Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP

New protection on DS carts

Can't dump them anymore

Our friends over at GBArl.it report that a new type of protection was found in the commercial DS game cart Jet Impulse/DS Air. We don't know exactly the differences with previous hardware yet, but this game cannot be dumped with the usual methods.

Is Nintendo attempting to put an end to piracy on the DS? Or is it just an isolated case? Future will tell... Kudos again to our friends:

icon11.gif
News source (in italian), by Nemo_DS (original source of the news: yyjoy.com)

c10.gif
Update: in their latest dump, WRG included a bunch of pictures of the cart and screenshots of their dumping tool. You can download the pictures here, thanks to DS-Man.

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Interesting. But it won't last long till it's dumped I say. If they managed to dump R4, M3 Simply and PassCard, this won't take much longer.

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this mean new methods must be used now, or will it be impossible completely?

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Huh, interesting.

Maybe this will finally lead to the developement of dumping software that can be used on more cards than just the GBA Movie Player CF and M3 CF.

MarcoZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
GBArl rules.
BTW i think that that cart needs only a new dumper, and maybe a patch, but anything can happen...

MarcoZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
well, assuming they really wont, we need new slot-1 devices (DSLinker/DS Fire link/DS-X) compatibles with new protections

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I was ready to place an another R4 order very soon, possibly today but after hearing this, I am going to wait and see what going on.
Edit, I don't know what a real DS cart looks like inside. From the pic, I'm guessing the chip is the protection. Is it the small chip or the big one?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
meh i doubt this will stop people dumping their games completely they will find another way and H8TR that's a pretty silly reason not to buy a R4, out of all the current DS games that's out there right now (over 800) you stop buying a R4 because of one game that cannot be dumped? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over