Hacking Found the Infamous MFE bug with HBC!

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
I was fiddling with the geexbox to make it run but to no avail. Then an idea came to my mind, maybe it was because the low free space. I removed 6 wads and tried again. Couldn't get geexbox working then I tried mfe, it was freezing into the 20-30 seconds of a movie before. And voila it worked!

I guess it's not directly related to the free nand space in the wii but about the size of the banners on the menu. I guess about the caching of the banners in the system menu. Decreasing them suddenly made mfe working which was only working with the direct tp hack before.

Now I have 15 channels on my menu and 2 duplicated news and weather channels, and I have 440 blocks of free nand space

Could someone else confirm this?

Edit: It was something else, Culprit was WiiConnect24, enabling it interferes with the MFE. Disabling the WiiConnect24 prevents the freezing problem.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MFE(the media player) doesn't usually work too well with anything other than the TP hack; I'm fairly sure this is the bug he's referring to.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
jayparadox said:
I've got about 350MB free in my Wii(only 5 channels) and it still freezes at 30sec.

Well I'll install channels and see if the problem repeats, and then uninstall again if it really solves. maybe something else I did to my setup just solved the problem.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're experiencing freezing, it's due to the file you're using or the SD card.

I've posted time and time again that the MFE will play an entire movie through if you stick to short file names.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mcj said:
WiiCrazy said:
and this is the Wii Hacking thread, right?

lol ... that's great

if you've read some of the threads here it shouldn't be a big surprise at the previous comments

Yeah... what does he think this is, Tehskeen?

cobain76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know if short names is the answer, I never had problems watching the videos, I have seen a lot of movies, the whole 4 season of lost, and the 1st and 2nd of Dr. House and I've never renamed the files, and a lot of those files have names like this:

House.S02E21.Euphoria.Part2.iNTERNAL.DVDRip.XviD-FoV.avi

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following channels are installed in my Wii:
-FCEU
-Genesis
-Snes9x
-Hombrew channel (old version)
-Wad installer channel
-some virtual Console Games (2 N64, 1 Neo Geo, 2 TG16, 1 Genesis, 2 Nes)
-wii fit channel
-Metroid prime
-Internet Channel
-Everybody votes
-Weather channel

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also I've never used the TP hack to boot MFE, I always use the older version Homebrew Channel (the No time limit version), and as I said before, no problem, I can see the whole video.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
teq said:
mcj said:
WiiCrazy said:

lol ... that's great

if you've read some of the threads here it shouldn't be a big surprise at the previous comments

Oh, I'll open my next topic with a super noob friendly subject. Since when hacking has to do with noobs? And it's funny to be flamed like that knowing usually noobs get flamed here because of asking stupid questions and getting google it phrases and rickrolling
smile.gif

By the way I'm not a member yet there are lots of noobs at tehskeen too.. I wouldn't be surprised if I got the same response there.

And finally this bug has nothing to do with filenames since MFE runs nicely when launched directly by TP hack which I stated in the initial post too.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
teq said:
mcj said:
WiiCrazy said:

lol ... that's great

Oh, I'll open my next topic with a super noob friendly subject. Since when hacking has to do with noobs? And it's funny to be flamed like that knowing usually noobs get flamed here because of asking stupid questions and getting google it phrases and rickrolling
smile.gif

By the way I'm not a member yet there are lots of noobs at tehskeen too.. I wouldn't be surprised if I got the same response there.

And finally this bug has nothing to do with filenames since MFE runs nicely when launched directly by TP hack which I stated in the initial post too.

We were insulting the noobs, not you.

As far as the bug is concerned, I'll call your bluff. Try running a file with a name that's longer than 32 characters.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
teq said:
As far as the bug is concerned, I'll call your bluff. Try running a file with a name that's longer than 32 characters.

Well I use the same avi everytime I test this,
this one :
http://www.livet.se/visa/video/VisaRoster_...ulator_Live.avi

I didn't touch the filename, it was playing nice with tp hack but not with homebrew channel. It was freezing at the exact same location everytime before get fixed.
Now it's funny I can't reproduce the bug. I installed those channels again yet it still works. Playing with the order of the channels to reproduce it, still no luck...

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
I gave up, I can't reproduce the same problem again, probably it was because of my notebook's sd driver or something. It can be a case with the applications mounting and unmounting sd card. What I did recently was formatting my notebook and installing the os from scratch. And that's just a possibility...

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Yay! Finally found the cause
smile.gif

It was WiiConnect24 after all
smile.gif

When the 3.3 update released I had disabled the WiiConnect24, after lots of testing now that came to my mind and enabled it back. It freezed again
smile.gif

I guess when enabled it runs in the background and claims the memory or just interferes with the mfe application. That explains why it was working with just running mfe through the tp hack
smile.gif

Another test, disabled WiiConnect24, as expected mfe does not crash...

edit: by the way all this for the problem described in the first post, it's not related to the other problems with the mfe like crashin after pressing a button, long filenames and such.

mcj

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WiiCrazy said:
smile.gif

Actually I wasn't flaming you. I was laughing at the comment about the "this is the wii hacking thread right?"

My response meant you wouldn't know it by some of the posts here. On the other hand you know what you are talking about

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
mcj said:
WiiCrazy said:
smile.gif

Actually I wasn't flaming you. I was laughing at the comment about the "this is the wii hacking thread right?"

My response meant you wouldn't know it by some of the posts here. On the other hand you know what you are talking about

Well my response was not directed to you, It was to Teq. I read the "he" as referring to me. Some confusions here
smile.gif

Glad you supported me
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER