zune 120gb vs 8gb itouch

superdude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
seems like your going both ways... but the videos if you want them in good quality take over 30-90gb at least mine do then i have around 10gb of music so i should take 100gb and there isn't even an itouch that goes to 32gb plus i am going to get the product safety plan which sometimes costs more on different products so in the end i'll have 20gb left

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
superdude said:
seems like your going both ways... but the videos if you want them in good quality take over 30-90gb at least mine do then i have around 10gb of music so i should take 100gb and there isn't even an itouch that goes to 32gb plus i am going to get the product safety plan which sometimes costs more on different products so in the end i'll have 20gb left
Bolded part made no sense. There is a 32GB iPod Touch.

Also do you really need your whole music/video library with you at all times? I do have videos, my library is 30GB, and I survived 2 years with 4GB of storage. If you finish watching something or don't need it, don't sync it. And don't go bullshitting me with "oh for convenience" because by definition convenience is "the quality of being useful [...]" and useful != having 90GB of videos with you at all times.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
bobrules said:
you guys are all spoiled by huge capacity. 8GB is 8 times the size of my favourite songs. I don't see a need for touch screen.
Not if you use FLAC. My Serj Tankian Album is 350 megs in FLAC, and Viva la Vida is 235 Megs. Yet, I still only have 3 or 5 gigs gigs....

mastermanna123

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
im gonna buy a Nokia N96 in a couple months....waiting for a price drop >.>

but then again, its an amazing peice of tech.
Its like an iTouch and Zune put together...more iTouch...and not to mention other added in extras
IMHO, i stick wit a good cell phone for my media playback over just a device that does is inferior.

SOME (they usually have playback failures when it comes to videos) Multimedia cell phones (Nokia N95/96, samsung instinct/Inspir8, etc) >>> just ur usual media player (iTouch, Zune, sansa, etc)

as urza has stated: "why the fuck wud i want something inferior?"

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
superdude said:
well of course when you use apple products with a mac it will work better becuse it's apple but if you use windows products with windows xp/vista they will work better becuse it's windows
I've never had any problems using an iPhone with Windows, so that's just bullshit.

QUOTEIts like an iTouch and Zune put together...more iTouch...and not to mention other added in extras
Not really.

The iTouch interface is far superior to anything procued by Nokia thus far.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tropicana said:
bobrules said:
you guys are all spoiled by huge capacity. 8GB is 8 times the size of my favourite songs. I don't see a need for touch screen.
Not if you use FLAC. My Serj Tankian Album is 350 megs in FLAC, and Viva la Vida is 235 Megs. Yet, I still only have 3 or 5 gigs gigs....
I find it hard to believe that someone with only 3-5GB of music is enough of an audiophile to be able to tell the difference between FLAC and vbr mp3.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Urza said:
Tropicana said:
bobrules said:
I find it hard to believe that someone with only 3-5GB of music is enough of an audiophile to be able to tell the difference between FLAC and vbr mp3.

As I mentioned before, that I just recently started using FLAC, and I've erased about 5 gigs of music that I don't listen to (Which were in Mp3s. Still kept the songs in 320kps). Though I've been lurking through Head-fi for about 5 months, I'm not really an audiophile, since I don't have an amp, or even good headphones. I don't even have a decent mp3 player at the moment, (Since I'm using a DS, which doesn't have any space left.) though I still plan to get a Cowon D2, etc.

Also, I'm just preparing a better setup, when I get my Audio Technica ESW9 with recable, and an amp...

ENDscape

REBORN! I will post with my Dying Will!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WHOAA. I thought it was iTouch DS...Stupid people these days...sorry guys
But yeah, i hate anything apple. Overrated much?

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't believe that I just read through this whole thread....
Just to put my 2 cents in:

I'm trying to be as unbiased as I can be, and having owned an iPod mini for the last 3 years or so and recently upgrading to a Zune, I have a general idea of the two products (yes, I know that the iPod mini is a whole different system than the iPod touch). I hate when people on and off the internet bitch about how iPods are overrated and buy a Zune or Creative or something, just so they aren't "mainstream". I considered buying an iPod touch, and probably would have gotten one if it wasn't for the small amount of memory. I like to keep my whole collection of music on me, just for the heck of it, and I also love having videos (hello seasons 1-9 of southpark), and I just couldn't do that on an iPod Touch. I also love the wireless connectivity for downloading podcasts, and the social features are nice, but are more of a gimmick than anything else. Yes, the online functions on the iPod Touch are great, but I see no use for them since I can already go on the internet on my DS, my Wii, my Phone, and oh yeah, my computer
yaynds.gif

Of course, I just explained why a Zune fit my personal needs over an iPod Touch, and didn't really brush against what I though was the better music player.

Oh well.

