Review [OLD] Slot-1 Flashcards Comparison Chart

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
This guide was written on the 17th of October, by Costello for GBAtemp.net.
IT IS NOT UP TO DATE - WILL BE UPDATED SOON
Please stop asking us to include other slot-1 solutions in the chart. We will do it, you don't have to ask. It's just a matter of time
wink.gif

Note: We do not yet have a Microninja unit but we thought it might still be worth including it in the chart and mentionning its announced features.

Green background cells point out a big 'pro'
Red background cells point out a big 'con'

Feel free to comment on this, provide new information and share your thoughts.

webez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow, cool chart. But DS-X is 116$

Edit: Sorry, that would be in euros. The price is ok in dollars. What a big difference

Edit2: It seems the 103$ price is wrong

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Great chart Costello!

Only problem I noticed was the save file size/type for the DS-Link.
It has 520 KB .sav files.
I have just checked my DSLink, most saves are indeed 520 kbytes but some of them are still 256
smile.gif

thanks for noticing that!

edit: ok it is updated. you need to refresh the frame (right click on the chart itself then "refresh this frame")

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dang, that site you mentioned for the DS-X is all sold out too, looks like I'm out of luck, the price to pay for not believing in the DS-X.

Paladin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed a good chart to refer to when deciding on a good 1-slot solution.
Seems that DS-X definitely has a lot going for it. I might get it even if it has only 512 MBs of space ;]

EDIT: Would it be fair for me to assume that the DS-X will support more formats besides MP3, and OGG in future OS updates?

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to ask...

Does the fact you put "nearly perfect" for DS-X homebrew mean you've actually tested it with all of the big homebrew programs out there now?

And is it fair to say stuff like "Frequent Updates" when it hasn't even come out yet?

Lastly, NinjaDS has built in WiFi FTP? Does that mean FTP into your flash card and upload files? That'd be great!

Thanks for the chart!

P.S. Splash screens = :'(

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I'll correct the chart tomorrow but it was written *before* we found out about Pokémon diamond not working on the DS-X (hence the dsx compatibility is said to be "perfect" while it should be "nearly perfect")
"Frequent updates" for the DSX means they release firmwares frequently. They have already sent us one firmware update because our cart was shipped with firmware 1.0.0, so they got us v1.0.1 (which is included in all retail carts).

About homebrew on DS-X, yes we have! Read our DS-Xtreme review
wink.gif

We've tested the top 10 homebrew on DS.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lastly, NinjaDS has built in WiFi FTP? Does that mean FTP into your flash card and upload files? That'd be great!
That's right. If you check our NinjaDS review you'll see we covered that.
wink.gif

I actually remember reading it a while ago, but that particular feature sounds so nice I just had to reiterate!

QUOTE(Costello @ Oct 16 2006, 09:02 PM)I'll correct the chart tomorrow but it was written *before* we found out about Pokémon diamond not working on the DS-X (hence the dsx compatibility is said to be "perfect" while it should be "nearly perfect")
"Frequent updates" for the DSX means they release firmwares frequently. They have already sent us one firmware update because our cart was shipped with firmware 1.0.0, so they got us v1.0.1 (which is included in all retail carts).

About homebrew on DS-X, yes we have! Read our DS-Xtreme review
wink.gif

We've tested the top 10 homebrew on DS.

Cool, going right now!

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll also need to change the DS-X price as its $117.00 US at that store and up to $130 elsewhere. Its not cheap but its a great product, if they would just make a 1GB or microSD I would be sold.

Nice job btw!

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

id242

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do apologize if i sound ignorant here - although "DS Homebrew compatibility" is listed, would it be to much to also list if these slot-1 flashcarts could also run GBA or even other such rom formats? (SMS, SNES, GBC, NES...etc)

or are these formats completely unheard of on a slot-1 solution?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: +1