You've Got Mail!

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
(parts got wildly censored by evil staff. send your complains to the admins!)

Anyway, I'm quitting work tomorrow. I was gonna hold out for another week or so, but I really can't take customers anymore. Every last one of those loathsome creatures (OK, maybe not all of 'em. Some of 'em are actually pretty nice...but the vast majority...), can go burn in hell. "Oh, I charged you 0.00 for a magazine that we ran out of that I'm required to scan anyway, lest I listen to my RSD bitch and moan for an hour? Sorry! Let me just undo that. Your total's the same, asswipe."

I was supposed to quit three weeks ago. My manager kept asking me to stay, and as a favor to him, being indebted to him for hiring me a year ago, I obliged. Many times. Not to mention the many hours that I've left him clocked in while he was gone. Not to mention the duties of his that I've done, the hours I've worked unpaid, the disgruntled customers I've had to deal with because he, for some inexplicable reason, can't give correct information about refunds or products to the customers. I've paid my dues, in my opinion. I owe him nothing anymore, and he's known for a long time that I've been wanting to quit.

stories-of-ibis-cover.jpg

Away from that, I've been reading (and completed) this really amazing book, The Stories of Ibis. While I certainly don't agree with much of the overlying messages, it's definitely a unique perspective in what a man is. What our responsibilities are. What separates one life-form from another, and what life really is. I don't mean to give anything away, so with brevity I'll describe what the book is about. In a seemingly not-so-bright future, man-kind has dwindled to around 25-million globally, across scattered camps, while robots rule in large areas, seemingly non-violently. A storyteller is captured by one of the robots and is "forced" to listen to the stories that one robot, Ibis, has to tell, all being complete fiction at the storyteller's request, not wanting to be subject to "robot propaganda". It's roughly 420 pages, and is definitely monkat-approved.

Been replaying Persona 3 Portable, grinding a lot more this time, because last time I just kept getting my ass handed to me for seemingly no reason. Now, I feel completely overleveled. Still a good game over-all, though. Much better than "3rd Birthday", that piece of crap. I can't progress in the game because I need to wait for a body to transfer into, but he doesn't appear until I'm dead. Fantastic.

Sooo.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m63E22LemIY[/youtube]

137366.gif

monkat

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Well, thanks for the insight.

Quite.

It actually came out more eloquent than I imagined it being, having entered the blog section.

Never know what can come out of a monkat
wink.gif

monkat

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
As for the Stories of Ibis, I'm definitely interested. Thanks, I'm downloading it on my Nook now.

Definitely a great choice.

Just a heads-up for all of you though, since I don't think it came off clearly in my description.

It's kind of like a collection of short stories, all connected through an over-arching plot.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
God I love Sorairo Days. I'm not that big on Gurren Lagann (on a critical scale I'd give it a 3 out of 5 and a 7 out of 10), but Sorairo Days is my favorite anime song of all.

monkat

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
God I love Sorairo Days. I don't like Gurren Lagann that much (on a critical scale I'd give it a 3 out of 5 and a 7 out of 10), but Sorairo Days is my favorite anime song of all.

Aye it is a truly amazing song. I especially love this edit (hence...why it's here!)

Feel free to be wrong about the anime, though. I don't judge. Much.

Did you (was it you?) ever finish that review you said you were gonna make, by the way?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
machomuu said:
God I love Sorairo Days. I don't like Gurren Lagann that much (on a critical scale I'd give it a 3 out of 5 and a 7 out of 10), but Sorairo Days is my favorite anime song of all.

Aye it is a truly amazing song. I especially love this edit (hence...why it's here!)

Feel free to be wrong about the anime, though. I don't judge. Much.

Did you (was it you?) ever finish that review you said you were gonna make, by the way?
Not yet. Actually, I don't know why people don't like the rating 7 out of 10. It means "good", 'cause it is a good show that I need to rewatch without expectations, I'll probably like it more. Reason being I have no reason not to like it, I just don't like how they depend on fighting spirit and older Simon (I like him, but he kinda annoys me). That's it. I have no reason not to like this show, because in many ways it resembles my all time favorite anime (in my sig), including storywise.

I need to see it again.

monkat

OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Actually, I don't know why people don't like the rating 7 out of 10.

For the record, I'm certainly not actually judging the rating without any context behind it xD!

I guess it's a very subjective thing. Back before I watched it, I was bored. Bored with classes, bored with friends, bored with life in general. I simply stopped doing homework, since my test grades stayed the same. No food to eat? "Whatever..." It's hard to put into words, but living was just plain boring for me. Maybe back then, I did want to die--not out of something traumatic or horrible, just out of life being such a pain to deal with, compared to the benefit--though it's hard to say for sure, seeing as that was many years ago at this point xD!

Needless to say, I'm certainly not the person that I am today. Certainly looking back on it, I can see why my parent's thought I was depressed xD! I'm sure the lot of you remember everything I posted here--it pretty much would have been the opposite had I stayed the same. "Whatever." "Why should I care about your problems?" "You guys are so obnoxious." etc.

I'm not gonna get all sappy and be all "IT CHANGED MY LIEF 4RLZ GAIZ". While it certainly did, in a sense, it's a show. A television show. There's limits to what it can and can not do. What it really did was put life in words that I can understand, so to speak. Of course when you're a kid, you hear adults talk about how you have to "believe in yourself", and that "It's not about the destination, it's about the journey," but it always came off as fake to me, as I'm sure it does to everyone else. Yet....most of those cheesy lines from our childhood stand true.

(for the record, if you don't think I act like I do here in real life, feel free to talk to @slavicsaga - my girlfriend - about it on twitter!)

Life is what you make of it. If you let it pass by you, you'll be miserable. You have to "take life by the horns", as it were, and then punch it in the fucking face. If you don't make goals, you'll never accomplish them. And...it's not really an accomplishment if someone else had you aim for it. Aim for your own target. Even if you've never picked up a bow before, you keep trying until you get a bull's-eye.

Monkat OUT

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
monkat said:
Terminator02 said:
well damn monkat, no wonder you rewatch that anime every week

Pft.

Not every week....

Speaking of: I just finished rewatching TTGL.

WHY IS KITTAN-YOKO SUBPLOT SOFA KING TACKED ON!? SOMEONE PLEEASE EXPLAINDED IT TO MEH!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1