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For myself, I prefer the iPod Touch vs anything else out there. First it has nice support from its AppStore, which has a lot of entertaining games, to some nice utilities.
Next is, as said in the OP, it is almost like pocket computer. Computers these days are pretty overpowered for an average user. Most people just want to be able to type a paper, check the internet, and send email. The iPod Touch can do 2 out of 3 of those things, just can't really write a paper with it. I think one advantage of the iPod over a computer is portability; you can check your email, and internet where you have wifi, which is almost anywhere these days. Another advantage I can think of is power draw. The iPod is powered by a little battery, compared to even a netbook. The iPod touch can last for a couple more hours than an average netbook (not comparing those crazy laptops with 10-24 hours of power >.>). Compared to the power draw for charging an iPod to powering up a computer, I think you'd save on your electric bill if you started using an iPod Touch for just checking your email, rss, and internet, than powering on a laptop, or even more, a desktop with a 400watt power supply, lol.
Bad side of the iPod Touch is for me, being a Windows user. It works with iTunes pretty well; syncing music and what not, the problem lies in programs it supports. The only bookmarks that can be synced are from Internet Explorer, so that throws out Opera and Firefox users (Firefox users can use some program to sync bookmarks, or use the addon "PlainOldFavorites" as a work around). Next, the only program that can fully utilize syncing is Outlook (not Outlook Express), as it can sync contacts, calendars, and email. If you don't have Outlook, you're out of luck syncing a calendar with your iPod, as no other program is support (no Sunbird support >.>), contacts can sync natively with Window Contacts/Windows Address Book, but half the time I'm guessing people use an online client, or Thunderbird, or something else. Windows Mail and Outlook Express are support, but Windows Mail doesn't support http email (good bye to hotmail), and it can be buggy when you're using POP with an Antivirus that scans email (corrupts your email database), and Outlook Express doesn't have a junk mail filter I believe, and it's rather old too (work around is use IMAP for your email, which is what I did with Gmail). So for a Windows user, using it as a nice PDA to sync with everything on your computer is pretty tough, unless you have Outlook (which is pretty expensive to actually buy.) Another thing I don't like about the iPod Touch is the inability to use it as a hard drive natively. There are Apps in the AppStore that allow it to be a pseudo wireless hard drive, but they cost money. The last thing I don't like is the fact that mobile safari doesn't support flash, and you can't download files (unless jailbroken).
I don't know much about the Zune itself, but I think if you're looking for something tat just plays music and videos, then that would be a better way to go vs getting an iPod Touch. However from trying a Zune out in best buy, the interface felt really sluggish, and I'd very much prefer the interface of an iPod over that. However, I don't know about the other brands like Cowon and Creative. Seems like Cowon has something similar to the iPod Touch which higher capacities. Can't remember if it was them though.
This is almost like comparing the PSP to a DS. The DS is primarily a game console, where the PSP can do multiple things, such as play videos, music, play games and surf the web. Each has their own strong points, it just depends on what you're really looking for. I'm planning on getting myself my second iPod Touch (returned the first one because 2G came out, love Costco
smile.gif
), and this'll be my "first" iPod ever, just because it does more than just play MP3s.

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saylient_Dreams said:
Computers these days are pretty overpowered for an average user. Most people just want to be able to type a paper, check the internet, and send email.
Maybe if you're over the age of 70.
From what I've noticed at my high school, more and more people are getting into torrenting, photoshop, pc gaming, etc.
Obviously, you can't do those things on an iPod Touch. If you're trying to say that your iPod could replace a computer for most people, there is a huge flaw in your logic.

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Jhongerkong said:
lol, if you get a touch then have fun paying for firmware updates
As of anything above 2.0 you're not paying for fw updates. And nobody has fun paying for anything
laugh.gif

This whole topic really does feel like its an ill comparison though. True Apple and M$ are rivals in the PMP market, but I think a more fair comparison would be iPod classic against the Zune.

And to be honest, after using a Zune (first gen), iPod classic, iPod nano (2nd and 3rd gen), iPod Touch (1st gen), and iPhone (1st and 2nd gen) its my (biased on comparison) opinion that Apple makes the better product for me. If you want to know why, read my essay
lecture.gif

Knab

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i own a zune 30gb and a itouch 32gb, and to tell you the truth i got the zune at first cause i hated apple. but after i started having issues with the zune like the screen wouldnt come on for 30+ seconds after i pushed the button, or it wouldnt play the song when i pushed play for like 20 seconds after it i bought the ipod itouch and ive been happy with it since.

idk what the hell that guys talking about buying the FW updates i never had to and i went from 1.1.4 to 2.1 with all the ones in between and never paid.

as Shinji said its not fair to compare the zune and itouch. the itouch is more of a PDA with a music focus, and once you jail break that bitch the skies the limit.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ENDscape said:
WHOAA. I thought it was iTouch DS...Stupid people these days...sorry guys
But yeah, i hate anything apple. Overrated much?
lol yea
iTouch isnt what its called, its really called ipod touch, people tend to say itouch and I also automatically think of the itouchds

wacko.gif

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you are looking for *just* an mp3 player, go for the zune. Tactile controls are very nice, just volume doesn't cut it. I recently bought an ipod touch and I can't tell you how many times I listened to a song I didn't want to hear again / had to pull out an earphone just because I didn't want to alert those around me that I have an expensive electronic device in my possession. The audio quality of the ipod touch is also a tad disappointing, a noticeable downgrade from my meizu m6 ( I don't know where the zune ranks). Also, storage, usability as a hard drive, and non proprietary tv out (FUCK YOU APPLE, PURPOSELY PREVENTING THIRD PARTY CABLES WITH FIRMWARE UPDATES FORCING THE CONSUMER TO BUY YOUR 50 DOLLAR CABLE).

On the other hand, if you ever want to quickly check the internet, access a dictionary, or utilize internet radio on the go (pandora included), the ipod touch is most likely the choice to go (and the choice I made)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Meth cake lol