Hacking 3DS CFW Install Speed Run Proposal

TheFIrstAv3nger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm I need to figure out how to make my godmode9 firm smaller. My vram0 is almost 3mb by itself. But yeah I agree with having the SD card already setup. Otherwise there are too many variables that are not in the runners control. Could do a 3ds.guide% run that includes everything on the site, thats gonna be a long run though lol

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Sure, it's the newest feature that was added to GodMode9 v1.4.3, the vram0.img option. You can create a vram0.img file (either FAT or ROMFS) which has the files you want inside of it, then add it to the 'data' folder when compiling GodMode9 from source. The resulting file can be injected to your flashcard and when you boot your flashcard via the magnet method, it'll start GodMode9 and the files you had in vram0.img will be found in M:/vram.mem after mounting it.

As for compatibility, the final size of GodMode9 when compiled with a custom vram is limited by how much space your flashcard can store in it's firm. For the R4i-GOLD 3DS RTS cart which I showed in the video, that limit is 1.4MiB. I hear the AK2i can hold more and the DSTT practically none.
is there a noob tutorial of how to compile and injecting the file?

would be nice of someone can share injection file for each flashcart (maybe R4i-b9s file will be differnt from R4i gold RTS?)
what the only needed file for injection?

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You needed 49 minutes for that?
I set up my new N3DS Snes Edition in less than that and I wasn't even intending to be fast. I figure if I was focusing on being fast, I could do it in 15 minutes tops and that's quite possibly slow compared to others already
49 seconds, not minutes. You didn't even watch the video before bashing people.

Reactions: OrGoN3

TheFIrstAv3nger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is there a noob tutorial of how to compile and injecting the file?

would be nice of someone can share injection file for each flashcart (maybe R4i-b9s file will be differnt from R4i gold RTS?)
what the only needed file for injection?

Well it's not really a different injection file. If the cart is compatible with ntrboothax then you should be able to flash godmode9, as long as godmode9 isn't too big to flash to the carts firm. I might make a guide on how to compile it later today or tomorrow.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
49 seconds, not minutes. You didn't even watch the video before bashing people.
Whelp. 49 seconds is indeed impressive.
I just saw the counter and mistook milliseconds for seconds, I figure.
But yeah, basically for this speed run it's exploit to install b9s, have Luma on card already, boot into Luma, inject the homebrew launcher with Rosalina into any app, boot that and open fbi.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

TheFIrstAv3nger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whelp. 49 seconds is indeed impressive.
I just saw the counter and mistook milliseconds for seconds, I figure.
But yeah, basically for this speed run it's exploit to install b9s, have Luma on card already, boot into Luma, inject the homebrew launcher with Rosalina into any app, boot that and open fbi.

That's gonna be way longer than doing it through a godmode9 script. Pretty sure we all know how to hack a 3ds, the whole point of this is to do it as fast as possible and the OP is trying to figure out what the standard should be.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's gonna be way longer than doing it through a godmode9 script. Pretty sure we all know how to hack a 3ds, the whole point of this is to do it as fast as possible and the OP is trying to figure out what the standard should be.
HACK ALL THE 3DS

But yeah. I did it first when menuhax was a thing and you needed 9.1 or lower. That was a different time and it already was pretty advanced already compared to how it worked before, with the MSET and whatsitscalled. Or sysnand cfw with high brick risk. Nowadays it's just too comfortable

Last edited by wurstpistole,

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rubix cube is fairly definitive with its starting point. The time is started as soon as the person begins. You have to have a reasonable way to time a speedrun. Your current proposed start isn't explicit enough unless no one cares about comparing times. You have to have a fairly standard start to make only skill the determining factor. Your start is to arbitrary for anyone to want to bother timing. It should be where tools are set on the table, 3ds off and closed (if clamshell), and then once timer starts the runner can touch the 3ds and tools. Any speedrunner knows you need video proof of times for official record, and no one will record themselves frantically running around their house grabbing tools.
It doesn't have to be an exact setup, but your proposed start isn't specific enough for comparable times. Watch any rubiks cube run and you will see them all start in a similar fashion for their category.
in cubing, you have to have the cube scrambled, covered, and inspected by yourself before time starts

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

TheFIrstAv3nger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So should FBI be a requirement? I think the 3ds is still considered hacked without it. Maybe just require some sort of CIA installer (like the rosalina mod with CIA install support).

Akurosia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can somebody please link a guide on how to inject custom firm files into acekard2i?
My custom compiled Version of GodMode9 is waiting to get injected into the flashcard :P

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
On one side, streamlining operations means someone could probably build an auto installer based on that, making you speedrunners obsolete but helping other users.

On the other side, this is gonna become obsolete very fast. Either by someone building the auto installer mentioned above, or simply by the appearance of a new method ending up faster than NTRboot and/or as easy as CFW installing on PSPs, which will reduce the challenge to "How fast can you launch a hax ?".

At the very least, remember to have fun, everyone.

TheFIrstAv3nger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On one side, streamlining operations means someone could probably build an auto installer based on that, making you speedrunners obsolete but helping other users.

On the other side, this is gonna become obsolete very fast. Either by someone building the auto installer mentioned above, or simply by the appearance of a new method ending up faster than NTRboot and/or as easy as CFW installing on PSPs, which will reduce the challenge to "How fast can you launch a hax ?".

At the very least, remember to have fun, everyone.

It's pretty much an automated installer right now lol, with godmode9 scripting you can run everything you need with little to no user input. Takes about 45 seconds if you're just installing boot9strap, luma, hbl and FBI, so that's gonna be hard to beat. But if this does cause people to streamline it and make it easier/more available for people then that's a plus.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: Currently asked for mecha mote iinchou mm my best friend to be translated but I also want to ask...