Hacking 3 TB Seagate Works...

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for confirming that! Did you format the entire drive to FAT32? Or a mix of FAT32/WBFS? How many partitions?

That is the exact drive I was looking to get, so I am really glad to hear it can work!

Just a straight FAT32 with a single partition. I'd bought the drive because I've out grown my 2T & 3T for Movies & TV programs, but then decided to try it out for the Wii first. I was going to use onr of those smaller drives for the Wii, but then decided you can never have too much for it. Works great with everything on it: 1187 Wii's, Thousands of consoles, a few songs and still 1.57TB free. Next I'll be adding GameCubes to it using DIOS MIOS.

Also, I've recently added a SanDisk 32GB SDHC Class 10 UH-I Flash Card that works great (Staples $29.99 on sale). I wans't going to risk the 64GB or 128GB SDXC unless I heard someone else had one working.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Just a straight FAT32 with a single partition.

How did you get a 4 TB to format FAT32? I thought it had a 2 TB limit?

As for SDXC, I suggested here in early 2012 that there is no reason why SDXC should not work if formatted correctly. One person ended up trying 64 GB SDXC and posted a video of it working. I am going to try a 128 GB SDXC card next month. If you want to wait until I try it I will post my results, and make an HD video as proof.

I was going to get a 4 TB next month for my Wii as well, but my 3 TB for my computer is outgrown (only 18 GB left, and no backups!) and need to get a new hard drive for it which will push getting a new Wii hard drive back another month or so.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you get a 4 TB to format FAT32? I thought it had a 2 TB limit?

As for SDXC, I suggested here in early 2012 that there is no reason why SDXC should not work if formatted correctly. One person ended up trying 64 GB SDXC and posted a video of it working. I am going to try a 128 GB SDXC card next month. If you want to wait until I try it I will post my results, and make an HD video as proof.

I was going to get a 4 TB next month for my Wii as well, but my 3 TB for my computer is outgrown (only 18 GB left, and no backups!) and need to get a new hard drive for it which will push getting a new Wii hard drive back another month or so.

Yes please post if the 128GB SDXC works. Once I outgrow my 32GB or the prices drop on those 128GB I'd upgrade to it.

I didn't even think of a limitation for the 4TB. I formatted it using the FAT32_GUI_Formatter that was included in my ModMii download. I just checked the drive and under properties it says: Used 2.17TB, Free 1.46TB & Capacity 3.63TB. I'd formatted it on my Win 7 64-bit laptop, but am looking at it now here on my work XP 23-bit system. Not sure if that would have made a difference.

For back-ups I'm currently in the process of full formatting (FAT32 for future easy Wii access) my three original 1TB hard drives used to hold the Wii's. I'm on drive #2 and it'll be another 9 hours before it finishes. Once everythings reformatted and copied over I'll put the 1TB's on my book shelf as a back up for safe keeping. Thinking I might need to put a RAID drive tower together, I'm up to 17TB between 11 drives. Not good when a drive goes down. I'm thinking two 5 bay towers with 4TB drives when I can afford it, but not anytime soon.

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes please post if the 128GB SDXC works. Once I outgrow my 32GB or the prices drop on those 128GB I'd upgrade to it.

OK, but since SDXC is off topic for this thread I will post it on the other thread. I really hope it does work, because if so it would suggest that it should work as high as 2 TB when they become available. Of course, everyone will be scared of every new high capacity until then regardless. lol

I didn't even think of a limitation for the 4TB. I formatted it using the FAT32_GUI_Formatter that was included in my ModMii download. I just checked the drive and under properties it says: Used 2.17TB, Free 1.46TB & Capacity 3.63TB. I'd formatted it on my Win 7 64-bit laptop, but am looking at it now here on my work XP 23-bit system. Not sure if that would have made a difference.

That is very interesting. I use the same program to format to FAT32. I wouldn't have expected that to work, but it's nice to know that it does. That really simplifies things.

For back-ups I'm currently in the process of full formatting (FAT32 for future easy Wii access) my three original 1TB hard drives used to hold the Wii's. I'm on drive #2 and it'll be another 9 hours before it finishes. Once everythings reformatted and copied over I'll put the 1TB's on my book shelf as a back up for safe keeping. Thinking I might need to put a RAID drive tower together, I'm up to 17TB between 11 drives. Not good when a drive goes down. I'm thinking two 5 bay towers with 4TB drives when I can afford it, but not anytime soon.

That's a good policy. I still have old 512 MB hard drives. lol. And then there is the 2 GB hard drive I bought when they were a big deal. It's great for keeping data backed up, but I am finding that my older hard drives seem to last longer than the newer hard drives. That's why I have the same data on incrementally increased hard drives. If one fails, I have the one before that and the one before that.

Personally, I am looking forward to the days when HVD is a viable storage option. In theory they could go up to 10 TB on a compact disc. I know that rumors suggest how the PS4 or Xbox 720 might use it, but I don't really see it happening. Since Microsoft lost the format war for HD I could see them wanting to push HVD, but last I checked Nintendo shared the patent with Nphase. Then again, Nphase went bankrupt so who knows where Nintendo stands with it? In any case, won't it be interesting when all those hard drive backups will fit on a few compact discs? And what would it mean for backup loaders if games start to push through 10 TB in the next few years?

Brian Lombardo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for posting this information - I just got myself a 4tb drive (actually its only 3.6 tb) and it works GREAT as fat32 - or as NTFS logical. I was going to add this to the wiki but could not figure out how to do it properly - I made a post with the following info on it... I'm pasting it here simply because it is relevant to this topic as well.

I will promote my question link here for anyone who cares to discuss how to edit the wiki....: http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-usb-devices-compatibility-list-needs-updated.354131/

The wiki I refer to is located here:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List#2TB

======================

-----------------===============-----------------
Details:
-----------------------------
Western Digital Mybook Essential

Staples link: http://www.staples.com/WD-My-Book-E...B-30-External-Hard-Drive-Black/product_103514

Item: 103514

Model: WDBACW0040HBK
Model number on box has 'NESN' at the end
Model number on actual hard drive case has 'H1' at the end

Number on receipt: 718037802701

Inside of this WD drive is a Hitachi Part number 0F14697

-------------------------
Homebrew -works
Geexbox - untested
USB loader - works

--------------------

Notes:
Worked as FAT32 and as NTFS Logical.
WiiMC works fine
Not tested on ps3 or xbox

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you should use FAT32 partition now.
WBFS partition format is not needed anymore (and is unstable).
That's the result of taking information in old threads/topics.

a lot of homebrew need FAT32 anyway (gamecube, emuNAND, etc.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: show him fighting in ww2