You might want to try putting some rubbing alcohol on the SD card's contacts then insert and remove it a few times to clean the pins off. I'd at least try that before I took it apart looking for a loose connector. Because I've had systems randomly stop booting before myself. This has always fixed it so far. The card readers on the O3DS XLs especially leave something to be desired.

I will try that tomorrow, when the h2tw test is finished, thanks for the tip

Last edited by bensh,

bensh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So after I ran the H2wtest, it turned out everything is fine with the SD card as there where no errors detected.

I tried again to put Decrypt9 or godmode9 instead of arm9loaderhax.bin and also tried to rename these files to arm9loaderhax.bin.
unfortunately it didn't work, the blue LED turns on, but other than that, nothing happens. And it doesn't boot something up without renaming the Decrypt or godmode either. at this point I don't really know what to do anymore, as most things require access to the 3ds functions. but the symptoms the 3ds has, let's me think it isn't bricked. :(

bensh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
haha, well it worked for one and a half years now. I don't know what caused this, as it happened while playing. I'm truly at a loss, but I think this is pretty rare of a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.unilad.com/community/life/italy-teen-dies-dropping-phone-bathtub-897501-20240607